PDA

View Full Version : A trip to Gander Mt

Bret4207
09-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Stopped by Gander Mt after having my sons braces serviced, oil changed, whatever it is they do. Made the mistake of picking up the Win 94 in 25-35. Ugly stock, poor finish, I want it. Of course next to it was one of the Marlin Cowboy long barreled 45-70's. I want it. Did I mention the Winchester 9422 Tribute? I want it. I want it, I want it, I want it!

Too many guns to play with, not enough $$$.

Frank46
09-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Brett, don't you just love it when things go that way??. Seems when I have some spending money and I go to a gun show I see exzactly nothing that even remotely interests me. And when I go broke then it seems like every dealer has something I've been looking for. Sometimes you just can't win. I have not seen anything decent lately
and here in louisiana now we have to watch out for flood guns. These are the ones that got submerged and the dealer didn't get to in time to save. Oh yeah he'll pass them off as new but inside will be covered with oil and rust. Besides they are usually about $100 bucks more than normal. Seen it happen a few times. Frank

Griff
09-07-2005, 10:46 PM
...here in louisiana now we have to watch out for flood guns. These are the ones that got submerged and the dealer didn't get to in time to save. Oh yeah he'll pass them off as new but inside will be covered with oil and rust. Besides they are usually about $100 bucks more than normal. Seen it happen a few times. Frank

Oh say it ain't so [smilie=p:

7br
09-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Gander Mountain just opened a store in Wichita. I went last weekend. Picked up some camo for my 8 yr old son and a sleeve of 209 primers especially for muzzleloaders. They were about a buck more per hundred. I asked the sales rep what the difference was between them and regular primers. He said "They're for muzzleloaders". Oh, that's what is different. My nephew showed up later with 200+ primers from my brother. I did look at a bantam model 870 in 20 ga. for my 11 yr old son. Still a little big for him. Next spring, he will probably turkey hunt with his bow and then maybe in the fall he will be big enough to handle a shotgun.

They had a Krag for $1000, a Merkel SxS .410, and a few other fancy things.

carpetman
09-08-2005, 09:52 AM
7BR you picked up some primers for a muzzleloader that were about a buck more per hundred and you asked the clerk what the difference was. I can answer that--it would be about a penny apiece difference.

fiberoptik
10-06-2005, 12:52 AM
[smilie=p: Them "Special" muzzleloader primers are made to only lite black powder. Not gray, green, brown or blue, only "black". Course they're made for the gifted people that always pull on the door that says "PUSH" also... [smilie=l:

Ed Barrett
10-06-2005, 01:09 AM
I think some of those "for black powder" things are like those lures that catch the fishermans eye but not the fishs eye.

MT Gianni
10-07-2005, 12:11 AM
When Gander Mountain had a national catalog I bought a combo shovel, axe and saw that all packed together and used the same handle. It has been great. Do they still have anything like this in their retail stores? I confess I thought they went broke in the early 80's. Gianni.

Shepherd2
10-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Gander Mountain did go bankrupt some years ago but I think it was later than the early 80's. I thought I read that they had been bought out by Cabela's. I've passed the store in Columbus many times but have never had time to stop. I'll have to allow some extra time next trip and check it out.

C A Plater
10-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Gander Mountain did go bankrupt some years ago but I think it was later than the early 80's. I thought I read that they had been bought out by Cabela's. I've passed the store in Columbus many times but have never had time to stop. I'll have to allow some extra time next trip and check it out.
I used to live 6 miles from their home of Wilmot WI and had several friends that worked there. I was the 90's when they died of self inflicted wounds. They hired the manager that Lands End fired after nearly destroying the company. The new presidend wanted to take GM retail and neglected the mail order business completly which was 80% of their revenue. He succeeded at GM and destroyed the company in the process. Cabelas did aquire what was left of the catalog operations and kept GM alive for a few more months. The company filed for bankruptcy in 1997 and the retail operations were bought up by a Minnesota base Holiday Companies. These are the people running it today.