PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M die

Bwell
02-02-2014, 09:30 PM
What should the brass look like when using this? Preferably in .223.

Sgtonory
02-02-2014, 09:38 PM
As in what dose it do the the neck? If that is what you are asking it will just expand the neck to about .002 below boolit diameter and give a slight bell at the top over boolit diameter.

Bwell
02-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Here are the two I have done so far, one on the left has more of a flare/seat. The one on the right just has a flare.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m135/gtup/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-01/A89D93DE-5332-4481-8B6B-80ADADF001FC_zpsdnlvwzlu.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/gtup/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-01/A89D93DE-5332-4481-8B6B-80ADADF001FC_zpsdnlvwzlu.jpg.html)

dragon813gt
02-02-2014, 09:45 PM
I don't set it down that far to flare the case mouth. I find there is no need for the second step when the case is properly expanded.

oneokie
02-02-2014, 09:46 PM
The one on the left should hold the boolit straighter when raising the ram to seat and crimp.

Doc Highwall
02-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Both of the cases have too much flair. You only need enough for the base of the bullet to start into the case.

brassrat
02-02-2014, 10:13 PM
When you get it right you will know. Wish I got some M dies sooner.

Bwell
02-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Will the flares straighten out without crimping? Or when using this die you have to crimp?

dragon813gt
02-02-2014, 10:25 PM
You have to crimp when you flare the case mouth.

brassrat
02-02-2014, 10:32 PM
I am kinda new to reloading, but like was said these don't look good, at all. Whatever expansion is at the tip of the mouth doesn't hold the bullet, the rest of the neck does, I don't use any crimp, with bottle necked rifle loading and jacketed bullets. With lead boolets and/or revolvers, crimping is a different matter.

02-02-2014, 10:44 PM
If done properly, the case mouth should be no more than .001" over bullet/boolit diameter and barely discernable. Did you follow the instructions?

oneokie
02-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Will the flares straighten out without crimping? Or when using this die you have to crimp?

The seating process will remove the flare. The crimping action is totally dependent on how the seat/crimp die is adjusted.

You do not have to crimp for bolt guns, for tubular fed, revolvers, and semi autos, I would crimp. And, whether or not a crimp is necessary depends on how much neck tension is on the boolit.

Your die instructions should have information on the proper adjustment of the seat/crimp die to either crimp or not crimp.

UNIQUEDOT
02-03-2014, 03:32 AM
If you read the instructions you will see that the (M) die is actually a three step die. It's called a two step die because if adjusted properly for jacketed bullets you only use the two steps on the expander. First step is slightly under bullet diameter and second step is slightly over. The third step is the flare which is only used for boolits, but you have it adjusted too deep.

GabbyM
02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
I don’t use the flare at all or just enough to qualify the mouth. Incase there is a dent or poorly chamfered case mouth. Probably not be able to see it in a photo. But then you have to do what works. A flare as you pictured would not run up into any of my seating dies. You may want to try one in a seat die before you flare a hundred of them. Die may roll it back in or it may just bump to a halt.

With the little 22’s it Seams if I push the bullet into the case then run up in the seat die. They often just try to push in crocked without aligning up. That’s just a mess. Thus what I do is the same technique I use with J bullets. Set the case in shell holder. Set a bullet atop leaving it loose and free to float around then hold it there while I run the ram up. Then allow the seat die to catch the bullet. At some point in there you’ve got your fingers out of the way before you get pinched. Bullet gets lined up in the die throat then the case is pushed over it. Of course that’s when everything is going my way. So what I’m saying is getting the bullet started straight is more helpful than a big flare. After your case is opened enough with the second step in the M die or it's flare step. That a bullet can start in the case without encountering heavy resistance that may bend or deform the bullet. You have started the bullet and good to go. Having case mouth hanging out in the air does nothing. If you deburr all your neck mouths after you size them. Not a big chamfer just a duburr to clean away any dings. You won’t need a flare. IMHO the flare step is to work around deburring case necks. Which is why I put a slight flare on most hand gun rounds. I do not fiddle with deburring my pistol cases. On rilfle bottle neck cases that have not been crimped. Usually don’t need any case prep work like neck deburr. If you are crimping auto gun rounds or lever gun rounds. Then you have to bump that lip back and forth. Just like with the pistol cases.

Also not everyone's bullets are the same diameter and not all M dies are exactly same size. Second step, when things are ideal, will open the neck up enough to allow you to push a bullet in by hand. Push fit. As I stated I don't like to push mine in by hand as the die lines them up much better. Plus it's faster anyway.

Hope that made some bit of sense. I’m on my first cup of coffee here.

dragon813gt
02-03-2014, 10:33 AM
A flare as you pictured would not run up into any of my seating dies.
A flare like that might not even fit into a sizing die.

Iowa Fox
02-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Did you use a genuine Lyman M die to expand and flare those case necks?

Slow Elk 45/70
02-09-2014, 05:17 AM
I don't own any seating dies that would accept that much flare !!! Listen to the advise from Gabby & others..IMHO...good luck and enjoy..Jim

Bwell
02-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the advise everyone, I have it set properly now. Thanks again.

EDG
02-11-2014, 08:25 PM
If you want to close the M die flare a little after the bullet is seated you can use a Lee Factory crimp die and close the flare exactly how you want it.

BCB
02-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Both of the cases have too much flair. You only need enough for the base of the bullet to start into the case.

I agree there...

There might be so much flare that it will hit on the sides of the seating die...

Good-luck...BCB

Vulcan Bob
02-14-2014, 09:09 PM
First thing to look at is the expander plug, is it loose? The expander plugs come loose in these guys and rotate down and you start getting flares that look like that. Before you start your adjustment again pull the plug asy out of the die body and put a bit of blue Loc-Tite on the threads of the plug and retighten. This will save you grief down the road!

trapper9260
02-16-2014, 08:45 AM
If you want to close the M die flare a little after the bullet is seated you can use a Lee Factory crimp die and close the flare exactly how you want it.

I found that out on some of my that i shoot in my wheel gun and also want to shoot them in my lever rifle otherwise they will not chamber.I also like to state is that when you do want to load this way for any gun make up a dumb round to make sure it will chamber in the gun without any problems.That way you can take care of the problem before you load any rounds.

kaskillo
02-18-2014, 12:13 AM
It looks like way too much "flare". Unnecessary stress to the case "mouth".