PDA

View Full Version : Crayons in mix

Teddy (punchie)
01-31-2014, 02:50 PM
Opinions on mixing crayons in a mix for lube? Bad or good idea, and what to mix with it?

I was thinking 1 part petroleum jelly, 1 part crayons? To start and see what it looks like.

Back to cleaning up after little children and broken crayrons even day, that need to be cleaned up.

Beagle333
01-31-2014, 03:11 PM
I think you can use crayons and petro jelly for low speed pistol stuff. I have read about that but never done it. I just use it for tint on my other lubes. The problem I encountered with using much of it in the lube was that not all crayons are even made of wax these days. They are made from all kinds of stuff.... some are even plastic.

Hardcast416taylor
01-31-2014, 03:45 PM
If I remember the formula for Saeco Green lube it was 1 part vasoline, 1 part beeswax, 1 part paraffin wax and 1 or 2 dark green Crayola crayons for color. The hardness of this lube can be controlled by using less paraffin wax for a softer lube. If I quoted this incorrectly then I`m sure someone will tell me my error.Robert

lancem
01-31-2014, 04:09 PM
I always thought the crayons were just for color???

buggybuilder
01-31-2014, 04:45 PM
I mixed a small amount of crayons in my lube and ruined it all !!! I pan lube. The crayon settles to the bottom of the lube pan and the "push thru" removal of the cast bullet is not a pleasant task at all. A real sticky mess. I would not recommend it.

DRNurse1
01-31-2014, 05:18 PM
I think you can use crayons and petro jelly for low speed pistol stuff. I have read about that but never done it. I just use it for tint on my other lubes. The problem I encountered with using much of it in the lube was that not all crayons are even made of wax these days. They are made from all kinds of stuff.... some are even plastic.

I agree, Crayola Brand, and only for color. I would love to use all the scrap crayons accumulated over the years but I do not trust the base material in the generic stuff though I have heard that some of the Chinese ones can be cast into fine boolits. :-)

BTW I live in Eastern Pennsylvania near the Crayola Museum....but was not always the case and this is not and ad for Crayola.

felix
01-31-2014, 05:31 PM
I would not recommend it.

Agree! No tellin' what is in the crayons today. Michaels' store has color cubes for home made candles, so use that instead. Still go lightly, just in case the color they use is not kosher for one or more lube constituents. ... felix

357maximum
01-31-2014, 09:44 PM
SOME crayons have fine clay in them...clay as in dirt, as in silicates and other fine abrasives......you decide what you want travelin down your bore. I know how I feel about it....I know what clay does when pushed through steel with pressure...it makes the hole bigger eventually............I will keep the clay for pottery personally.

retread
01-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Felix, I looked on Michael's website but could not find anything under 'color cubes' or anything else. Like your suggestion but am at a standstill as far as finding some.

Jay

tomme boy
01-31-2014, 11:57 PM
Wouldn't the packages of Rit dye at Walmart work better? it is liquid.

Hardcast416taylor
02-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Wouldn't the packages of Rit dye at Walmart work better? it is liquid.

I wouldn`t use Rit dye for anything other than fabric or some other material. Try Google for candle making supplies for the color blocks and cubes.Robert

44man
02-01-2014, 01:20 PM
WHY? Color? Just what does a color do? S&$* brindle brown is not worse then bright red. You want blue or red, hey how about ***** pink?
The boolit is hidden in the brass and the barrel or the deer can't see it.
I lube my car with a good lube and a red one is not better at all.
You use a crayon for color to only ruin a good lube.
I want a nice, natural beeswax color, my boolits do not shoot better if purple.

cbrick
02-01-2014, 02:00 PM
WHY? Color? Just what does a color do? S&$* brindle brown is not worse then bright red. You want blue or red, hey how about ***** pink?
The boolit is hidden in the brass and the barrel or the deer can't see it.
I lube my car with a good lube and a red one is not better at all.
You use a crayon for color to only ruin a good lube.
I want a nice, natural beeswax color, my boolits do not shoot better if purple.

I've colored some of the lubes I've made, use candle dye from a candle making place & very little goes a very long way.

Now Jim wants to know why. Very simple Jim, one reason and one reason only . . . Lube identification so I can tell one from the others while they are stored.

Rick

Hardcast416taylor
02-01-2014, 02:40 PM
I thought everybody knew that red lube colored bullets fly faster than other colors, and everybody knows that green colored lubes are more accurate than other colors. Neutral colored lubes barely let the boolet get out the end of the barrel since they swell so much during the passage down the barrel.Robert

357maximum
02-01-2014, 04:27 PM
search..

YALEY brand candle dye blocks.

....RIT is waterbased...food coloring is waterbased...neither will do anything besides make a mess (oil and water do not miz without special treatment). Also steer clear of the flourescent YALEY candle dye...the flo. pigment just settles out while cooling.

Only reason to color a lube is for I.D purposes......I have actually tried it...RED does not make the boolit go faster. :lol:

Just remember your color wheel from kindergarten art class....when you are coloring a naturally yellow lube....blue makes green, red makes orange, etc..........unless you use a high% of color block.

btroj
02-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Jim, it is done to help identify a specific lube and because it is cool!

One can never underestimate the cool factor.

44man
02-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Ok---cool!

winchester 71
02-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Most important reason to color lube..................when using white label 2500 lube in Ranch Dog 170 30 cal bullets it is almost clear.......................you can't see lube coverage or a thin spots, sorting is another logical reason when winter casting for the warmer times as baking in July trying to cast up some bullets is illogical when bullet making during the off season makes more sense.......

dmize
02-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Pretty simple for me. I have several identical looking bullets used in several different guns at different hardness. White Label Carnuba Red=water dropped ww . Home made purple=air cooled 70/30.

Good Cheer
02-08-2014, 01:20 PM
I id by colors and sometimes odor depending upon what was on hand at the time.