PDA

View Full Version : question about savage model 30 favorite

lawboy
01-31-2014, 05:30 PM
I spied one on the used rack at LGS today. Front sight post was broken off of base but otherwise looked 98%. Then I pulled hammer to half cock and lowered the lever to drop the block. As the extractor/ejector snapped back, the hammer snapped forward. I thought that odd but I do not know the manual of arms for these rifles. I raised the lever, pulled hammer to full cock, then lowered the lever again. Same result. As extractor/ejector snapped back the hammer snapped forward. Is this normal or is something wrong?
I am interested in the rifle but I need to know what I would be buying so I can negotiate price. They have it tagged at $220. I need to know what to offer based on what work it may need to be put right. Thanks everyone for any assistance.

BCRider
02-01-2014, 05:15 AM
That's not right at all. Something inside is broken or there's a piece of stuff that got inside and it's causing the trigger to drop. Maybe they stuck the broken sight blade in there for safe keeping? :D

I know from working on my own Favourite and other similar boy's rifles that there's nothing really bad that would break and cause this to happen. So it's more than likely that there's something foreign in the gun's action which is kicking at the trigger when you move the lever.

If you're interested work them down based on this not being right along with the broken front sight and see if you can pick it up for cheap.

lawboy
02-01-2014, 07:55 AM
That's not right at all. Something inside is broken or there's a piece of stuff that got inside and it's causing the trigger to drop. Maybe they stuck the broken sight blade in there for safe keeping? :D

I know from working on my own Favourite and other similar boy's rifles that there's nothing really bad that would break and cause this to happen. So it's more than likely that there's something foreign in the gun's action which is kicking at the trigger when you move the lever.

If you're interested work them down based on this not being right along with the broken front sight and see if you can pick it up for cheap.

BCRider, thanks. I figured something was wrong. I may go see what they will do on it.

uscra112
02-02-2014, 04:52 AM
Work them down a lot. The link should hold the hammer back until you close the action.

If you leave the hammer down, working the lever should push it back, and leave it on half-cock when you close the action. It is not necessary to half-cock the hammer to work the action.

Reg
02-02-2014, 05:41 AM
Work them down a lot. The link should hold the hammer back until you close the action.

If you leave the hammer down, working the lever should push it back, and leave it on half-cock when you close the action. It is not necessary to half-cock the hammer to work the action.

uscra112 is right on. Also. Note the action fires with a inertia type firing pin system. If everything is just not EXACTLY PERFECTLY right on. it either will not fire or again it might .
This rifle was not one of the better ideas the company ever came out with.