PDA

View Full Version : 45 colt questions

starmac
02-03-2014, 02:54 AM
I have a lee 300 grain gas check mold and hornady checks. Either the gas check shank on the mold is a hair large, or the gas checks are a hair small. I tend to think it is the mold itself.

From everything I have read, there is really no reason to use a gas check on slow moving boolits. These will never see 1000 fps, so wouldn't I be better off having the gas shank drilled out of this mold and forget gas checks entirely.

Another question I have is why does my 47 th edition Lyman say trim the brass to 1.280, and the 49th and the 4th edition cast handbook both say trim to 1.275.
Most of my new starline brass is not even 1.280 to start with. I don't see this as a problem, just find it odd.

Lonegun1894
02-03-2014, 04:32 AM
As to the length, I would say just go for consistency, regardless of which length you choose. As for the bullet, have you tried to give it a little tap when you try to seat the GCs? If that still doesn't work, you could always try loading a few without GCs and see about your accuracy/leading, might save you a few bucks and just might work. If it doesn't, THEN I would get the shank removed. One thing you haven't mentioned is what weapon, barrel length, and rate of twist this will be used in. Knowing that may change some of the factors here. I have the same mold, and have no trouble seating either Hornady GCs or my home made ones made on the Pat Marlin Checkmaker, so maybe the shank measurement is off. What is it by the way? I'm sure someone has some cast up and can check, and if not, I can fire mine up in the next few days to measure.

starmac
02-03-2014, 05:18 AM
I have tried to tap them on, tried to put them on through a lee sizer, so far the only success I have had is using a sizer die and another plunger in the press, I believe it was 338ultramags method. Even with that it will not work consistantly. most of these will be fired out of a marlin cowboy, I think 24 in barrel, but some would be run through my sil's vaquero. All would just be for plinking, I don't ever see any hunting with this at all. I have not measured the shank, will try that tomorrow.

gon2shoot
02-03-2014, 06:06 AM
I have never found the need for a gas check on my 45's. I have found that gas checks are not all created equal, you might try a different brand of check, but I would try it unchecked first.

ArchAngelCD
02-03-2014, 06:25 AM
I have never found the need for a gas check on my 45's.
Neither have I, my 45 Colt ammo runs between 850 fps and 900 fps so gas checks are not needed.
Even @1000 fps and up to 1,200 fps you shouldn't need gas checks if the bullet fits your revolver correctly.

btroj
02-03-2014, 08:17 AM
I have that mould and have the same problem. Check shank is too big.

I don't shoot that bullet any more so it isn't an issue but it sure was a pain when I was using it.

pworley1
02-03-2014, 09:47 AM
If you like that bullet, I would just use it without the check.

C. Latch
02-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Why plink with that particular bullet? I stopped using it because I couldn't get it to stay stable past 50 yards when shot at low velocities (faster than you describe).

Wolfer
02-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Why plink with that particular bullet? I stopped using it because I couldn't get it to stay stable past 50 yards when shot at low velocities (faster than you describe).

My experience exactly. Woody

Pb2au
02-03-2014, 11:23 AM
I ran into the same issue. I also believe the GC shank is just a hair too big. I was able to seat it, but not without very deliberate motions to do so.
I got the mold more for experimentation purposes. We do not have a lot of huge animals in Ohio to defend ourselves from. Once you get into Cincinnati, that story could change however.
As for shooting it without a gascheck, My thoughts are that it definitely would be worth a go. If you have access to a lathe or mill, it would be a simple job to buzz off the shank from the mold.
I found in my Rossi M92 that when crimping on the lower crimp groove, it would have intermittent feeding issues, which did not surprise me.

Bullshop
02-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Remember the Keith load for the 44 mag, 250 Keith/ 22gn 2400. Elmer hated gas checks for revolvers.
Your 45 Colt loads are nowhere near the intensity of Elmer's 44 mag loads and he used a fairly soft 16/1 lead/tin alloy.
I have the mold you are referring to as well as several others of similar weight. Of all the one I like best for mid range loads is a Saeco 300gn SWC. It is a gas check design but matters not weather a check is used with it or not.
For a cheaper mold of a lesser weight that will shoot well at lower velocities either the Lee 250 SWC or the 250 RF will do well.
Over the last couple years and going full circle with the 45 Colt I have settled on the original 45 Colt boolit in the Lyman 454191 ( I think thats the number). Its the 250gn near RN but with smallish meplate. I shoot 5.8 to 6 gn of Trail Boss with this boolit. This load is superbly accurate and is compatible with all revolvers in good safe working order. Even for longish range shooting it remains stable at least from my Ruger. Longish range for my Ruger has been to about 300 yards. Find the amount of front sight needed for the range and a 4'x4' pallet is not much of a challenge at all.

rexherring
02-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Same mold here but I bought some aluminum checks and they worked perfect. I basically bought the gas checks for rifle velocities. I prefer plain base for my handguns. I have shot a few without the gas check and they do o.k. in my Ruger but not as well as the RCBS 255 SWC.

starmac
02-03-2014, 06:04 PM
As far as why would I plink with that particular boolit. It is currently the only 45 mold I own, and the only use I have for the rifle. lol
I should probably pick up a smaller mold, if for no other reason to be a little easier on the lead pile.

Thanks for the info. I am going to load some without the check and see what they do, and maybe pickup another mold or two to play with.
I really don't have a use for it, but since I've got it I want to play with it. lol

Bullshop Junior
02-03-2014, 06:32 PM
I have that mould and have the same problem. Check shank is too big.

I don't shoot that bullet any more so it isn't an issue but it sure was a pain when I was using it.

You wanna sell the mold?

starmac
02-03-2014, 06:38 PM
You wanna sell the mold?

No, not yet anyway. lol You know I never sell anything. lol The next time my SIL comes up we want to try them in his vaquero for bear protection rounds. lol
I can send you some boolits though if you want to try them in that 454. When you run these through a 454 sizer these barely touch. Have you slugged your bore?

Bullshop Junior
02-03-2014, 06:40 PM
I was actually asking btroj if he wanted to sell his lol.

I havnt slugged mine but ive been shooting .454 boolits in it with out problems. I wanna try PC some light 45 auto HP boolits and running then high velocity someday lol.

Bullshop Junior
02-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Remember the Keith load for the 44 mag, 250 Keith/ 22gn 2400. Elmer hated gas checks for revolvers.
Your 45 Colt loads are nowhere near the intensity of Elmer's 44 mag loads and he used a fairly soft 16/1 lead/tin alloy.
I have the mold you are referring to as well as several others of similar weight. Of all the one I like best for mid range loads is a Saeco 300gn SWC. It is a gas check design but matters not weather a check is used with it or not.
For a cheaper mold of a lesser weight that will shoot well at lower velocities either the Lee 250 SWC or the 250 RF will do well.
Over the last couple years and going full circle with the 45 Colt I have settled on the original 45 Colt boolit in the Lyman 454191 ( I think thats the number). Its the 250gn near RN but with smallish meplate. I shoot 5.8 to 6 gn of Trail Boss with this boolit. This load is superbly accurate and is compatible with all revolvers in good safe working order. Even for longish range shooting it remains stable at least from my Ruger. Longish range for my Ruger has been to about 300 yards. Find the amount of front sight needed for the range and a 4'x4' pallet is not much of a challenge at all.

The boolit he is referring to (Lyman 454191) is the one and same that I shot myself with. Mine are loaded over 17gn of H110 and I dont get any leading from my carbine model 92 Puma.

btroj
02-03-2014, 07:03 PM
You wanna sell the mold?

Let me see if I can even find it!

I have gone to using the cayoots kinda heavy flat nose for about all my 45 Colt shooting.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zpsf1334105.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zpsf1334105.jpg.html)

No gas check, shoots like a dream, and hits hard with that flat nose. What more is there to love especially at 6 per drop!

Bullshop Junior
02-03-2014, 07:46 PM
It does look fine. But im on a tight budget and need to feed my Puma

osteodoc08
02-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Bullshop Jr. PM sent to ya so quit poor mouthin' LOL

fcvan
02-04-2014, 01:16 AM
I got that mold in a horse trade with a buddy. The first loads I tried were in a 20" carbine and I didn't have any checks. Since I wasn't shooting too hot I ran them without checks just fine. When I started working up a hotter load I used corn meal as a filler and worked up. I ended up with a very accurate barn burner load and a sore shoulder thanks to the crescent steel but plate of the rifle. Those same loads in my 45 Vaquero were impressive :)

I make plain based checks for 45 as I only have 1 45 mold that takes a check. I will likely have the check shank of the mold removed so I can just run plain based checks for those loads that might benefit. Most of my 'warmer' 45 Colt loads don't require a check as the fit and lube is fine. I did notice that the same loads with a PB check were a bit tighter. The 452-255 RF and 452-300 RF are great performers in both the Classic Carbine and the Vaquero, but the 300 RF is some serious pig medicine. I hope to thump some spina porcus this year for sure.

starmac
02-04-2014, 02:52 AM
Spina porcus????? porcupine??

Changeling
02-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Do you have the total specifications for that Bullit/Mold that you can post to go along with a picture ?

btroj
02-05-2014, 12:27 AM
Nope. Ask 45 2.1, I'm pretty sure he designed it.

I would love to see a group buy if it, I would like a spare mould should my Lee GB mould die.

That is far and away the best 45 Colt mould I own for both my BH and my Marlin 1894 CB.