PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Gunsafes?

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Howdy all!

My new job/employer does not restrict guns, so since I have a ccw, and reciprocal privileges with most of the states we operate in ... with the occasional trip to or through the states of CA & IL which do not honor my ccw ... I want to stay legal ... and I know you are not lawyers ...

Since I drive a semi-truck, I do not have a trunk, but I do have a side box that is locked, but with a lot of hassle it could be accessed from inside the truck sleeper by lifting up the bed ... there is lots of stuff under there that is "unmoveable, and in the way" such as the computer for QUALCOMM communication, espar heater and stuff ...

What I'm thinking of ... is I know that the Federal law allows a person to travel through an un-friendly gun state if the gun is empty and locked in the trunk, and if I remember correctly, there are exceptions for suv type vehicles ... and I would prefer to have it in the climate controlled portion of the sleeper/cab area. I also recall that some states require that the ammo be locked up separately (can anybody point out those states?)

So my question is who makes a good vehicle "safe" (more like lock box!)?

What about just a locking gun case, that is locked to the vehicle?

Something like this that I can put a padlock on, then use a bicycle lock to strap it to the truck, (I can't drill holes in my bosses 2013 truck!) but much smaller:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/28B66590-E8D0-4A1B-B86B-D7110059E848_zpsfdxf9vdd.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/ShawnTVT/media/Guns/28B66590-E8D0-4A1B-B86B-D7110059E848_zpsfdxf9vdd.jpg.html)

bhn22
01-31-2014, 10:50 AM
I seem to remember where some states have laws against "concealed compartments" in vehicles. Something to do with smuggling. I'd suggest you research that angle to be safe.

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-31-2014, 11:35 AM
I don't need it concealed, just locked ... Of course I don't want it in the window!

shaune509
01-31-2014, 07:37 PM
Shawn if you drive solo I would think that the locked case secured in the sleeper area as far from your drivers seat "should be OK". You would need to stop the truck, enter sleeper and unlock the case from the lugage rail and then unlock the case, not in easy access. Check all laws of the states you go thru as some do not allow commercial rig to have weapons.
Shaune509

DRNurse1
01-31-2014, 07:52 PM
Worst case private transport scenario I encounter is needing 3 locked boxes: NJ declares the receiver, ammunition, and magazines as separate components and needing separate locked boxes as near as I can translate the legalese. The best answer is to get legal advice BEFORE you need it pertaining to your unique transport situation.

I have not had a recent encounter but have written letters to NY and NJ State police for clarification of the federal version of "firearm and ammunition in separate locked containers not accessible from the drivers position." An event 15 or so years ago in NY state has caused me to transport with extra caution: my carry pistol was confiscated (but eventually returned) but my competition firearms were not. The difference was the carry gun was federally-legal (IMHO) in the cab but I had a commercial drivers license and the competition guns were in the slide on camper (read: "home"). My non-legal opinion is that the federal process/ law should trump the state and local overreach, but that is not a discussion I care to have with the local LEO's at the side of the road now nor on that occasion.

There is an interesting series called "Emily gets her gun" which includes her efforts to transport her personal firearm legally. If you fall under the ICC, you should refer to decisions they have made affecting commercial carriers. I do not know if revolvers an pistols are treated in a similar fashion, and am fairly certain speed loaders and magazines need to be empty during transport. There are special rules inNJ for ammunition: need to have the correct firearm for the ammunition as I read the rules. Me thinks a hard a$$ LEO could see the 22 short ammunition as the improper ammunition for the 22LR firearm...so you can see the problems that can morph from an encounter.

MtGun44
01-31-2014, 11:48 PM
I take every opportunity to stay out of MA, NY and especially NJ. Those people
are insane and I do not put myself in the control of insane people.

I suppose in your job that isn't practical, and I do understand your good faith effort
to stay legal. Too bad there isn't a complimentary good faith effort on the part
of these states to honor your 2nd Amendment and federal legal rights.

Bill

Jammersix
02-01-2014, 03:09 AM
I would pay a lawyer for a real answer. It's too important to follow advice from the internet.

Ramar
02-01-2014, 08:32 AM
All my firearm questions pertaining to a particular state, I have found, are best directed to the attorneys general of that state. Most questions are answered there, but some attorneys general's office will refer you to the state troopers division as in NJ.

Most Lawyers have no idea of the transportation laws about firearms in their own state; and knowledge of other states' laws would seem to be less. They do have the capability to research and charge you accordingly.
Ramar

DCP
02-01-2014, 09:16 AM
This is what I settled on.

http://www.consolevault.com/

square butte
02-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Plus 1 on the consolevault

DRNurse1
02-01-2014, 10:54 AM
++1 on legal consultation. The console vault is fine if your CCW allows you to carry in that state. I like that it is not obviously a safe ans can accommodate more than your firearm.

Remember the goofy regulation about separating the firearm and ammunition as this may not meet that level of separation. And, if in NJ, the empty magazine in the receiver constitutes a "loaded" firearm. So, as I posted above, three inaccessible locked compartments are needed. That brings us back to legal advice for your particular situation.

Petrol & Powder
02-01-2014, 11:08 AM
I would pay a lawyer for a real answer. It's too important to follow advise from the internet.

Probably the best advice followed by Ramar's suggestion of contacting the AG's office in the states in question. The opinion of the Attorney General is just that, ...An Opinion. It doesn't carry the force of law but is probably as close to reality as one can get without changing your title to "Defendant".

That being said. I would think a strong lockable portable container, such as a pad-locked Pelican case that is in turn cable locked to the vehicle; would comply with most states requirements. You could use two padlocks keyed alike, one for the cable and the other for the case. Unloaded gun goes without saying and a cable lock though the open action couldn't hurt. Most concealed weapon laws deal with some component of accessibility to the weapon. I think the advice of placing the locked container as far from the driver's reach as possible (such as the sleeper compartment) would thwart all but the most zealous anti-gun prosecutors. However the goal is not to test the law by acquiring the title of defendant, the goal is to comply with the law; so I would get good counsel first.

DCP
02-01-2014, 11:50 AM
If you have to pay a Lawyer $300 to $500 to get answer to your state laws. Your state SUCKS and it would still only be an Opinion. Your State Attorney (or equivalent)should have all the answers you need. Also get it in writing

I do have to ask, if a empty mag in a Semi Auto is consider loaded. (This is one of dumbest thing I have ever heard.)
Surely a Revolver with the empty cylinder has to be loaded also.

Why does everything have to be made all ***** up ?

The sky is falling The sky is falling The sky is falling The sky is falling

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Maybe I'll just stick with my cane (made out of 1/2" black iron pipe) and pepper spray!

"Shall not infringe" seems to be lost ...

gtgeorge
02-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Most definitely need legal council on this one. If I remember correctly there are also laws pertaining to type of ammunition allowed in any given state as well although may be city. If I am not mistaken NJ doesn't allow hollow points?

lka
02-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Here in ca it's fine, just don't have it loaded and don't have the bullets/mag in the same locked box,

bhn22
02-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Worst case private transport scenario I encounter is needing 3 locked boxes: NJ declares the receiver, ammunition, and magazines as separate components and needing separate locked boxes as near as I can translate the legalese. The best answer is to get legal advice BEFORE you need it pertaining to your unique transport situation.

Wow! Stay away from New Jerksey.