PDA

View Full Version : gas check vs no gas check test

jsam
01-30-2014, 09:43 PM
Today I tested some 30-30 ammo in my Ruger #1.
This test proves nothing. I just wanted to see what would happen and thought some people here might be interested in my results.

I wanted to see the results of using gas checks vs no gas checks and the difference in using LLA unsized bullets without gas checks vs sized with no gas checks. All bullets were from the same casting session. All ammo was loaded the same day. Bullets were not weighed or sorted just visually inspected before lubing.

All shots were 5 shot groups 100 yards off bench rest. 43 degrees se wind 10 mph

Rifle is a Ruger #1 30-30 with a Hart stainless barrel. 6X24 BSA platinum scope.

Saeco 316 with gas check sized .3095 lubed with carnuba red
6.5 grains Promo
win. lg. rifle primer

4 groups avg. 1.6 inches

vel. avg. 1158fps
es 66
sd 14

Saeco 316 unsized lubed with LLA
6.5 Promo
win lg. rifle primer

4 groups avg. 1.9 inches

vel. avg. 1239
es 60
sd 10

Saeco 316 sized .3095 lubed with carnuba red .no gas check
6.5 Promo
win. lg. rifle primer

3 groups ( one group had shooter error so I did not use it ) avg. 2.0 inches
vel.avg. 1129
es 53
sd 13

ButterNutZ
01-31-2014, 12:02 AM
Good work jsam. I wonder why the velocity figure is that much higher on Alox unsized bullets. Is that because fatter bullet created more resistance and bummed up the pressure? Or maybe alox is not as slick creating more friction and raising the pressure?
How did you feel about the groups? I know you posted that checked they are a bit tighter, but if you had to pick one over the other which one you would go with?

dilly
01-31-2014, 12:10 AM
It's nice to see someone post just some raw data. You know, take it or leave it, with no assertions, just here is what I found by my experiment. Good work.

jsam
01-31-2014, 01:11 PM
Butternutz, I wont pretend to understand why the velocity figures turned out as they did.
When I load ammo I always think it will shoot 5 shot 1 inch groups average at 100 yards. So far I l have always been disappointed. I have shot SOME 1 inch groups but nothing that will average 1 inch or less every time. I thought these groups were good not great. My primary goal is to shoot ,have fun, and possibly learn something along the way. With this bullet and powder I wont spend the extra money or time to use gas checks. LLA is faster and easier so for fun off hand shooting I find it good enough.
There are so many possible combinations of bullets and powders for this rifle I will probably never stop trying different things. Perhaps some day I will find the perfect combination. I hope it takes years and thousands of rounds of ammo because the journey is more fun that arriving to the destination.

grouch
01-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Don't worry, no one to date has found the perfect combination. You'll be a long time arriving. Sounds like you've got a fine rifle to do it with. Best of luck.
If it was me, I'd try some other powders(about 14 - 16gr of H110 or2400 to start) and look for good information on bedding.
Grouch

popper
01-31-2014, 03:36 PM
jsam - I'm getting about 1.5x0.9"@50 in a 336 ~15-1600 fps, 16 gr. 2400 with filler. No check on a Accurate 31-165 that has a single groove . Same load, my RD311 multi-groove didn't do very well w/o GC but about 1" with GC ~2k fps. Cull out any that don't have a well filled rear band.

dhain
01-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Good experiment. I like seeing the raw data.

I was surprised the unsized LLA had a higher velocity.

It would be interesting to repeat the experiment, maybe with another rifle, and see if the velocity difference between sized and unsized was that noticeable and also if the gas checks consistently produced better average groups.

scattershot
02-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the timely info. I'm just starting to experiment with the 30/30 and cast boolits, and plan to use that very load.

Once again, thanks.