PDA

View Full Version : Do you gotta?

43PU
02-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Do you really have to send in the H&R for the barrel fitting? I want some barrels but they charge so much for shipping and fitting and everything, has anyone ever done this?

43 PU

dualsport
02-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Yes, you must send it in to get a new barrel from the factory. They will not just sell a barrel without having your frame to fit it too. Some of the time a used barrel will fit your frame. You can find used barrels for sale at greybeard's.com and plenty of good advice re. the H&Rs. I've bought used barrels there and usually have been able to fit them to one of my frames. Not always. The service from the factory is surprisingly fast and you know it's done right.

Gtek
02-01-2014, 11:13 PM
A lawyer lives within every hole, they will also etch S/N on barrel lug. Gtek

tacklebury
02-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Lots of barrels are sold and traded at Graybeard forums every day. There have been a couple server glitches, so be careful not to be commenting on old posts at the moment. Hopefully, once they get the hard drive backup installed things will be current. I've bought 3 barrels in the last 2 months myself. 8) I have a 13 barrel set-up and still climing. ;) My regular switchbarrel gun is .223, 7mm-08, .30-40 Krag, 30-06 .357 Maximum, .410 slugger, .45 Colt, .45-70 Gov and 12 ga. 3.5" with screw chokes. I also have 32" .45-70 BC barrel, .58 Cal muzzy, .45 cal Muzzy and all fit the same frame. Only 2 barrels had to have any modifications to snap on. ;) Just make sure you start with an SB2 frame, so you can put any barrels on it. The only barrels you cannot have on a std. SB2 is 10 ga. and 12 ga. Ultra Slug rifles. These have to be on a 10 ga. frame. ;)

This pic is not completely current as I have added the 30-06 recently. 8)

uscra112
02-02-2014, 04:47 AM
I found that headspace of any barrel I got was kinda "iffy" when I bought for my Contender. Do you not have the same issues with the H&R? Tolerances being what they usually are in mass produced cheap rifles, I would have thought so.

Big Rack
02-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Last time I was on the Greybeard site my computer got infected, about two months ago.

tacklebury
02-02-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm sure it is possible to get some with excessive head space. I personally have never had a FTF or headspace issue on my 10 or so barrels. (3) were purchased new, my .45-70 BC, .45 Colt and 7mm-08. In order to get the 7mm-08 barrel to lock on to this frame, I had to remove about 3/64" of material from the latch shelf. I did so with a diamond file by hand and checked the fit every 10 strokes or so. Other than that, I think my .30-40 krag barrel took about 30 strokes with the same file. There is a bit of luck with it, but as you state, there are issues with contenders, Rossi Wizards and any other firearm that doesn't have the fit done at the factory. I heard of "interchangeable" Rossi Wizard barrels with over an 1/8" variance in their underlug. Not too good for a gun that's supposed to swap without any fitting. lol

pietro
02-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Last time I was on the Greybeard site my computer got infected, about two months ago.

Yep - Why I only go there from my local Public Library's 'puter. :D

Goatwhiskers
02-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Not gun related but my Avast notifies me of blocking a malicious site almost every time I visit GBO. GW

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-03-2014, 07:31 PM
I think a lot of GB site issues are the harassing unrelenting advertisements that triple the load time for a page.
I guess you can make that go away if you give them money

Tatume
02-04-2014, 04:47 PM
I've tried several times to join the Grey Beard group, and every time they tell me it has to be approved by an administrator. I wait and wait, no approval.

tacklebury
02-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Hmm, don't have those issues. I keep my avast up to date and have yet to get a hit there. I do get some pop-ups, but I never click on them, but rather right click them in the task bar and kill the process. Works much better and if you don't touch the pop-up, you cannot get the virus typically. May be why I don't have the issue. As to the administrator part, I've never heard of the problem. We have had about 20-30 new signups recently with no issue. Maybe your name is like someone he doesn't like? I'll mention it to Tim (Moderator). ;)

tacklebury
02-04-2014, 06:37 PM
@Tatume, Tim stated there is a user registered there with your username with no Posts since Sept. of last year. Maybe you should go try to log in again. He stated they have to do the admin approvals due to bots and trolls using multiple names. Hopefully, you can get in. 8)