PDA

View Full Version : Parts for a lyman #45 luber

hotwheelz
12-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Does any one know where I can get parts for a lyman #45 luber? I bought one off of flea bay that I was going to give to a freind but this one needs some parts I was on the lyman web site today and they dont show any parts for them any help would be appeciated. Here are the parts Im looking for.

John Boy
12-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Call Lyman Customer Service and ask them if any 45 parts are interchangeable with the 450. Looking at your parts picture - don't have a clue what they are.

Always could have a machinist make the parts too

hotwheelz
12-11-2007, 11:42 PM
I got an email from them today and they said the only parts they have is the pressure screw. The parts I need are marked in this picture

montana_charlie
12-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I don't think those rods are hardened, or special-treated in any other way.
Therefore, it should be easy to make new ones, if they are a standard rod diameter.

If they are hardened (and you can tell by trying a file on one) then it gets more complicated...but can be done.

To find a pair available as 'replacement parts' would be a most fortunate stroke of luck, the odds of which are quite small.
CM

floodgate
12-12-2007, 02:03 PM
hotwheelz:

Those are just plain steel rods, and I think they are 1 standard 1/4" in diameter. My shop is locked up (I'm just leaving for a trip to the City) and my No. 45's are stashed away just now. If so, you can make them from the rod stock availbabe in any hardware store - the un-plater would be best. They will need grooves filed near the lower ends for the clampping thumb-nuts that hold the bottom bar (if these are gone, Allen setscrews will work). The upper ends need to be turned down a short distance and threaded for the nuts; I don;t know the diameter or thread, but that should be easy work, even with hand tools (a hacksaw, files and a tap-and-die set or a hardware store threading die).

floodgate

mtgrs737
12-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Are you wanting the new rods because the old ones are bent? If so, have you tried straightening them? all you would need is a couple of V-blocks that you could make from wood and a hammer and a good eye. If it doesn't work what would you be out?

hotwheelz
12-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I talked with one of the machinist at work today said hell have them done by fri. for free. I might have talked him into making a couple extras just incase. Does anyone know when they quit making them???

imashooter2
12-12-2007, 11:13 PM
They stopped making that press 40 years ago.

creekwalker
12-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Numrich's... http://www.e-gunparts.com/ sometimes has parts for out of production loading equipment. Most people I've talked with tend to repair the broken part or build a replacement themselves though. The Lyman 45 may be old, but it still gets the job done.

creekwalker

redbear705
12-14-2007, 12:39 AM
I have a couple of Lyman 45 Lubers and neither one looks like that.....whats the story?

JR

imashooter2
12-14-2007, 12:50 AM
I have a couple of Lyman 45 Lubers and neither one looks like that.....whats the story?

JR

I've got three and they all look like that. You sure you don't have a 450?

http://www.realguns.com/images/450sizercrpttftpg.jpg