PDA

View Full Version : targets of opportunity

Wolfer
02-01-2014, 04:53 PM

While setting at the table eating a sandwich I noticed a target of opportunity had lit in the pasture about 75 yds out. i slid the window up ( the screen was already removed just for such things ) got me a rest off the kitchen table and lit the fire. Rifle of choice today was my turkish mauser in 7x57 and the rcbs 168 gr. 16 gr of 2400 gets me 1500 fps and thats as fast as i can push my soft alloy with this powder and stay accurate.

On a side note I did have complete penetration. Must not have hit any heavy bones. Woody

CastingFool
02-01-2014, 05:05 PM
I have a bathroom window set up that way!

357maximum
02-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Using a gun that is barely adequate for the quarry at hand.....how dare you? :lol:

I have several windows set up for that.....just mind the curtains...muzzle impulse can be a bit hard on them. :mrgreen:

TCLouis
02-01-2014, 10:23 PM
My kitchen window is set up that way.

Grackles and Starling (now) with .177 and air.

waksupi
02-01-2014, 11:33 PM
I think the horse on the grassy knoll did it.

Lonegun1894
02-02-2014, 02:19 AM
I can't believe y'all would all do this. I am kinder and gentler with my tresspassers, um, I mean, varmints, um, uh... Yep, bathroom and kitchen here.

NSP64
02-02-2014, 09:52 AM
kitchen window[smilie=1:

Digital Dan
02-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Wolfer, was the paint your spotter? Nice plinker you have there.

roverboy
02-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Nice rifle, and good shot. I'd have a good target window like that too but, one of my dogs nearly turns inside out when she hears a gunshot.

richhodg66
02-02-2014, 10:02 AM
I think the horse on the grassy knoll did it. :grin:

That's a nice looking rifle, by the way.

reloader28
02-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Kitchen window here. Custom built 257 Roberts sitting on the counter.
I'm not picky though. If theres a target of opportunity at another window with a screen, I can replace the screens pretty easily with new material later.:Fire:

merlin101
02-02-2014, 01:09 PM
HOW DARE YOU, Sit that nicely refinished wood stock on that rock! Nice shot BTW.
How do the horses react when you shoot? I used to go woodchuck hunting and set near a barn with horses. The youg ones would go nutz a couple of older ones would just perk up there ears and snort.

Wolfer
02-02-2014, 01:27 PM
I shoot so much around the horses that they don't pay much mind. The little woman's house dog will just about **** in the floor though.

This is my favorite rifle to hunt with. It's the first I built completely myself. The stock has several scratches in it now. Every few years I steel wool the crud off and give it another coat of Linspeed. Will look like new.
I'm wanting to build another just like it in a more cast friendly caliber. Right now I'm thinking 35 rem but midway and Shaw are about 4 months out on barrels. Which would be about right since I don't have a shop and do most of my work on the tailgate of the truck.
Woody

Changeling
02-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Nice rifle and fantastic caliber, W.M. Bell didn't do to bad with his either.

Wolfer
02-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Nice rifle and fantastic caliber, W.M. Bell didn't do to bad with his either.
When I was young I believed like the general public that the 7x57 was extremely outdated. Then I discovered Bell writeings. I bought one some years later with the intention of rebarreling to something better. Used it some and decided better might be hard to find and built this gun instead. A buddy has the first one and likes it as well as I did.

Bzcraig
02-02-2014, 01:45 PM
"Do you think you used enough dynamite Butch?" Nice lookin rifle!

labradigger1
02-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Windows on all sides here, my favorite is in the summer when the grouse get in my blueberries.
BTW, one out off three aint bad in your pic, nah, just kidding, beautiful horses.
Lab

mikeym1a
02-02-2014, 02:15 PM
I shoot so much around the horses that they don't pay much mind. The little woman's house dog will just about **** in the floor though.

This is my favorite rifle to hunt with. It's the first I built completely myself. The stock has several scratches in it now. Every few years I steel wool the crud off and give it another coat of Linspeed. Will look like new.
I'm wanting to build another just like it in a more cast friendly caliber. Right now I'm thinking 35 rem but midway and Shaw are about 4 months out on barrels. Which would be about right since I don't have a shop and do most of my work on the tailgate of the truck.
Woody

An aside here: My 'ex's' grandfather was a WWI Cavalryman. At one point he was stationed about 2 miles from where I sit, at a facility known locally as the 'Remount Station'. Whilst assigned there, his job was to break fresh mounts, and train them to be used to the sound of gunfire. Before he died, suffering from alsheimer's, he had retreated to his days as a cavalryman. While still of sound mind, he told me those were the happiest days of his life. Just an aside.....................[smilie=s:

tygar
02-02-2014, 02:41 PM
An aside here: My 'ex's' grandfather was a WWI Cavalryman. At one point he was stationed about 2 miles from where I sit, at a facility known locally as the 'Remount Station'. Whilst assigned there, his job was to break fresh mounts, and train them to be used to the sound of gunfire. Before he died, suffering from alsheimer's, he had retreated to his days as a cavalryman. While still of sound mind, he told me those were the happiest days of his life. Just an aside.....................[smilie=s:

Dam, well I'm still sound of mind (well maybe not) but not of body & I remember back when I was a kid & into my 40s, breaking & training horses, trail rides & hunting with them & always being able to look out at my pasture & see my horses & cattle. The wife & I frequently talk about just getting a couple to put out in the field just so we can see them. Once a cowboy....

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-02-2014, 02:56 PM
I think the horse on the grassy knoll did it.
Check for a hoof print on the trigger ?

smkummer
02-02-2014, 03:15 PM
That is what known as a reactive target. Feathers fly means the target is hit.

Treetop
02-07-2014, 07:24 PM
An aside here: My 'ex's' grandfather was a WWI Cavalryman. At one point he was stationed about 2 miles from where I sit, at a facility known locally as the 'Remount Station'. Whilst assigned there, his job was to break fresh mounts, and train them to be used to the sound of gunfire. Before he died, suffering from Alzheimer's, he had retreated to his days as a cavalryman. While still of sound mind, he told me those were the happiest days of his life. Just an aside.....................[smilie=s:

mikeym1a, before your ex's grandfather passed away, did he explain how he broke the horses to the sound of gun fire? If so, I would be interested in the process. Great story about him, BTW. We can learn so much from the old timers... Tt.

bearcove
02-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Upstairs dormer window/deer stand

tygar
02-07-2014, 07:36 PM
mikeym1a, before your ex's grandfather passed away, did he explain how he broke the horses to the sound of gun fire? If so, I would be interested in the process. Great story about him, BTW. We can learn so much from the old timers... Tt.

I used to use mine for hunting & even trained one so that I could shoot while mounted.

Like someone earlier posted, just start shooting around them, starting with them a ways away & move them closer until you can shoot while they are right behind you. Remember not to shoot so muzzle blast gets them or your SOL.

Another thing to do is change calibers from .22 to big rifle. The different types of sound can effect them differently.

I found out when training police dogs that shooting 44mags & big rifles were fairly easy but the sharp crack of the 22s would evoke a different reaction. (namely my old dog broke off to try & eat the guy who shot it)

Most but not all can be trained to handle gun shots.
Tom

jhalcott
02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
tygar, that goes for horses, dogs and WOMEN!!

Wolfer
02-07-2014, 07:55 PM

I don't know how they did it but here is how I do it.
Years ago I noticed horses shied from the first shot but often not the second. The trick is to let them know your going to shoot.
I never carry my rifle in the scabbard with a rd in the chamber. Starting with a quieter rifle I'll ride a young but broke horse around the place. Every little bit I'll get off, slide the rifle out of the scabbard, work the bolt and fire off a round while holding the lead rope. They often jump around a little but I've never had one break loose from me.
A couple shots and I'll ride a little farther and do it again. They very quickly learn the sond of the bolt means there'll be a shot afterward. Most horses will settle in to this much faster than you might think.
It probably helps that I shoot around them quite a lot and when the younger ones see that the older ones don't pay any mind then they don't perceive danger. Maybe?

I never shoot off their backs. For one a horse is never still. They are constantly fidgeting, swishing their tail or picking a fight with their buddies. Just try to use your binoculars while setting on one.

I'm often asked if you can shoot off my horses and I always reply the same.
You can once! Woody

I type slow.
Yes some horses will take it rather well. Some are pretty bad gun shy. But I've never seen one that didn't eventually settle in enough to hunt with.
My favorite hunting horse at the time is also the most gun shy I've ever seen. 5 years old and unbroken when I got him. If I shot within a couple hundred yards of him he would leave the other horses and run away. Once broken ( he's pretty bronky and some people don't think he's broke yet ) he would really cut a fit but never pull the lead rope tight.
If we're riding along and see some elk as someone is getting ready to shoot ill rub his top knot and tell him it's ok. He won't flick an ear. He's 14 now and still jumps pretty good if he don't know it's coming.

tygar
02-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Yep, my wife could shoot good enough to compete but just don't give dam about it.

With both dogs & horses I found it's not rocket science. Just get them acclimated to it & gradually work up.

I totally agree about shooting off horses backs, as I said, I've only had one. Funny thing was, he was my stud horse. Got him off the Nez Pierce reservation at about 6mos & he was a cupcake. Just wanted to be with you, no problems with any training, cookie broke, never even a hop. 16.3, 1250 & I could just lead him up to a mare with a halter, let him sniff a couple times & up he went. No biting, no problems, easy breeder. Of course he would kick the snot out of geldings & try to breed them lol. Had him 33 yrs. Sure miss him.

bearcove
02-07-2014, 08:33 PM
women are easier than some dogs I've had

tygar
02-07-2014, 08:58 PM
women are easier than some dogs I've had

Man not to me. Been married 48yrs & at least once every few months were looking up divorce attorneys.

I wish I had know all the stuff about training dogs & horses that I know now.

Cookie & toy training, positive reinforcement & operant conditioning. I can't imagine how many times I've been thrown, bitten or stomped or rolled on. I could tell you stories of some nasty az critters I've had.

Instead of training using 2x4s, its toys & food with dogs & food & slow gentling into what you need with horses.

I've been dog training retired since the 02 Nationals but friends up in AK said I had to have this dog who is the Gr Grandson of my old dog who died last yr at 16. They knew how I liked a really nasty, bad az dog, & he is. He's good enough that I have been training him (when my crippled old bod could) since 6mo. He'll be 2 in May. He is really something. Makes me want to get some more horses. Maybe a 10yo gelding, rocking chair QH, totally solid, with rock like nerves. Couldn't afford a fall or I'd be in a wheel chair. lol

bearcove
02-07-2014, 09:03 PM
I've had border collie and aus shepard mixes. Texas and Alaska women YMMV

tygar
02-07-2014, 09:15 PM
I've had border collie and aus shepard mixes. Texas and Alaska women YMMV

German Shepherds all the way. Got my first one back in the 50s. Also raised St. Bernards, & Rottweillers. Kennel name is House of the Big Dogs.

bearcove
02-07-2014, 09:43 PM
My wife loves German shepherds. Do you have big GS's with strong hips?

tygar
02-07-2014, 10:00 PM
My wife loves German shepherds. Do you have big GS's with strong hips?

All my dogs are from German lines from Europe. All, going back generations have had certified hips. All mine have always had & produced good hips.

I don't like or use "big" dogs. They are more prone to injury, are slower & die younger. My lines are medium sized, males 75-80, females 60-70. Most all my dogs live 13+ yrs with many 14-15.

Changeling
02-09-2014, 04:19 PM
WOW, that must have been a really rare strain of women. Is there any left in the pack you got her from?

308w
02-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Thats a good crow I always said......

TXGunNut
02-10-2014, 11:24 PM
There wasn't a window or horse involved but I'll never forget one HP crow kill at over 100 yds. Loaded some CCI 100 gr half jackets over a healthy load of 4064 in a 30-06. Didn't find much other than feathers. Yeah, Kid, I think I used just enough dynamite. ;-)

jaysouth
02-11-2014, 01:14 AM

Women are very good at making you think that you have them trained. In reality, it is the other way around.

WRideout
02-11-2014, 07:36 AM
My wife is always after me for forgetting some important event, like her birthday. I told her that men are like German shepherds; loyal, faithful, protective, but we need to be trained.

Wayne