PDA

View Full Version : A question on the Ruger New Vaquero internal lock - I'm puzzled?

bedbugbilly
01-30-2014, 11:01 PM
In July of 2010, I purchased a new Ruger New Vaquero - blued - 5 1/2" barrel - .357. I love it and it's a great shooter. I never liked the factory grips so today, I switched them out for a set of Eagle "gunfighter" smooth rosewood grips that I picked up used but they are like new. In switching them, I discovered that my revolver has an "internal lock" in the grip frame. Not that I object at all - I just would never use it as there's no reason for me to. I'm just a little puzzled over it though. No key was included with the handgun when I received it from the dealer and the grip stock grip is not drilled for a key access.

The serial number is 510-90XX. I'm sure this came to the dealer from a distributor but it had to be fairly fresh from the factory in 2010 when I got it.

I've seen mention on the new NV having an internal lock - I'm just sort of puzzled why one was put in but no key included or the grip drilled so that you had access to the lock if desired? It did come with the typical "Ruger bicycle lock" if I remember correctly.

So what gives on why it is set up this way? Anyone know for sure?

Again, I'm not complaining about it or criticizing Ruger in any way - I have a number of Rugers and love 'em all. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

MTtimberline
01-30-2014, 11:35 PM
I believe that Ruger put the lock in the New Model to simply satisfied the laws and sell their firearms in some states that require them. They did hide it nicely behind the grips. The key had a screwdriver blade to remove the grip panels to access it and there was a spot on the grip the can be drilled out to access it from the outside if anyone would want to do such a thing. I have never heard of the lock failing so it can be easily ignored. I think that the birdshead models did not have a lock.

contender1
01-30-2014, 11:37 PM
Usually the "key" was in a bag, stapled to the inside of the owners manual. Some were just put in the boxes though. Look through your stuff.
NONE of the grips came "pre-drilled" for the key hole. I have not seen a single Ruger that has the lock where someone has drilled the grip.
I'm a serious Ruger collector, and I can say that if you need a key, Ruger will supply you with one with just a phone call.

Also, many of the models that used to have the locks, have been discontinued. But you can still find them.
Luckily, the locking mechanism as it is, does not interfere with the operation of the firearm at all if it's never used. Some of the other company's out there have had "issues" with their lock designs.

bedbugbilly
01-31-2014, 12:31 AM
Thanks fellas - appreciate the information. I also have never seen a NV with the grip drilled. Not a big issue with me as I'll never use it but was curious. I suppose it's like most things - if a state has a requirement - it's probably cheaper to put it in and not have to keep track of different inventory.

I have had Rugers for years - I have always loved them - well built and rugged. I can honestly say that I have never had an issue with any of then nor have I had to contact them in regards to having service work done - but I know that they have an excellent reputation for good service and it's nice to know that if you do need it, it's there.

contender1 - I know for a fact that there wasn't a key with the one I purchased - but - the dealer had it for a couple of days before I could get there to pick it up and I know it was shown to others as they got several additional orders from those that looked at it. Who knows - it probably got lost in the shuffle somewhere during that time. I'll never need it so not much use of getting a replacement.

Thanks again - info greatly appreciated!

junkpile
01-31-2014, 11:36 AM
I thought Ruger's lock solution was a great one. Totally hidden in the grip, rather than a tumbler on the frame or something like that. And if you really don't like it, you can remove it entirely. I would think that if you give Ruger a call and let them know your revolver came without a key, they will probably just send one to you.