PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have any good bratwurst recipes

jroc
02-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Just checking to see if anybody on here has any good recipes for brat sausages. Thanks Jim

MT Gianni
02-02-2014, 10:58 PM
A meatcutter friend says the recipe is pepper, salt and garlic + smoke. The only difference between Bratworst and Polish is the size of the grind. That broke a few bubbles for me.

condorjohn
02-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Actually, for polish you need to add Marjoram = Kilbasa...

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Im lazy. I buy a premade mix from the meatman.com

Moonie
02-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Several here:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

Every recipe I've tried from there has been very good.

Garyshome
02-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the link...I love sausage,Brats/Kielbassa........

jroc
03-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Still looking for a good Brat recipe also Polish and Italian sausage recipes.

Czech_too
03-26-2014, 07:23 AM
http://www.slovakcooking.com/2010/recipes/sausages/

Lloyd Smale
03-28-2014, 05:53 AM
dont really know if your looking for recipes to make bratts or recipes to use them in but if its use them in a favorite around here is chop them up into chunks and put them in baked beans. Quick and easy meal

jaysouth
03-28-2014, 10:28 PM
I have taken several deer to this Amish processing plant in Koshkonong, MO for processing into Brats. They mix a lot of pork and pork fat with it.

MaryB
03-28-2014, 11:11 PM
I really miss the all beef brats that were made by a small local meat market that is no longer in business. Been trying to get the recipe but the former owner will not part with it. The recipe from the book "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" isn't bad.

Lloyd Smale
03-29-2014, 07:07 AM
you want to mix at least 5050 venison/ground up pork buts. I like about 60 percent better. brat isnt a brat without some good pork fat in it.
I have taken several deer to this Amish processing plant in Koshkonong, MO for processing into Brats. They mix a lot of pork and pork fat with it.

reloader28
03-29-2014, 11:49 AM
We just use the Cabelas kit. I dont think you can get easier.
We used 50/50 to get rid of some deer meat, but it was a little dry. Great flavor though.
Next time we'll try 60% pork.

mold maker
03-29-2014, 12:06 PM
That deer/pig brat makes a pot of cooked cabbage next to heaven.

Lloyd Smale
03-30-2014, 08:00 AM
youll find with brats or about any fresh sausage that the fat is where its at. Im a big fan of venison but the least you use in sausage the better it will be. The best bratts or italian sauage or breakfast sausage i make is use just pork buts ground as is. I guess i use venision because its kind of fun to try stuff and to be able to claim the sausage is made from your venison. to be honest if i only shot a couple deer a year id use my scraps for burger and make my sausage out of pork. Once a year the local grocery store has a meat sale and i can get whole pork but for a 1.40 a lb (last years price) so I usualy pick up a 100lbs to make sausage out of and another 20 to make summer sausage with. Exception to this is summer sauage, snack sticks, peperoni, salami ect. The are best made from venison with 10 percent pork but. that is where most of my extra scraps go. Way to greasy if made from just pork
We just use the Cabelas kit. I dont think you can get easier.
We used 50/50 to get rid of some deer meat, but it was a little dry. Great flavor though.
Next time we'll try 60% pork.

jroc
03-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks Czech too I like that site. I've been busy working a lot of hours but have some time now. Thanks for all the responses from everybody. lpoli sight is a great sight I have used a lot of his formulations. I make a lot of sausage just always looking for new recipes to try. I grew up in Upstate New York and was able to experience a lot of different cultures with some great sausages. I used to go to a place in Elmira NY called D'Annunzio's every time I went back to visit my family to get some absolutely awesome Italian sausage but the guy passed away and to my knowledge have closed down. Anyhow thanks for all the reply's.

jroc
03-30-2014, 07:54 PM
By the way Loyd I was looking for sausage recipes themselves not recipes to use sausage in. Thanks.

Lloyd Smale
03-31-2014, 07:36 AM
then the book Mary recomended should be a mandatory purchase for you. It will give you recipes for about every kind of sausage that exists.

randyrat
03-31-2014, 07:55 AM
I have made hundreds and hundreds pounds of sausage and the general population LOVES the seasoning "LEGGS" I used to make 50 lbs of the bratwurst up at a time and stuff them in natural hog casings.
Find the Brat season or PM and I can sell you some for cost.
Make or adjust 1 pkg per 50 lbs and add a quart of buttermilk WOW! Everybody will love your Brats

For the hassle it ain't worth trying to buy all the ingredients for this seasoning.... Artificial casings are much more common now and may be less expensive unless you have a supply of real hog casings.....Or you can just make them into patties and not worry about stuffing into links

M-Tecs
03-31-2014, 09:22 AM
http://store.butchersupply.net/ac-leggs-bratwurst-seasoning-blend-104-p540.aspx

jroc
03-31-2014, 11:26 PM
I've never put any pics on this site so this may or may not work. Pics of Smoked Venison sausage and Smoked venison ham from this past December. For some reason I can't get pics that were from my phone yo upload. Lets try some other ones that were not from my phone. These don't have the venison hams.

MaryB
04-01-2014, 01:18 AM
I will take 2 pounds of each!

DougGuy
04-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Whoa that looks SO good!!

I use AC Legg seasonings in my sausage, noticed they have polish kielbasa, smoked polish kielbasa and bratwurst seasonings. They have expanded a lot since I started using their seasonings, looks like they might be worth looking at for just about any kind of sausage.

http://www.aclegg.com/seasonings/

They did have this posted as the "Working Instructions" so I guess this is their recipe:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Sausage%20Making/ACLeggBratwurstRecipe_zps4df55096.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Sausage%20Making/ACLeggBratwurstRecipe_zps4df55096.jpg.html)

jroc
04-02-2014, 07:09 AM
This might work I don't know for sure. I think it will this is the pic with the venison hams in it. I have been working on the hams for a couple years now and I have them just about where I want them. They were real good this year.

jroc
04-02-2014, 07:10 AM
I think if you click on the pic it will get bigger.

jroc
04-02-2014, 07:20 AM
DougGuy Leggs has some real good seasoning mixes. They have been around for a long time, they have just started in the last 15 years or so expanding there market to the home sausage maker. Before that they just focused on the commercial market and large batch mixes as do Witts and Newlyweds seasonings. All my mixes are my own formulations that have have been working on and with for years. Every time I try something new I always record everything on paper, I have a problem recalling just exactly what I did if I like a change I made and don't write it down.

DougGuy
04-02-2014, 10:22 AM
You are definitely way deep into making sausages and hams. I'd love to try some of that sometime. Looks really good!

Lloyd Smale
04-04-2014, 03:52 AM
your about as bad as me. I did 150lb of summer sausage and 150 lbs of fresh sausage this year. Typicaly its more like 200-250 of each but the deer shooting was a bit slow this year.
This might work I don't know for sure. I think it will this is the pic with the venison hams in it. I have been working on the hams for a couple years now and I have them just about where I want them. They were real good this year.

jroc
04-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Ya I've made a bunch over the years. I probably make 1000 lbs or better every year I've got quite a few guys that bring me there venison every year and have me turn it into sausage for them. My hunting buds and there families all get together once or twice in the fall and early winter after deer season and do up a bunch of sausage and cook up a bunch of venison on the grill and have a few toddies. To me that is the best. Nothing like a bunch of huntin buddies having a good time together. Loyd Old Man Winter is going to give you guys up their in da UP one last kick in the arss again tonight eh. Well I hope it ain't too bad. I know you guys still have a boat load of snow up there. It's been a tough winter this year, I hope it didn't hurt your deer herd too bad.

MaryB
04-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Friend who I lost to cancer used to hold a cow party every fall. We would cut and wrap 4-5 whole beef, make sausage for the smoker etc on a weekend when it was 34-40 degrees so the garage was cool. Spread tarps after a full wash down and go to work. I miss that, his wife can't handle the memories of us all having a good time without Jim.

Just Duke
04-05-2014, 04:14 AM
I've never put any pics on this site so this may or may not work. Pics of Smoked Venison sausage and Smoked venison ham from this past December. For some reason I can't get pics that were from my phone yo upload. Lets try some other ones that were not from my phone. These don't have the venison hams.

Oh stop it! I'm getting heart burn.........

6bg6ga
04-05-2014, 07:27 AM
I can feel my cholesterol go up just looking at the pictures.

jroc
04-05-2014, 07:27 AM
DUKE NUKEM I f them pics of sausage give you heartburn maybe this pic wil help cure it.101439

buckwheatpaul
04-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Here is my recipe.....it comes out good....still working on getting them to be a little more course ...
Amended Jalapeno and Cheese Bratwurst Receipt

INGREDIENTS:
4 lbs pork butt
12 0z. lb pork fat (or bacon ends – ground up)
COARCE grinder plate for pork, fat, jalapenos, cheese
12 oz block of sharp cheddar, shredded
6 oz. chopped jalapenos*
(Mrs. Renfros is great if you have that brand)
2 Tbl garlic salt
2 Tbl black pepper, ground
2 Tbl tomato paste concentrate
DIRECTIONS:

1. Mix salt, pepper and tomato paste with 2 Tbl cold water until
dissolved/well mixed.
2. Cube the meat.

3. Combine meat, fat, cheese, jalapenos and spice mixture together until
well mixed.
4. Run only one (1) time through the grinder and into the stuffer tube.
5. Stuff into 33-35mm casings.

Grill and enjoy. I made these for the 1st time this summer and they were a huge hit. You could easily leave out the extra 1/2 pound of fat if you are so inclined.

* We used large can of whole jalapenos with carrots. We drained the juice, cut the pepper tops off and then cut the peppers in half (length wise); then took a spoon and scooped out the seeds and veins prior to grinding.
oarse in texture.....

jroc
04-14-2014, 06:34 AM
I got this recipe for brats last week on castpics.net and made them friday, then let em set till sunday before I cooked em up. Damn they were good.
http://www.castpics.net/Recipes/bratwurst.html