PDA

View Full Version : Brass 28 Ga hulls?

badgeredd
02-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Does anyone have one of the 28 ga brass shells handy to give me some dimensions? I am primarily interested in the OD at the mouth and base, ID at the mouth, and rim diameter. I am contemplating a project and I need these dimensions to determine if my project is feasible.:wink: If it seems to be a go, I'll order some cases and proceed with my hair-brained idea. Thanks in advance.

Edd

owejia
02-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Edd, if you are refering to the magtech brass shells, the rim od is .675 plus or minus acouple of thousands out of round. The base od next to the rim is.619 + or - .oo1, the od at the mouth is .610 + or - .001, and the id is .590 + or - .001. I use 20 ga wads in my 28 ga magtech brass shells and they fit snug. I also use 12 ga wads in my 16 ga magtech brass hulls. The rim is .050 thick.

John Taylor
02-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Got a box of that brass a while back to make up for a rifle. Reverse engineering, start with the brass, see how big the bullet needs to be and make a barrel to fit. Comes out the same size as I needed for a .577 Snider, .580" bore and .590" groove. Got me an old brake open that needs a barrel so I'm on my way.

badgeredd
02-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Edd, if you are refering to the magtech brass shells, the rim od is .675 plus or minus acouple of thousands out of round. The base od next to the rim is.619 + or - .oo1, the od at the mouth is .610 + or - .001, and the id is .590 + or - .001. I use 20 ga wads in my 28 ga magtech brass shells and they fit snug. I also use 12 ga wads in my 16 ga magtech brass hulls. The rim is .050 thick.

Thanks, that is exactly what I need. It appears my thinking in this case was correct, so I'll be ordering some cases. Thanks again.

Edd

badgeredd
02-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Got a box of that brass a while back to make up for a rifle. Reverse engineering, start with the brass, see how big the bullet needs to be and make a barrel to fit. Comes out the same size as I needed for a .577 Snider, .580" bore and .590" groove. Got me an old brake open that needs a barrel so I'm on my way.

John,

It seems we are thinking in a like manner. I have a barrel and have been thinking about making a rifle with it provided I could find brass to form cases from. The 28 ga. cases will work for me. Now to figure out the length I need for the charge I have in mind. The whole thing is going onto a Greener action eventually. The planned projectile will be between 450 and 600 grains. A nice plinker rifle, ya think?

Edd

felix
02-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Well now, my line of thought ever since getting a 45 Colt gun! Get the loaded rounds first, and then make the gun. ... felix

357maximum
02-03-2014, 06:35 PM
John,

It seems we are thinking in a like manner. I have a barrel and have been thinking about making a rifle with it provided I could find brass to form cases from. The 28 ga. cases will work for me. Now to figure out the length I need for the charge I have in mind. The whole thing is going onto a Greener action eventually. The planned projectile will be between 450 and 600 grains. A nice plinker rifle, ya think?

Edd

AAAHHHHHH the ol 58 KnuckleBall Express is about to become reality....saweeeeeet.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-09-2014, 04:52 PM
These cases don't last very long when adapted for the higher-pressure Martini-Henry, as they tend to split at the rim, but they should work pretty well for the Snider. Original chambers, made for the composite case, might have a shallower recess for the iron rim. But this is one you won't be using cases of the original type for.

I have some in 24ga which I will eventually use for a shotgun, and in this application they have a snag. Original thin brass cases were used in special shotguns with a larger bore than usual, to compensate for the wider wads and shot column in the thin-walled case. It used to be considered dangerous to use them in ordinary guns for paper cases in that gauge. I'd work up from a low load, using soft felt wads, and a glued top wad which doesn't exert the 60lb. or so tension of a good turnover closure.

John Taylor
02-18-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm building mine on an old brake open 12 gauge just because I have one in the shop. Just got done with a 577 snider on a rolling block that seemed to be a close fit.