PDA

View Full Version : Big Thanks to the ES PC gun recomendations

BIGRED
01-31-2014, 04:36 PM
]I have followed these different methods of applying PC paint. Dry tumbling worked well enough for me to shoot.... but i tend to be a perfectionist. i have been hearing Bangerjim rant and rant saying PC gun is the best and easiest. well he's right... i bought the HF gun last night and put it together without the instructions, put an inch of powder in the cup screwed it on and set my air pressure to 25 psi. regular tin foil (no nonstick yet) grounded the foil and stood bullets on their bottoms. sprayed and baked for 15 min in a convection toaster oven and wow......... perfectly coated bullets 1 spray. honestly easier and less time consuming than 3 dry coats and 3 bakes.
Thanks Again for the guidance, worth the $50 for the gun.

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o641/demersii/IMG_20140130_202646710_HDR_zps3996576c.jpg (http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/demersii/media/IMG_20140130_202646710_HDR_zps3996576c.jpg.html)

RP
01-31-2014, 05:03 PM
I also tried tumbling the bullets in the powder they did work ok but really did not like the finish. So I got the gun and love the results I find myself casting so I can coat them lol.

el34
01-31-2014, 05:58 PM
You'll like the non-stick foil, it solves another small hassle. Well, unless you like really thin aluminum gas checks.

Faret
01-31-2014, 06:44 PM
There are basically 3 settings to adjust with the gun. Where is everybody setting them at? 1 the air pressure. 2 the flow control knob on the air line by the handle. 3 the screw adjustment under the powder jar.

bangerjim
01-31-2014, 09:01 PM
BWAAAAAAA......HAAAAAAA........HAAAAAAA! It is all coming together nicely!

Gad to hear you are happy! I really love the ESPC method.

Keep the faith!

banger

BIGRED
01-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Just got to figure out a jig or something. Bases are fine for pistol but the rifle boolits want to tip over sometimes. I also am having a little issue with the amount of paint on the boolits in the middle of tray setup. Not enough paint sometimes and hard to get gun nozzle close enough. I need to read instructions and fine tune the adjustments.

BIGRED
02-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Couple notes from today's coating. 20 psi for me works very well. NEVER PUT YOUR HAND IN FRONT OF THE GUN TO CHECK FLOW!!! bzzzzzzt lit me up good. yellow is not as good as red for coverage.taking the diffuser off coats much better.
non stick aluminum foil is the Shizz. Lee sizer is getting a little sticky, had to run a brush in it a few times. To help keep paint chips out of sizer, i put 100 bullets in a PB jar. Shook them for 20 seconds then ran bullets through sizer. It knocked off most of the paint around bases that flairs out.

Faret
02-01-2014, 08:43 PM
I screwed up my adjustment under the bottle. Can somebody carefully count the turns in for me?

slim1836
02-01-2014, 09:28 PM

I sure do like mine. Congrats and enjoy.

Slim

Floydster
02-03-2014, 10:05 PM
I haven't used my HF gun yet, isn't the screw adjustment under the jar set at the factory?.
Thanks for info.

smokesahoy
02-05-2014, 10:53 PM
I just casted some today to try out the new espc gun. I have a problem though. I always forget to turn the es clip on. I remember to push the pedal but forget to power on the unit. I'm so dense. In redoing them all now, should be done in 10 mins.

Well gonna go check on them. I hated dealing with lubes, hope this fixes my issues. In sure it will though I already tested my learning curve batch and they seem great. Next coat should make them perfect.

Beagle333
02-05-2014, 11:00 PM
I remember to push the pedal but forget to power on the unit. Man, I'm glad I've never done that!!! [smilie=1:

smokesahoy
02-05-2014, 11:24 PM
well thanks everyone, based on your experience i went straight to this method and it's awesome. i have these little trays that space the bullets perfectly, 100 at a time but unfortunately they are a tad too close, but even so the coverage was sufficient to keep my nail from scratching any part of the bullet. the base where it has total coverage is amazing, my next batch will be either in a larger tray or skipping slots.

I bought a cooking network convection oven today and it is working good, but online reviews tell me i will probably need another in a few months lol.

Anyhow, I got 12 inches of snow today, I pulled the tray of 200, 200 grain bullets out and tried to keep it from flexing too much, then walked out the basement and laid it in the snow, and sprinkled more over the top. They are near the furnace now drying out, I cant wait to load some up. I mixed 2 parts hf black 1 part white, one part red.. i couldnt make up my mind and was curious what the color would be.. it's dark purple. but more importantly, it's hard as hell, a perfect candy coating. (what I find even more amazing is where the coverage is spotty it still resists my nail completely)

next thing is getting a box to do the coating in, man if you dont power on the unit the cloud goes everywhere! lol

i just put one on the concrete basement floor, and took the hammer side of my splitting maul to it. opened up to the size of a quarter, i picked it up and it was hot from being smashed lol, but the coating is intact.

the search is over, thanks again