PDA

View Full Version : Defective Lee mold

doc25
12-10-2007, 08:34 PM
OK guys I just got a defective Lee mold and want to know what to do with it? The mold is the CTL312-160-2r so if anyone has experience please let me know. The symptoms ...
I followed the instructions that came with the mold.

1) It took about 3-4 boolits to get a good one.
2) Boolits dropped right out of mold.
3) The boolits that dropped out of mold looked like the ones are supposed to.
4) I did not need to Lee-ment it.
5) Did I say the boolits dropped right out of the mold?

So what do I do now?
Do I ...

1) Cut that puppy up with the plasma cutter and bury it, then delete this thread?
2) Do I tell Lee they finally made a good one?
3) Do I stop drinking and 'doin crack?
4) Do I assume Lymann bought Lee and never told anyone?

If none of the are appropriate can anyone give me some suggestions as to what to do with the defective mold?

Castinoff
12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
I believe I would just.....................use it.

45nut
12-10-2007, 09:08 PM
ya dun sumtin' wrong boy, ship it on out me me an i'll whup it inter shaper fer ya.

waksupi
12-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Obviously slipped by Lee's quality control. Send it back, and they will send you one of the standard unusable ones.

crowbeaner
12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
I found one of those QC slipups this past summer. It was the 1 oz. slug mould. It dropped good slugs from the getgo. I didn't know what to do so I cast up a 3# coffee can full. The second batch dropped free of the mould too. I called the guy that loaned it to me and told him to come and get it. I gave him around 10 lbs. of slugs for his trouble. I hope I don't get any more like that. I was SOOO confused. CB.

MT Gianni
12-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Don't use any bull plate lube on it, loosen the sprue plate screw, get a screw driver or 16 penny nail and add some vent lines top and sides. Take an exacto knife and score the cavitys. We all need the practice. Gianni

fatnhappy
12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
lend it to someone.

StrawHat
12-14-2007, 07:38 AM
With a problem mold of that sort a large casting mallet, say a 10# sledge, often helps.

As my Pop used to say "If it ain't broke, get a bigger hammer"

WKAYE
12-14-2007, 10:03 AM
For inspiration see the "Why would someone do this " thread. :mrgreen:

doc25
12-14-2007, 07:03 PM
For inspiration see the "Why would someone do this " thread. :mrgreen:

I think you're on to something here! Everyone needs a 280gr wadcutter for their sks :mrgreen:.

windyhill
12-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Ihave been using lee molds for years, I have some of the six cavity mold that i have run at least 80,000 bullets from,, I do a bit of work before i use them,, I pin all the the spur plate bolt and the bolt the spur plate butts up against,, and when I' using the mold I keep the pins lubed and the spur plate.. It keeps them as good as new.. Good Casting Denny

brshooter
12-14-2007, 08:43 PM
I wonder if you screwed up. Are you sure it isn't a Ballistic-cast mold in drag. No Lee mold acts like that on the first go, you have to be smoking that funny tabacky..........

Unter
12-15-2007, 07:08 PM
The three 6 cavity molds I have were just as bad as yours Doc, I'm not using them again until I have to cast more boolets.

largecaliberman
12-16-2007, 02:45 AM
OK guys I just got a defective Lee mold and want to know what to do with it? The mold is the CTL312-160-2r so if anyone has experience please let me know. The symptoms ...
I followed the instructions that came with the mold.

1) It took about 3-4 boolits to get a good one.
2) Boolits dropped right out of mold.
3) The boolits that dropped out of mold looked like the ones are supposed to.
4) I did not need to Lee-ment it.
5) Did I say the boolits dropped right out of the mold?

So what do I do now?
Do I ...

1) Cut that puppy up with the plasma cutter and bury it, then delete this thread?
2) Do I tell Lee they finally made a good one?
3) Do I stop drinking and 'doin crack?
4) Do I assume Lymann bought Lee and never told anyone?

If none of the are appropriate can anyone give me some suggestions as to what to do with the defective mold?

Sell it on ebay:-D:-D:-D