PDA

View Full Version : PP mold diameter and bullet research easily-with pictures

Frank Savage
02-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Well, not so much without a machine shop, but surely with less machine shop than in the sticky. You need just small lathe with 3-jaw, set of collet holders will make you very hapy and 4-jaw will help you. Add a drill, some taps and youīre done.
Disclaimer and apology-donīt judge the longest nose bullet, I hogged eight of them from almost cold mold for lenght checking purposes. The good ones went down the barrel :-)

Hereīs part of my setup, for 8x60R Kropatschek:

Mold clampholder with sprueplate, mold body, some nosepunches, bullets and bullets set into brass. Itīs the easy Ideal adjustable basepour style, where the basic hole gives bullet dia, nosepunch cavity the nose shape and lenght and overall position of the punch in mold body gives the total bullet lenght. Materials used are el cheapo the most common easy machining steel-once you know what you want, use brass or some better steel. But no point having put the extra time and tooling setup into mold you may use only to prove wrong idea with 30 slugs cast.

The mold body is just a simple cylindrical hole into 25 mm or 1" cold roled bar (machinists and diemakers, donīt laugh here about the "simple cylindrical hole" :-D). Drilled and reamed, then honed with emery cloth to proper dia and surface. If you make a 1-1,5" cut into the end of 1/4" cold roled steel and use a bit wider piece of emery cloth, you can hone it up as much as 0,015 without marring the cylinder except little on one end. Well, it takes a bit of feel and practice, but can be done. Then you get rid of about 1/6-1/5" on the drill entrance side, since from honing it will be coned-so take it into account when cutting the basic material to lenght. Making a set of calibers around your desired dia to determine wherether are you in or still out of the realy cylindrical part helps a lot, albeit it takes a bit of time. But even the cold rolled easy machining stock is sufficient here, since youīll probably end up using a tad smaller caliber and narrow strip of your patching paper sticked into mold cavity to determine the dia as well as finding possible tight spots to have them honed out-while not having a chance to jam the caliber inside. The paper will let it out every time.
After cutting to the cylindrical part and facing, cut most of the face surface off to create a simple dish about 1/32" deep with rim on outer as well inner perimeter, about 1/16" wide. Then cut off the outer rim by about 0,003"-0,004" below the rim of the mold cavity. Why-later.
If you donīt have a reamer of proper size, you can go on with quite easy to make drill rod for calibers .40 and up. 11/32" or a bit bigger cold rolled stock even of 1018 steel will hold up to about 2,5" deep hole, but anything smaller will flutter, destroy the knife set into the rod and overall make a whole lotta mess. Tried it on thisone-and was not pleased at least. Will show the setup later, now donīt have the photos on hand. You must make the knife sharp, well angled and of course use little feed rate as well as small chip thickness. If you can make the drillrod from properly heat treted tool steel, youīre happy campers even at 270-300 cal., but I donīt have the possibility.
The end is then covered with cap about 1/8-1/6" thick, fitted by three 1/8" or so bolts:

Attach the roughed out cap with precisely drilled holes first, then set the mold body into chuck and cut from outside to desired dia. This is the most time demanding part, since you need to drill and tap (M3 or M4 or 1/8" or 1/6" threads) the mold body for all three bolts, make a paper template by pressing the paper with your dirty thumb against the bottom face to get the hole pattern impressed and drawed onto it (do you remember school and "frottage" in arts class?). A white self-adhesive sticker works well here. Place it on flat bar or steel sheet youīre going to use for cap, drill and countersink for bolt heads those three holes, rough out the cap and fit it. Then drill 1/5" or 1/4" hole for nosepunch pushrod and make sure itīs dead center, will be helpful to place a live center into it for turning the cap into mold body contour.

Now the nose punches, where collet holders and their inherent preciosity of repeated grip, as well as surface protecting properties will help you a lot:
Take a cold rolled bar at least 1/12" bigger than desired final dia to get rid of the tougher, roll-compressed "skin" these rods always have. Cut a small part, about 1/5" long about 0,002" bigger than desired final dia of the punch-you know this dia from using your calibers during honing the cavity. Then drill a pilot hole to desired depth, with about 1/25-1/16" adition:

Now set a profile knife into your toolpost and cut the nos shape. Will have to insert the images later, made them extra blurry and worthless. The object is, that the outer surface will rest steady while the knife will cut from inside, leaving proper outer dia and razor sharp edge-meaning almost seamles transition on the bullet. But making a proper hole, then cutting around it from the outside where thereīs almost no wall thickness will result in pressing the material into the cavity, marring the nos shape as well as outer dia and may result in positive locking edge which will lock the bullet in the mold. I hope you can understand here, if not, then just take into account that itīs much more easier to make and measure an outer surface first and cut the hole to intersect it at desired point-since you can see it all around, than opposite.
You wanted the hole a tad deeper than desired nose lenght, because to achieve the properly sharp end, youīll make the knife out through the initial dia surface, so it will end up a bit shorter. As well, youīll deepen it a hair by feeding the knife into the end of the pilot hole-but easy, due to very low speed close to axis it will have audible tendency to flutter, so not harm the inner surface.
Then use the at first made proper dia as a reference point and make the dia in whole lenght you need. You can see the profile knife on the right. With one knife, youīre not stuck to just one profile, by different angling of its axis as well as X-Y toolpost movement you can do quite a magic. All three bullet shapes in the photos here were made with one knife, albeit Iīm not even a machinist, not a lathe magician. But of course, the closer the shape, the easier.

You may fing helpful to touch the inner surface extremely lightly whe the outer is done:

Then touch it with wet kind of 400, 600 and 800-1000 grit cloth or paste inside for polish. Use piece of wood or so. Determine the overall lenght of the punch-to make max. lenght of your wanted bullet, or a tad more-and make a shallow cut in the middle to leave bearing surfaces only between end of the nose cavity and short ring on the bottom end. It serevs to reduce friction, as well as to make room for occasional mess which may get into the mold, preventing the nosepunch from stucking in on every impossible occasion. also, when you get somehow uneven heat distribution while preheating the mold, the cold roled stock warps a bit and this dia reduction on part of the nosepunch shank reduces greatly possibility of stucking due to this.

Cut off the punch for lenght, set it into collet by base out (attention not to damage the lip of the cavity!), face it, bevel the edge, drill and tap a hole for proper pushrod-the thin bar visible on the second photo or here and thread the pushrod in such a lenght that with nut all way onto, the lip of the nosepunch is still in the cavity, as seen on very shallow SWC nosepunch here:

Then take again your trusty emery cloth set, some flat bar and use it to bring the outer surface those 0,001-0,002" down to proper dia, check the fit often. You can take off a bit more material on the bottom ring and from lower portion of the upper bearing part along the cavity, but you can leave 0,0003-0,0006" more than exact on the lip-with shallow aproach angle of the cavity towards the nosepunch surface it will spring this little even in 1018 kind of steel and will provide a good contact even when the body will be a bit hotter than the punch.

You can see a cylinder below the mold body-serves as a weight to pull down the nosepunch, as well as a handle and part to tap onto when the bullet does not come out by its own weight. Simple piece of round bar drilled and tapped all the way through, nothing special.

Easiest way how to set a lenght for initial experiments is to wind a clean, unlaquered cooper wire onto the pushrod, as seen here, along with nosepunch, bullet fit and ejection:

NEVER use a steel wire, it may got the surface loose upon heating, resulting in grit in cavity and ugly stuck nosepunch, maybe even destroyed mold. Wind it tight, or youīll find great difference in bullet weight even with the best casting technique due to springing of the spacer. Different mold temp will also move you more than youīre used to, so use it in this manner only for lenght testing purposes and make proper one-piece, preferably brass spacer for real work.

The clamp holder is somehow self-explaining, just one photo from making the clamp head:

Here the independent 4-jaw will be helpful. Use at least 7/16 or 1/2" flat bar, but be damn sure that 3/8" is too thin. Two hints-make the dia just for your bar stock and, without removing it from the chuck, face the outer flat surface on which the sprueplate will be placed. Donīt rely on the basic bar and "itīs laying dead flat on the dead perpendicular face of the chuck". Did that, couldnīt make the bases square and found out that when drilling the basic hole, one edge moved a little bit upon cutting the hole, which then was not square to the surface. A mess to find this out on finished clamphead.

Make the sprueplate a bit freefloating-let it some up and down play. Youīll adjust the mold into the clamp in such a manner that only the inner lip around the cavity will touch it, or better place a piece of your thinnest patching paper onto it and the set the mold block as to have full contact, but still not lifting the sprueplate up. This way youīll get a ventilation. It is very easy with the sprueplate set rigid achieve such a hermetical fit, that the air can not leave the mold and for God or Hells sake you canīt pour a bullet. Also youīll se here why to make the outer lip a tad shorter-if you donīt, you canīt see the moment of proper contact and you may find out that itīs obstructing the way of the sprueplate by some 0,001īs, making bases unsquare and with lip of lead on one side. Tedious to clear them at least.
May sound weird, but the most accurate setting is done in front of light, seeking "see it-donīt see it" or after a little practice just by feeling of just lifting-now not lifting the floating sprueplate. Get used to to touch the sprueplate bar a bit by laddle to make sure itīs not lifted. May sound inconvenient, but youīll get used to it very quickly.

This way you can for little effort and costs find out the proper dia for your bore and paper combo, as well as something for different oddbals you may encounter. Also, you can try how much accurate is the Greenhill formula for your rifle or whatever "just on the edge" or beyond it you want try.

This mold casts bullets rounder than 0,01 mm or better than 0,0002" for me, while I managed to keep the tolerance between the nosepunches and mold body at about 0,0001-0,0002". Way easier when you have a metric micrometer in milimeters, since you have 2,5 times itīs basic division (a 0,01 mm) in 0,001" and itīs way cheaper than 0,0001" divided micrometer. But for practical purpose 0,0004-0,0005 (6)" is better clearance, since the fit and seal is still perfect and the temp differences does not so much for nosepunch sliding ease.

Frank Savage
02-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Iīve found the hard way (stuck nosepunch, ruined body) that abovementioned tolerances are too close. You can make them such close on about 1/16" width of the thin-walled lip of the nosepunch cavity, but for the rest of the punch a 0,0012-0,0015 is way much more reasonable. Also, making the nosepunch out of brass stock helps-way better sliding properties in the steel cavity. But you must take more care about not to ding the brass lip-significantly less dursble than the steel, if made from the most common 1/2 hard bar stock.
With the brass punch, if you find that it slides with lesser ease during longer session with faster pace, you simply blow one breath into the punch cavity (when in position as to drop the bullet) and it is just about right to continue.

dave roelle
02-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Hi Frank:

This is the one i made------------sorry no bullets all are loaded.

When i run another batch i'll get you a picture

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa397/drroelle/DSCN0121.jpg (http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/drroelle/media/DSCN0121.jpg.html)

the cavity is aluminum bronze-----punch to cavity clearence "when hot" is 0.002 total

Dave

longbow
02-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Nice write up!

I have been making similar for about 45 years. My first was for a 20 ga. slug when I was about 15 years old. It was made with just a drill press. Crude but it worked. that one was a hollow base wad cutter.

Since I have made several for .30 cal., .303, .44, 20 ga. and 12 ga. Some are base pour, some are nose pour with a pop out nose form. I make hollow base, hollow point and solid.

My material of choice is generally 1 1/2" diameter steel bar but I have used bronze as well.

I like your mould clamp holder. I went a different route (being lazy) and just bored out some 1 1/2" round bar to 3/4" then made the mould from 3/4" round and set it into the 1 1/2" diameter "mould holder". Crude but effective and then I have a mould holder with handle and sprue plate attached with interchangeable 3/4" moulds I insert.

Looks like once you are set up with your mould clamp you have the same options but nicer rig than mine. Maybe I should clean up my act and follow your lead. Your set up certainly has more style and finesse than mine.

Very nice work, great write up and slick ideas.

Dave's is very nice too. You guys are giving me an inferiority complex!

Longbow

Frank Savage
02-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Iīve seen a short writing from about 1920īs from Ideal about these molds being easy to mfg with just a drillpress-if it is rigid enought. But I must say that lathe shortens the time and makes a lot of things easier. In the age of 15 it sure makes some points about measuring, eyeballing and gets some feel into hands. And if it works for 45 years, making square based bullets-seems to me that nothing has to be changed. I choosed 1" bar, since I was a bit afraid of thermal expansion in the bigger ones with 45 and 32 cal cavities.
From the same reason I didnīt want anything being bored into the top part. Sure no biggie with 1 1/2" or so bar, but I knew Iīll have to make several and will make a lot of experiments, so I didnīt want to have to make sprueplate, handle and keep all alignements every each time I screw up something or when in need of sth just a tad different. Hence the clamp, which is somehow tiny and fragile-but again, as to create quite a minor force on the upper portion of the bar as not to "choke" the cavity upon heating. A bit of overthinking, but works sleek.

Alu bronze is nice material for this, but for experiments itīs a bit pricey. But that HP seems to be a final design and realy a killing one :-D

dave roelle
02-23-2014, 07:44 PM
It works pretty well Frank-----------the thick Texas brush where i hunt almost requires to have the animal DTR---------the truncated cone hollow point is intended to do that.

Everything in south Texas either sticks--bites--or has clawing thorns like a big cat---chasing wounded deer there is NO FUN.

Dave

longbow
02-24-2014, 01:28 AM
What caliber is that one of yours Dave?

is the HP pin removable or machined from the nose form stock in one piece?

My first push out mould for a rifle caliber was .44 for my Marlin but that was a solid boolit and for paper patching.

Then I decided to make one for my .308 and it turns out than an "N" reamer is perfect for .30 cal. to be paper patched. More recently I have made several different moulds and noses for my .303's but these i make to cast about 0.002" undersize then knurl and tumble lube. That works amazingly well.

When the Mihec Ness Safety Bullet group buy was running I debated gettign in on that but the boolit weight we higher than I wanted and I figured that HP pin would be a real problem so I used one of my .303 cal. bodies and made a new nose form up with an HP pin then cast some up. I was surprised that even with a near full length HP pin with little taper I had no hang ups. I knurled, tumble lubed then off to the range. They shot about as well as the reports about the Ness bullet giving me 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards from my lee Enfield No. 5. Not benchrest accuracy but not bad for an old milsurp with an old guy shooting it.

I use pieces of copper tube around the nose form pin to set the height. I set the height to what I think it should be then measure and cut tube. Then cast to see if I need longer or shorter to hit the weight I want. Then trim the tube down or cut another piece a little longer. Of course now I have lots of little pieces of tube to try out.

You are right Frank, these are easy to make and allow experimenting with diameters, weights and nose profiles easily and cheaply (and I am cheap). I also like the versatility of being able to cast different weights from the same mould.

Good stuff.

longbow

dave roelle
02-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Longbow:

45 caliber used in my Shiloh------------i run the hunting bullets around 400 grains--80 grains Swiss 1 1/2--paper patched to o.448 raw slug is 0.442-----------lubed and sized before loading.

The hollow point core is a taper ground 1/4 dowel pin pressed into the end punch-----it can be removed with a 1/4-28 jack set screw from the other end of the punch.

works pretty well----------i didn't show the handle-----its a band wrapped around the mold body and clamped in place with an old hammer handle

I assume by your handle that your an Archery----------what do you shoot ?

Dave

dave roelle
02-24-2014, 08:47 AM
that should say "archer"seems edit isn't playing well this am

longbow
02-25-2014, 01:13 AM
My current and long time stick is a beat up old yew flatbow that pulls 57 lbs. I have been shooting it for about 15 years now. I got the wood after yew bark harvesters cut and stripped an entire forest of small trees here. Mostly they cut the wood into about 18" to 24" pieces but I found a few at 3' to 4' long so took those and split out staves then spliced them.

I also have black locust bows and my "canoe paddle" made from an oak board. It is 3" wide just above and below the handle and pulls 65 lbs.

So far I have made bows from maple, choke cherry, wild cherry, oak, birch, yew, black locust, hazelnut, Chinese waxwood and maybe a couple others.

After I shot my first self bow I was hooked. I feel like a kid with a stick and string every time I shoot the old stick (I'm old too). I had planned on setting up to make laminated longbows and recurves but after being seduced by all wood bows I never bothered.

Longbow

dave roelle
02-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Very nice indeed-i was the engineering manager ar Ben Pearson Archery for 8 years in the 70's.

We, Dick Tone and i resurected the composite longbow to the Pearson line "Ol Ben"-----i still shoot them, 40 to 99 pounds, course the "99 Pound Weakling" takes some working up to :)----archery was my life and profession for many many years.

PM me and i'll put you in touch with another self bow maker , he and i hunt together

Dave

longbow
02-26-2014, 12:06 AM
Something you might find interesting (WARNING! Thread wander!) is that I still have my first bow. It is a Ben Pearson Champion hickory static recurve I got when I was 9 years old. I bet it pulls 12 or 15 lbs.

I learned on it, my daughter learned on it, my niece learned on it and a Japanese exchange student learned on it. Its been around the block a time or two but is still in pretty good shape and shoots.

Better take archery off line now.

I should take some photos of my push out moulds and post. They certainly aren't as nice as you guy's moulds are but they work. So far best accuracy I have gotten from my Lee Enfield No. 5 is with a 215 gr. boolit form one of my pushout moulds.

Longbow

dave roelle
02-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Looking forward to seeing your push outs, i have been thinking of doing another with an interchangable nose section to quickly play with other bullet designs.

Dave

longbow
02-28-2014, 12:30 AM
That is exactly what I did with my smooth two diameter .303 mould when the Ness Safety Bullet group buy started. Hah! I told you that above. Anyway, the change was to make a wadcutter nose form with a LOOONG HP pin in it. Worked like a charm making a smooth clone of the Ness which I then knurled.

I've also made several nose forms for my .44 mould to produce round nose, RNFP, TC and full wad cutter.

I'll try to put some photos together but my machining is not on par with you guys. Functional but a little rough. I tend to be a minimalist anyway so the parts that don't provide function don't get much finishing (minimalist = lazy).

Longbow

dave roelle
02-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Very nice Sir----------------right now spring is almost here so i'll be abandoning the tooling projects till i get everything ready for spring. I hope to get back on the mold experiments in a month or so----------------looking forward to the pic's

ttyl
Dave

longbow
03-01-2014, 02:26 AM
Okay then warts and all, here is some of my handywork:

The 12 ga. mould was made to Greg Sappington's design for one of his prototype slugs for use in a wad and is bronze with both HP and FP noses. I spent a little more time making it look a bit nicer than moulds I make for myself. I like the bronze. It machines well and casts well.

The .303 mould is one that uses 3/4" diameter stock in a "holder" made of 1 1/2" diameter stock so the mould is a simple item that can be exchanged easily to other calibers. These are plain old 1020 cold rolled steel. Pic #3 shows the inner mould, nose form, D-bit used to ream the mould and make the nose form along with a .303 boolit and a .44 boolit (obviously from another mould... so why did I put it there?).

The 12 ga, slugs are self explanatory.

The .303 boolits are a two diameter nose/bore rider that is cast smooth then knurled (in this case, grooved to produce microgrooves for tumble lube). Beside them is a boolit for a .44 mould. These are groove diameter but I have made moulds to produce boolits for paper patching for both the .44, .303's and standard .30 cal.

I am thinking that I should try some square stock a little smaller than the 1 1/2" round so maybe 1 1/4" or maybe even 1 1/8" square for the mould holder as it would be a bit lighter and the corners would make for mounting sprue plate pivot and sprue plate stop pin. I am even planning on making a multi-cavity mould by chucking it in a 4 jaw chuck of clamped to a face plate the move it along as I bore each cavity. Probably 4 cavity is as far as I would go.

Usually my nose form is full body diameter but I have made two diameter nose/bore riders and also reamed cavities into the block so that the ejector pin simply pushes out the boolit but is not a nose form. The 12 ga. mould is an example of that ~ I made a fully shaped D-bit to ream the cavity then the ejector pin is either HP or FP.

Certainly not as nice as what you guys produce but those boolits fly true so that is all I care about. Cheap and easy I care about too!

Longbow