PDA

View Full Version : Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler & Cases Prep & Trim Center

Longhill
02-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Now posted for sale in Amazon.com $213.99, including stainless steel media.

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Reloading-Tools-Platinum/dp/B00HTN4R6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391311467&sr=8-1&keywords=PLATINUM+SERIES+ROTARY+TUMBLER

And a new case trimmer is coming soon too.

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Reloading-Tools-Platinum/dp/B00HS7JEB4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391311690&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Platinum+Series+Case+Prep+and+Trim+Center

Bored1
02-01-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure I would buy that case trimmer over the lyman or RCBS. 199.99 seems like a lot to me for Frankford Arsenal. Only reason I have a few of their items is because they were cheaper than the other options.

Bayou52
02-02-2014, 10:47 AM
The tumbler looks interesting. I simpy note there are no belts - a plus in my book - and a plastic rather than a metal drum.

I would be interested in seeing some user reviews, but don't seem to see any yet. Too new, perhaps.

xacex
02-03-2014, 09:58 PM
For converting 300 blackout the case prep trimmer might be useful if it trims accurately. Currently I use the jig in harbor freight mini chop saw, size trim with a Forster trimmer, chamfer, ream primer pockets, and debur with bits in a drill then to wet tumble. I do a couple hundred at a time in a couple of hours.

LUBEDUDE
02-04-2014, 03:32 PM
I would like to know if the trimmer has plastic or metal gears?

blikseme300
02-04-2014, 09:41 PM
I would like to know if the trimmer has plastic or metal gears?

$5 says it's plastic. :wink:

LeftyDon
02-05-2014, 08:00 AM
$5 says it's plastic. :wink:

Most likely correct and not in a positive way. However, if manufacturers used the correct plastic vs. the cheapest resins then plastic could outlast metal.

Lloyd Smale
02-05-2014, 08:18 AM
got to agree. If it were a 100 bucks maybe but if im going to spend 200 id just as soon save a bit more and by a rcbs or hornady
I'm not sure I would buy that case trimmer over the lyman or RCBS. 199.99 seems like a lot to me for Frankford Arsenal. Only reason I have a few of their items is because they were cheaper than the other options.

LUBEDUDE
02-05-2014, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=LeftyDon;2615578 However, if manufacturers used the correct plastic vs. the cheapest resins then plastic could outlast metal.[/QUOTE]

Not to be argumentmentative, considering the torque and force on gears, is there some kind of Super NASA Style Indestructible plastic out there ?

I'm just an old school guy that is drawn to Steel anyday over plastic.

I NEVER shoot my plastic guns. Why did I buy them? They have no Soul.

I leave one in my truck. If it gets stolen, who cares ?

jwsg99
02-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Friend who is a buyer for scheels went to vegas shot show and talked to the guys at the frankford booth. They say the gears are all metal.

goblism
07-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Anyone use one of these trimmers?

Cowboy_Dan
07-28-2014, 01:58 AM
I leave one in my truck. If it gets stolen, who cares ?

Not going to try to steal it from you, but if you don't want it, you could always give it to me.:bigsmyl2:

goblism
08-10-2014, 01:39 PM
I bought and have used my trimmer for about 1300 pieces of 223 brass. Tool about 3 hours to trim, deburr, chamfer, and clean the primer pocket. Fairly easy to setup. The trimmer works like a pencil sharpener. I usuallytrim one case while deburrring and chamfering another. At a fast pace I was doing 12 pieces for minute. Cases measured 1.750-1.753, plenty accurate for the 223 in my mind. Very happy customer, next thing will be the durability long term. The unit seems pretty solid, not very loud(was expecting it to be louder) I found it easiest to use standing up.

VHoward
08-10-2014, 04:06 PM
I just bought one and was supprised at how quiet it is. You can use it with the machine lying on it's side. There is a bracket you can put on to set the machine at 2 different angles and you can stand it up on end. So however you choose to use it is good. It was quick to set up and easy to use and comes with everything you need to process most cartridges. It won't remove primer pocket crimps. How ever, it will take RCBS accesories that fit on the RCBS case center. So you could get the RCBS crimp removers for it.

goblism
08-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Just did another 500 rounds, still amazed at how well it works, great product. I need to get a military crimp remover yet as I have quite a few of those saved up

Silverboolit
08-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Just tried my new tumbler this evening. Works great. Only downside that I had was the end caps needed to be really tight to prevent leaks. Put in approx. 200 .45ACP for 1 hour, came out spotless. A little noisier that the HF dual drum that I have been using, but it runs a lot faster. All in all, a good product, so far. Midway has a sale on it for 179.00, IIRC. With the 5# if pins, that I figure the cost of the tumbler is about 120.00. Not bad. ( I told my wife that it was on 'SALE'.)

rodsvet
01-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Amazon has this rotary tumbler for $159 with 5# of pins and free delivery. So basically, it's $105. The Rebel17 and Thumbler's appear to be the same unit and only hold half the quantity and are $110 more and then you pay for shipping. For a commercial guy they would be the way to go?? But for just several hundred cases a month, the Frankford Arsenal looks to be the wiser choice. I'll let you guys know if it doesn't stand up! It does have a 1 year warranty. Rod

Eddie17
01-23-2015, 07:06 PM
I've used mine for over a year now with thousands of cases washed. Just finished 2500 cases of 40 S&W today. Three loads as I find smaller batches easier to rinse and recover the pins.
I love the look of the finished product, cases look brand new.

John Boy
01-23-2015, 07:13 PM
Now posted for sale in Amazon.com $213.99, including stainless steel media.
Price change - now $160 for a 7 liter & pins. Not a bad deal

NileCitySlick
01-23-2015, 09:09 PM
I like my Franklin wet tumbler. Took a bit to get a routine down. I use about a tablespoon+ of Dawn dishwashing liquid and a teaspoon of LemiShine (on soap aisle) after filling with water. Better than the commercial additive. I decap my black powder cartridges then put all the cases for one caliber (read 45-70 and/or 45-75). I run it for 3 hours and they come out very clean, inside & out including the primer pockets. I partially fill my media separator (bottom half) with clear water and slowly tumble the cases to rinse and remove pins. I find it is easy to empty and not lose pins down the drain. A trick of mine: pour the water out in a slow stream aimed at a magnet (Harbor Freight) to catch any that might spill. Drying: I use a paint roller tray with the expanded metal insert made for the tray (Home Depot) covered with a piece of t-shirt rag. If I am in a hurry to use the cases, I use my heat gun on the damp cases to dry them quickly. The pins can be dried by leaving them in the bottom of the separator. I use a magnet to pick up any stray pins.
It's a bit more work than using dry media but the cleaning is superior. I hear from others that if you don't use the cases soon, they need to have some Ballistol or something coating them.

goblism
01-23-2015, 11:45 PM
I have both the trimmer and the tumbler.

I tried using my grandfathers tumbler for rocks and the frankford hands down is a better product. Can handle more brass at a time as well as is quieter in use.

The trimmer works well with bottle neck brass. I can move through the 223 pretty quick when I sit down and watch a show. The big advantage over this trimmer over RCBS or the like is that it can trim to length. Great products that can be had at a reasonable price if you shop around

silverjay
01-24-2015, 09:14 PM
If you have an early trimmer the outside chamfer wears out quickly. Franklin will replace with the new design if you call them.