PDA

View Full Version : questions about remington #5 in 7mm

rmatchell
02-02-2014, 11:40 PM
I picked up a remington #5 in 7mm this week and have been searching for some information on it. I cant find the article now, but I have been trying to get an idea on safe loads for this old rifle. I have also seen somewhere that I shouldn't use my 7mm brass because of the long chambers in these rifles and that I should reform from a different case to better match the chamber. So I guess im just looking for information on how to get this old rifle back on the bench again.

L Ross
02-02-2014, 11:51 PM
I can tell you what I did for what it is worth. I annealed some 7x57 cases I had and ran a 30 cal. expander thru the neck. The I sized about half the neck with a 7x57 F.L. sizing die backed out. I seated the fattest 7 m/m cast bullets I had, (.287"), about .200" into the neck over 14.0 grains of IMR-4227 and shot them. They will hold right around 3" at 80 yards from a rest. That darned sights are starting to look like a squashed triangle in a blurry ditch so I was pretty pleased. After firing the necks retained that funny looking two step shape.

Duke

rmatchell
02-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Thanks, thats a good start. Ill look into that load to get an idea what kind of pressure i'm looking at.

L Ross
02-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Good for you not taking data from the internet at face value! I heartily approve. I got into using 4227 from schuetzen shooting where we breech seat, often in older rifles of modest strength. So I freely admit to extrapolating with some of my loads. I use 14 gr. of IMR-4227 in 30-30's with plain base bullets, 8x57 with plain base and checked, 32 Win. Spl. 32-40, and the 7x57. I've never experienced a problem and have found it to be mild and accurate in all of the above calibers. I wish you well with your #5, I was lucky to have bought mine from a fellow cast shooter and he had spent the hours of tedium removing the 100+ years of gunk from the bore, a nice bore I might add.

Duke

rmatchell
02-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Thanks, im looking forward to taking it out soon just trying to feel out what tbis gun will take. From what I have read the #5 will handle modern loads but I dont know what this gun has been through in the last hundred years but your load sounds safe enough. Now I need to find a heavy mold.

Bob Busetti
02-03-2014, 04:39 PM
I had a 1910 7 m/m & loaded for it. I took 30/06 cases & shortened them to a little longer than the 7 m/m case . Then run them in a 7 m/m sizing a little at a time till the rolling block will just close. Check case length again. I used gi brass so the 06 head stamp wouldn't be on the case. Fire form the cases, but they should be good as they are.
Bob

pworley1
02-03-2014, 05:21 PM
I have both the antique1897 #5 7mm and the 1902 7mm. I made brass for both from 30 06 with no trouble. I can see no reason for trying to shoot anything more than light moderate loads in 100+ year old rifles so I didn't worry about the loads. They both shoot very well.

MtGun44
02-07-2014, 08:19 PM
I have shot normal Fed and Rem factory 175 Rn in mine, works great. Unless the gun is worn out
they are just fine with normal factory load.

My absolutely most accurate load is 35 gr of 4064 under a 175gr RN Hornady Jbullet. This will shoot into
1" at 100 yds in mine. Mild and accurate, will drop anything on this continent with a decent hit.
Hodgdon says 2161 fps, but from a 30" bbl, expect more like the original 2300 fps.

Bill

roots911
02-07-2014, 09:04 PM
I made the cases for mine from military 30-06 brass that was formed in a 7mm trim die. Do the first pass with the die set higher in the press and try it for fit in the rifle. Lower the die a little bit at a time until the block will close completely. You will know that it is correct when the hammer will drop completely with a slight resistance when the trigger is released. Anneal the cases and finish by expanding them with a 30 cal expander and load a large dia 7mm cast slug. The fired cases should then be only neck sized. You will probably need a neck sizer close to a 30 cal. I was playing with some old dies that I had and found that a 30-30 sizing die inserted upside down in my "H" press sized the neck just right for my rifle and cast boolit combination. No expander needed and a couple of thousands interference fit. Guess I will have a die cut to the correct dimensions and make a normal set up! Achamber cast will yield a lot of info to custom match the ammo to your rifle. Still working on the final load for mine but the rifle will already shoot better than these 70 year old eyes of mine can see!! Good luck and have fun.

skeettx
02-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Here is one way, Use Green Box Remington 7x57 ammo.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RT29031&src=tpCtgAm

Put a small bit of scotch tape on a bit of the ammo shoulder.
This should make it a snug fit, hold the case back and still allow
the breech block to close.
Upon firing, the case will fill out around the tape.
Remove tape
Neck size
Load and on the next firing the tape indent will fill out
Mike

Janoosh
02-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Great idea skeettx, I'll have to try that. Mtgun44, I have also fired factory ammo in mine, with no problems. A bit of advice that I read somewhere, on an empty chamber, with the block closed and hammer down, and the trigger held back, there should be no play in the block. The hammer should hold the block secure against the chamber. Any play will result in elongated brass.