PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Can anyone find and ship me a Harbor Freight 2" mini cut off saw???

Reverend Al
02-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Greetings all and I'm hoping for a little bit of help here ...
As many of you know the Harbor Freight 2" mini chop saw is used with a jig to cut down .223 / 5.56 brass for use in making .300 AAC Blackout cases. Back in November I bought the jig (and a thing of beauty it is!), but I didn't order the saw at the time as we were just leaving for an extended Christmas and New Years holiday trip to visit with family back East. Well, now that I need the saw to go with the jig it appears that Harbor Freight has discontinued this model of saw! Apparently some of the individual stores have a little bit of stock left on their shelves, but if you call or email the mail order sales offices down in California they say there are no saws left to mail order. OK ... here comes the "rub" ...
I called several Washington State Harbor Freight stores today trying to locate one of these saws (part # 42307) and actually found one too ... but they can't ship it to me since I live up in Canada! Individual stores will only sell their products "on site" at the store and won't ship Internationally! When I called California to see if the store could send them back that saw and have them re-ship it to me up here in Canada as an International order they of course refused and said they can't do that! Grrrr ....!!!
So ... if it is at all possible I'm hoping that one of the forum members on here might be willing to find me an existing old stock #42307 saw at their local Harbor Freight store, pick it up for me, and then ship it to me up here in Canada. I am more than willing to pay the cost of the saw plus whatever the USPS shipping costs might be to finally get one of these saws to go along with my already on hand jig, but I just can't justify spending $300.00 to $400.00 taking a ferry from Victoria down to Seattle, driving to a HF store that has one of these saws left in stock, purchasing it in person, and the then driving back to the ferry and heading back home again! (It would be cheaper to buy one through Amazon or eBay for 3 or 4 times the Harbor Freight price since those "thieves" are now both listing the same saw at hugely inflated prices!)
Is there anyone from this site that can help me out with this? I suspect that PayPal would be the easiest method for me to pay you for the cost of the saw and the related shipping costs to get it up here to me and that would work just fine for me if it does for you.
A little help? Anyone? Please?
[smilie=b:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Al, if you know the part number for the saw, I'll check with my local harbor freights for you. I don't have a 300 blackout, so I never looked into the saw and don't know what it looks like.

My google-foo is strong. I took a look at the cut off saw people were using to cut the 300 blackout, how it was laid out and I think I may have found you a reasonable alternative. Should still work with your jig and isn't much more expensive. Check this out:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-cut-off-saw-61204.html

Walter Laich
02-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Turns out I have that very model here at the house. I read the same article you did and wanted to see if I could make 357s into 38s but lost interest
Saw has never been used, just sits quietly in the garage softly crying.
It's yours if you still are looking for one
Any special requirements in sending it to the True North Strong and Free?
No idea what shipping would be buy will check once I hear back from you--pm or email me your address so I can find out charges
walt

Reverend Al
02-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Turns out I have that very model here at the house. I read the same article you did and wanted to see if I could make 357s into 38s but lost interest
Saw has never been used, just sits quietly in the garage softly crying.
It's yours if you still are looking for one
Any special requirements in sending it to the True North Strong and Free?
No idea what shipping would be buy will check once I hear back from you--pm or email me your address so I can find out charges
walt

Many thanks Walter! PM already sent to you a few moments ago!
[smilie=s:

Reverend Al
02-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Al, if you know the part number for the saw, I'll check with my local harbor freights for you. I don't have a 300 blackout, so I never looked into the saw and don't know what it looks like.

My google-foo is strong. I took a look at the cut off saw people were using to cut the 300 blackout, how it was laid out and I think I may have found you a reasonable alternative. Should still work with your jig and isn't much more expensive. Check this out:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-cut-off-saw-61204.html

Thanks for the suggestion Dave, but it looks like I have one of the actual #42307 saws lined up through Walter in Texas!
:drinks:

TNsailorman
02-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Walter, I sent you a private message, james

LeftyDon
02-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Would this be the same saw:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mini-Bench-Cut-off-Miter-Saw-2-Steel-Blade-800-RPM-/130524083163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e63d773db

Walter Laich
02-03-2014, 06:49 PM
sold my saw to Rev. Al.
The one on ebay is 'interesting'
I bought mine for $25 if I remember correctly

Reverend Al
02-04-2014, 05:30 AM
... and just for the record ... Walter is truly a gentleman! Not only did he offer to GIVE me his NIB Harbor Freight saw, but he shipped it off in the mail before I'd even paid him for the saw and the shipping costs!
Thank you again so very much Walter, your assistance (and generosity) are greatly appreciated!
:drinks:

sirgknight
02-04-2014, 09:09 AM
I can't tell you how many members have made similar offers on this website. Just two months ago I was looking for components for my new .380. I'd never reloaded for this caliber. The first two responders who cast bullets for their .380, offered to give me bullets to try. One of them was from Texas and the other was from Washington. It seemed that it would have been an insult to send money for their kindness, so I sent them a SFRB of lead ingots to replace their bullets. Generosity abounds among our clan.

facetious
02-05-2014, 02:35 AM
I would like to see what the gig looks like that you use to hold the cases that are being cut.

Sasquatch-1
02-05-2014, 07:30 AM
I used one of these saws to cut down 40 S&W for jackets. I could never get a straight cut. Saw a video on Youtube of a guy using a Lee case spinner and a tubing cutter. I said "what the heck." bought the case spinner and had a pipe cutter. This system seems to work SOOOOOO much better then the 2" saw. A friend was looking to do the same as you. I had a few 223 range pick up and decided to see how well they cut. Worked just fine. was able to place the cutter very close to the shoulder.

MBTcustom
02-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Yeah! That's the way we roll!
Good for you Walter. You're a credit to the site, no mistake.

wlc
02-05-2014, 05:47 PM
I would like to see what the gig looks like that you use to hold the cases that are being cut.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=80842 Don't know if this is the exact one, but it is the only jig for that saw I have seen for sale.

I just buy my brass that is ready to load including annealing from Grumpa. Much better that spending the time and money to do it myself. Great Brass from Grumpa.

Reverend Al
02-05-2014, 07:34 PM
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=80842 Don't know if this is the exact one, but it is the only jig for that saw I have seen for sale.

I just buy my brass that is ready to load including annealing from Grumpa. Much better that spending the time and money to do it myself. Great Brass from Grumpa.

I'd love to be able to do that ... but since I'm up in Canada if "Grumpa" shipped me some brass cross-border for a military style cartridge (GASP! OH HORROR!) I'm sure that Homeland Security would be smashing down his door and putting him in cuffs shortly afterwards ...

Life was so much simpler before 9/11 ... on both sides of the border ...

:-(

LeftyDon
02-05-2014, 09:42 PM
I'd love to be able to do that ... but since I'm up in Canada if "Grumpa" shipped me some brass cross-border for a military style cartridge (GASP! OH HORROR!) I'm sure that Homeland Security would be smashing down his door and putting him in cuffs shortly afterwards ...

Life was so much simpler before 9/11 ... on both sides of the border ...

:-(

Ain't that the truth. But our dear leader is just trying to protect us from all those crazed assault weapon packing Canadians that storm Florida about this time of the year. LOL

wlc
02-06-2014, 12:23 AM
Sorry for "rubbing it in" It didn't "click" that you were from North of the border and doing such would be a big no-no..

Reverend Al
02-11-2014, 02:07 AM

I ordered one of these ...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?208348-TCM22-7-62x25-7-62x40WT-blackout-conversion-jigs

Reverend Al
02-11-2014, 02:09 AM
(By the way Walter ... no sign of the saw in the mail yet, but I'll let you know as soon as it does arrive!)

[smilie=s:

Walter Laich
02-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks--hope it gets there quickly
walt

Reverend Al
02-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Hey Walt! The saw arrived in today's mail and it felt just like Christmas had arrived all over again!

[smilie=w:

Many thanks again my friend for coming to my rescue and sending me this now discontinued saw!

(With any luck I'll be up to my ears in .300 AAC Blackout brass shortly ...)

OBIII
02-12-2014, 09:58 PM
I can't tell you how many members have made similar offers on this website. Just two months ago I was looking for components for my new .380. I'd never reloaded for this caliber. The first two responders who cast bullets for their .380, offered to give me bullets to try. One of them was from Texas and the other was from Washington. It seemed that it would have been an insult to send money for their kindness, so I sent them a SFRB of lead ingots to replace their bullets. Generosity abounds among our clan.

This, Sir, is another example of someone going above and beyond for services received. They would not have been insulted by the offer of money for their boolits, nor probably accepted it, but I am sure they will put the lead that you sent in return to good use. You are one of the reasons that this forum is as great as it it. Kudos. Ya'll keep up the good work.

OB

Sasquatch-1
02-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Hey Rev, If the blade on your harbor freight saw slips, try putting an extra washer on the arbor. This took care of the problem with mine.

kd185
02-13-2014, 08:58 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Mini-CUT-OFF-CHOP-SAW-New-from-Harbor-Freight-Tools-4-blades-included-/121273981843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3c7e1b93

Reverend Al
02-14-2014, 04:37 AM
Yeah, these saws are showing up on eBay now from $40.00 to over $200.00! Crazy!
:roll:

Walter Laich
02-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Hey Walt! The saw arrived in today's mail and it felt just like Christmas had arrived all over again!

[smilie=w:

Many thanks again my friend for coming to my rescue and sending me this now discontinued saw!

(With any luck I'll be up to my ears in .300 AAC Blackout brass shortly ...)

and the good thing about it you only have to it once to each case.
walt