PDA

View Full Version : bens red lube

6.5 swede
02-02-2014, 07:58 PM
I brewed up some bens red today but I ended up with white lumps in it, did I not get it hot enough? or didn't i mix it right?

Ben
02-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Hard to answer all those questions with no more details than you've offered.

Sometimes it takes a wisk stirring the mixture to get all the components to blend.

Ben

6.5 swede
02-02-2014, 08:19 PM
seems like they all blended together, it just has small white lumps in it.

btroj
02-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Melt it back down and keep it melted a bit longer. Just don't get it too hot.

Ben
02-02-2014, 09:11 PM
6.5 swede

Brad it right again, Ditto on the " Just don't get it too hot ".

You may have stopped the melting process too early ?

btroj
02-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Time is more important than temp. Better just melted for 30 minutes than smoking for 5....

6.5 swede
02-02-2014, 09:51 PM
I will melt it again and cook it longer, the first time I cooked it about 20 min, I was more concerned about burning it. thanks for the info, This is a great site, with so much info at your finger tips!

Lever-man
02-02-2014, 10:12 PM
I cooked off my first batch about 2 wks ago......... noticed the white lumps also. I had bought a cheap crock pot the cook it in and after 6 hours it didn't seem to be melting together or proceeding any farther...........had small white lumps, so I took the crock pot out and put it inside another pot of boiling water. Kinda like a double boiler, cooked it for another hour before the small white lumps went away. This was my first time.......... hope it gets better, took almost all day to cook a very small batch. Can't wait to try it out.

Bigslug
02-03-2014, 10:24 AM
I've made, tested, and modified exactly ONE batch of this stuff so far, so I really can't claim to be an expert, but compared to the difficulties others seem to have, I had it very easy.

Best I can tell, the two things that made the difference for me were a lot of whisking and a candy thermometer. The happy temperature seemed to be somewhere between 200 and 220F, and it didn't take very long at all - an hour, maybe a bit longer on the hot plate.

I don't THINK it was a major factor in my success, but I used a Wal Mart pot that came with a glass lid to help keep heat in when I wasn't stirring. Nothing special about it otherwise, aside from being chosen because it covers the heating element of my Waring hot plate just about perfectly.