PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 45-200 loads in 1911

Boogieman
02-02-2014, 01:23 AM
I found a 200 gr. SWC 45 RCBS mold at a gun show today. Can't find any loading data for this boolit on line. Anyone using this boolit in a 1911 ? I could use info on OAL to start & pet loads. This is not the 201gr H&G style mold , it's more like the Lyman 452460.

Ford SD
02-02-2014, 02:09 AM
I found a 200 gr. SWC 45 RCBS mold at a gun show today. Can't find any loading data for this boolit on line. Anyone using this boolit in a 1911 ? I could use info on OAL to start & pet loads. This is not the 201gr H&G style mold , it's more like the Lyman 452460.

if it is the same one I have OAL = 1.184+- just remember every gun is different

Work up the power charge to get the vel you want.

I used WST for target loads and WSF for faster loads

With the large amount of lube that bullet holds I had to clean after 350 or so rounds to remove bullet lube and burnt powder buildup
Pull the slide off and just use a old tooth brush and then off for another (2-300) rounds
(slide face and under the barrel)
dirt under the barrel would stop barrel from going back far enough and I would get a fallure to feed (hang up on ramp)

did not know, what i know now

Your results could vary from mine

It did cut nice round holes in the paper

Still have the mould but picked up 2x4cav H&G 200g molds so find 1x2 cav very slow to cast with

Boogieman
02-02-2014, 03:41 AM
if it is the same one I have OAL = 1.184+- just remember every gun is different

Work up the power charge to get the vel you want.

I used WST for target loads and WSF for faster loads

With the large amount of lube that bullet holds I had to clean after 350 or so rounds to remove bullet lube and burnt powder buildup
Pull the slide off and just use a old tooth brush and then off for another (2-300) rounds
(slide face and under the barrel)
dirt under the barrel would stop barrel from going back far enough and I would get a fallure to feed (hang up on ramp)

did not know, what i know now

Your results could vary from mine

It did cut nice round holes in the paper

Still have the mould but picked up 2x4cav H&G 200g molds so find 1x2 cav very slow to cast with
Thanks I'll start with that OAL & Titegroup had been using Lee's H&G style but my old mold got loose. It loads long, 1.250, I can't get Lee's 200gr TL SWC to run in my Colts. 3 point jams with every OAL I tried, I've been powder coating My boolits with HF red powder paint with no other lub. They shoot as clean as ,j....boolits & load clean ,lub no in the seating die. No leading in 357mag. at 1300fps using 8-9 Bhn. hardness alloy.

Clay M
02-03-2014, 12:29 PM
I have been shooting this bullet for years. My main load is 5.5 to 6 grs of Unique, Win brass and primer. I taper crimp to the front edge of the first driving band. Next time I load I will be using HS-6 and hopefully get somewhat better accuracy.

Boogieman
02-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Tried 4.4gr titegroup CCI primers 1.215 OAL they feed ok ,first 5 shot group about 2" at 50ft ,2 hand standing. Didn't crono. It was 30 degrees with 3" of snow & still snowing. hard to find empties. Today sun's out & 40F Need to clean off the bench & crono some If groups hold I'll call it a target load. want to try some Unique for heavy loads .TG is good but hits max lower than slower powders.