OK I was given some lead this morning by my Aunt

There were 8 full eggs and 3/4 of another
3 of the full eggs were just over 2 1/2 lb
5 and 3/4 of the eggs were just ove 1 1/4 lb

The eggs were nice painted up like Easter Egg's

My aunt remembers her step dad casting the egg's , a lot more
But no clue where the rest went
And her mother painting them
She remembers her step dad had a bunch in a wood basket , that was used as a door stop

Her step Dad was a plumber and the egg's are out of almost pure lead
So probely cast iron pipe joint lead

They probely got a laugh telling people to grab the basket of egg's

Not sure what I am going to do with the egg's
But a little fun

Just had to pass along my strange lead story

John

rollmyown
02-01-2014, 07:50 PM
You just need an egg gun. I haven't heard of one of those either. :-)

472x1B/A
02-01-2014, 08:22 PM
^^^ Or one huge slingshot.

Chihuahua Floyd
02-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Those must be the ones Beiber used to egg his neighbors house, caused thousands of $ worth of damage.
How's your throwing arm?
CF

jaysouth
02-01-2014, 08:38 PM
^^^ Or one huge slingshot.

Slingshot?..................you gonna need a catapult!

CastingFool
02-01-2014, 08:39 PM
You forgot to post a picture. [smilie=1:

waksupi
02-01-2014, 11:15 PM
There is a saloon in this area that used to have a cast lead 1911 laying on the end of the bar. It was a surprise when picked up.

a.squibload
02-02-2014, 12:03 AM
"Lead Egg's "

My first thought was "Don't kill that chicken!"

MaryB
02-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Fukushima chickens lay them...

geargnasher
02-02-2014, 12:26 AM
"Lead Egg's "

My first thought was "Don't kill that chicken!"

Brother, you got that right!

Gear

Got-R-Did
02-02-2014, 02:57 AM
You owe me a new keyboard! And a fresh cup of coffee.
Don't kill that chicken, indeed.
Got-R-Did.

JeffinNZ
02-02-2014, 04:57 AM
You guys have been reading way to much Jack and the Beanstalk.

richhodg66
02-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Wonder where they got egg molds. I never heard of anyone doing that before, seems like they'd be nice family mementos.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Very good MaryB. That's probably about right.

a.squibload
02-04-2014, 11:34 PM
You owe me a new keyboard!...Got-R-Did.

Sorry about that, just remember to unplug it before you throw it in the dishwasher, should be fine.

biggc1
02-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Need to find me a lead egg laying chicken!

Wolfer
02-05-2014, 01:30 PM
I can barely get my chickens to lay regular eggs much less lead eggs. Maybe I need to change their feed!

montana_charlie
02-05-2014, 01:45 PM
My chickens would probably be much happier if they were laying lead eggs.
As it stands now, if a hen gets her tail into the wind - she may lay the same egg three or four times.

CM

Dale in Louisiana
02-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Lead egg would be a big, horrible surprise to a chicken snake.

Grandma had porcelain nest eggs for the snakes.

dale in Louisiana

DCM
02-06-2014, 12:20 AM

That's a good tip to remember, thanks.

Mk42gunner
02-06-2014, 09:10 AM

dale in Louisiana

My Grandma had one too. I remember that after the porcelain egg got taken, you wanted to find the snake fairly quickly to recover the egg-- few things smell deader than a dead snake.

Robert

bear67
02-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Sometimes when the ol' chicken snake takes one of Mama Bears porcelain or marble eggs, you have to look farther to find and recover your egg. A lead egg would mean that that mean ol' egg stealing snake would not get as far.

We have a basket of glass, porcelain and marble eggs in the house and visitors naturally pick the up and stroke them. I don't tell them how many snake bellies have been wrapped around them in their history. Sometimes best just not knowing.

Dale in Louisiana
02-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Sometimes when the ol' chicken snake takes one of Mama Bears porcelain or marble eggs, you have to look farther to find and recover your egg. A lead egg would mean that that mean ol' egg stealing snake would not get as far.

We have a basket of glass, porcelain and marble eggs in the house and visitors naturally pick the up and stroke them. I don't tell them how many snake bellies have been wrapped around them in their history. Sometimes best just not knowing.

I seem to remember that chickens had a pretty loose interpretation of what constituted an egg. I saw a few porcelain doorknobs in chicken nests, too.

By way of explanation to some of you non-country boys, many breeds of chicken will only lay when they think they're in a safe nest. If the farmer removes ALL the eggs, the chicken will think that something is raiding its nest and stop laying there. Being poor at math, if it sees ONE egg-like object, it thinks the nest is safe. That's the 'nest egg' function of a fake egg.

Feed stores used to sell glass eggs for use as nest eggs. These served dual functions: 1) Fool the chicken AND 2) if a chicken snake ate the glass egg, the thin glass would break inside the snake and the shards would kill it.

Thrifty farmers did not like the one egg = one snake ratio, so they adopted hardier nest eggs, including wood, plaster and porcelain versions.

dale in Louisiana
(teaching more about fake eggs than most people want to know.)

bear67
02-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Dale
I can remember as a boy when glass eggs were $1/doz at Brookshire and Johnson's feed store and Bernice Friedlander's hardware. In the 45 years we have been married, it has been recycled (reusable) marble and porcelain eggs. I do remember porcelain door knobs in nests though. I have modern repops of porcelain door knobs in our house. Better not find the knobs in the chicken house.

xacex
02-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Wonder where they got egg molds. I never heard of anyone doing that before, seems like they'd be nice family mementos.

Probably just poked a hole in top and bottom,blow out egg, and seal the bottom. I did that when I was a kid for porcelain eggs. Each egg shell should be good for one lead egg.

Bad Water Bill
02-08-2014, 03:31 AM
My first wife was from Germany. They used a newly greened out willow branch like we do a Xmas tree. Many a blown out eggs was decorated and hung on the "EASTER TREE".

Make a large hole in the bottom and a small one in the top.

Blow thru the small hole.

When empty AND DRIED place the egg in a box of sand big hole up and cover to the top hole with sand.

Now pour in the lead.

Presto you have a lead egg hidden inside.

Please do not try to eat,leave that to the snakes:bigsmyl2: