PDA

View Full Version : Swage Press Mounting - Angle and Height

Guardian
02-02-2014, 11:28 PM
I just got a RCE Walnut Hill press and I'm undecided on how to mount it. I've got a rock solid table to mount it on (2-in thick butcher block type surface 44-in wide x 60-in long on a steel frame that is well braced). The table is an industrial metal working table with cast iron inserts to hold various anvils (pic to follow tomorrow).

Anyway, holding the press up vertical to where the handle is at a comfortable height in the down position while I'm standing results in the bottom of the base plate on the press being 53-in high. This puts the die just below eye level for me, which seems a bit high for efficient use.

Tilting the press rearward 45 degrees results in the press height dropping about 10 in and seems to be a more efficient height. It would also allow the component currently in work to fall out the back into a container or onto a slide. This seems like a better setup, but I don't know enough about swaging to understand the negatives of such an arrangement.

Horizontal mounting lowers the necessary height further, but then I run into problems with handle clearance in the up position. It also seems that feeding the die would be more cumbersome.

How is your swaging press mounted and why? See any negatives to the angle mounting?

Zymurgy50
02-02-2014, 11:37 PM
I have the "other" Corbin press mounted on a stand, it is on a (+/-) 15* angle. I will get some measurements tomorrow. The handle on my press has a very long stroke, and it is much easier for me to stand while operating this press instead of sitting on a bar stool like I do the rest of my reloading. I just wish there was a better way of catching the lead wire extruded in the core swage step.

Utah Shooter
02-03-2014, 12:39 AM
You will be absolutely fine putting it an an angle.

Smokin7mm
02-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Do what is comfortable. I have my walnut hill mounted straight and on a bench with a riser stand to get it where the die is probably 8 inches below eye level. I made a ramp on the back side for the cores jackets bullets etc to fall down into a bucket. After raising the handle I just flick it off onto the ramp while inserting the next one.

Zymurgy50, I have made a couple of items to catch the lead wire extrusions that work for me. One is a piece of pvc (thin wall) that I slit verticly so it will open up a bit. it just slips over the ram with a little tension. I drilled a hole to line up with the hole in the die and then glued a piece of clear plastic tubing around the hole. It extends out to drop the wires into a bucket. If the hole int the die isnt out to the side where a bucket can be placed or is in the way of the press frame you can take a spray paint can lid. It has a inner ring that holds the cap on and that will slip over the ram. Just notch it out on the inner ring to clear the exit hole for the wires and they will fall into the cap. If the extruded wires are really long they will curl when hitting the outside ring and you will have to empty more often. Modify and trim as necessary to gain access for operation.

Bret

clodhopper
02-03-2014, 11:38 AM
I have both a walnut hill and corbin seriesII mounted at 45, still pretty new to swaging but the idea garnered from this web site was to save hand motions, letting the worked parts fall out.
The walnut hill is 41" from the floor measured from toggle pivot, the the seriesII is 40". They are comfortable to run while standing, and also possible to work sitting. Adjustable hight office chair extended to max. Feeding the bullets in while sitting is a bit of a reach over to the top of the die.
With me being 6'3" tall this may not work for you.
Alos measured the hight of the toggle pivot on my body wich may translate for guys diffrent size, and the toggle pivot is right about where the leg bone meets the hip bone.
Both these press mounts were made from scraps of steel already in posession.
The one that seems to work best is 5" square tubing perpendicular with the bench edge, with 3" angle welded to the top, with the corner up, parallel to the bench edge.
The square tubing is 1' long and makes a convient place to set a tray to catch swagings.
The only disadvantage so far is that jackets mouths can get dinged up when ejected from core seat process.
With some carefull point forming the results do not show up visually in finished bullets.

The other press mount is two peices of 4" channel iron. The bottom piece lays channel up, top piece is cut to 45 degrees on the end away from the bench edge, and welded to the bottom piece.
It still needs a modification to keep a parts catching tray in position.

Zymurgy50
02-03-2014, 08:54 PM
My Corbin mega mite press (uses the same dies as the hydro press) is on a stand that is 44 1/2" to center of angle cut on the riser, and the riser is cut on a 10* angle. Heading up to the man cave in a bit, I will get a pic or two to post.
My core swage dies have 3 bleed holes at 120* For now I have a piece of aluminum flashing taped to the press to "guide" the extruded lead to a trash can on the floor. Most of it gets there, but momma aint happy when the vacuum sweeper finds the ones I miss.