PDA

View Full Version : Cool video.

canthitsquat
01-30-2014, 10:43 PM
http://www.flixxy.com/pilots-view-of-airbus-a380-approach-and-landing-at-san-francisco.htm

xs11jack
01-31-2014, 12:34 AM
Great Video, thanks.
Ole Jack

Bad Water Bill
01-31-2014, 04:03 AM
That was outstanding.

Thanks for posting.

Teddy (punchie)
01-31-2014, 04:48 AM
Thanks!!

Very interesting !!

BDJ
01-31-2014, 07:38 AM
That was a swell video, thanks for posting it.

white eagle
01-31-2014, 09:52 AM
That was very interesting
lots of people involved in that operation

Reaper
01-31-2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks. Forwarded to my pilot friends.

snuffy
01-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Notice how the "so called" pilots didn't actually fly the plane? Dial in a course, the computer flys to the new heading. Called on to slow down, the auto throttle does that. Glide slope from the runway tells the computer where the plane should be, it adjusts to compensate if needed.

Then the Asian airline pilots have to manually land where they'd never landed before with the glide slop down for maintenance. Busted up/burned airplane and dead people.

MtGun44
01-31-2014, 11:34 PM
Actually, they shut off the autothrottles at about 4000 ft and then shut off the autopilot. That
was a hand landing. They did fly the vectors with the autopilot, pretty normal stuff. Great crew
coordination, excellent professionalism in the German cockpit, as expected.

As said, the Asiana pilots were fools that couldn't make a manual landing.

Bill

Artful
01-31-2014, 11:51 PM
wunderbar - thanks for the link

Isaac
02-01-2014, 05:19 AM
Very nice. Thanks.

I knew nothing about what went on in a cockpit. Very informative.

Isaac

snuffy
02-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Actually, they shut off the autothrottles at about 4000 ft and then shut off the autopilot. That
was a hand landing. They did fly the vectors with the autopilot, pretty normal stuff. Great crew
coordination, excellent professionalism in the German cockpit, as expected.

As said, the Asiana pilots were fools that couldn't make a manual landing.

Bill

Bill, my point is that now very little actual flying is done . By that I mean "seat-of-the-pants, hands on flying". Like is done in small light airplanes, like what everybody recognizes a Cessna or piper.

My first ride in a jet plane was on my way to San Antonio for basic training at Lackland AFB. It was a Boeing 707, I was thrilled to be in a "modern" jet plane, but already homesick, first time away from home(10-20-65). Those jet jockeys only had an auto pilot that would maintain altitude/attitude, and keep the wings level.

Is the airbus a marvel of modern engineering and the use of computers? Of course it is. It's just that I remember the old days, not necessarily the "good old days".

Bad Water Bill
02-01-2014, 01:58 PM
I was flight crew at N A S Glenview 59-62 and watched real pilots fly and train for many situations.

I still remember when the pilot quietly turned off the fuel transfer pump. All 4 engines shut down somewhere in the Rockies. Yes the co pilot and crew jumped to action on that flight. Nothing like just wind noise while looking down at a mountain top in the middle of winter.

I would like to know how many hundreds of hours that flight crew spends each year in simulators just in case the puters puke.

I never have flown in a plane without at least one backup engine.

My smallest ride was a DC-3 BUT that is ANOTHER story.

Things sure have changed over the last 50 years or so.

WILCO
02-01-2014, 05:58 PM
That was outstanding.

Thanks for posting.

Ditto for me.