PDA

View Full Version : 36 cal c&b revolver troubles

GunnyJohn
01-30-2014, 09:35 PM
I bought a not very used 36 cal C&B revolver. The trouble I'm having is putting the caps on. I'm using the same #11 caps that I use for my rifle. Am I using the wrong caps or is it just the nature of the beast. The revolver is a pietta made in Italy. Also, do I need to loosen or remove the screw to move the bar that allows me to disassemble the piece for cleaning?

Squeeze
01-30-2014, 09:52 PM
It probably just needs new nipples, If they look like they are a bit mushroomed at the end, its probably just from use, but ive seen extreme cases from repeated dry firing. Ive even been known to chuck nipples in a drill (just not by the threads) and use a file/sandpaper to turn them back down. you should be fine with either #10 or #11 caps

CPL Lou
01-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Most foreign made pistols use a #10 cap.

CPL Lou

BCRider
01-31-2014, 06:28 AM
Problem is that the caps from each maker also vary despite having the same number.

You don't say if the caps are hard to seat or are too big and falling off. Since you're using the bigger size I'm going to assume that they are falling off. The standard trick is to pinch the cap to an oval opening to keep it on the nipple. This is hard on the finger tips but it'll work for now. But if you get some #10's from the same maker then they should fit OK. In fact you may have to use a pusher stick like I do to seat them so they fire the first time. Note that when pushing the caps on with the seater stick keep it as safe as practical by keeping the hand holding the gun away from the front of the cylinder. Pressure alone should not make the cap ignite but I'd hate to be the one to find out that this is wrong. It'll be nasty enough with just the unexpected bang and mess if a the chamber at the capping point goes off anyway. You don't need your hand there to add a trip to the hospital to the excitement.

The screw is there to hold the wedge from coming out completely as an aid in avoiding it getting lost. It does not need to come out to remove the barrel.

bob208
01-31-2014, 10:00 AM
try rws caps.

GunnyJohn
01-31-2014, 10:42 AM
Problem is that the caps from each maker also vary despite having the same number.

You don't say if the caps are hard to seat or are too big and falling off. Since you're using the bigger size I'm going to assume that they are falling off. The standard trick is to pinch the cap to an oval opening to keep it on the nipple. This is hard on the finger tips but it'll work for now. But if you get some #10's from the same maker then they should fit OK. In fact you may have to use a pusher stick like I do to seat them so they fire the first time. Note that when pushing the caps on with the seater stick keep it as safe as practical by keeping the hand holding the gun away from the front of the cylinder. Pressure alone should not make the cap ignite but I'd hate to be the one to find out that this is wrong. It'll be nasty enough with just the unexpected bang and mess if a the chamber at the capping point goes off anyway. You don't need your hand there to add a trip to the hospital to the excitement.

The screw is there to hold the wedge from coming out completely as an aid in avoiding it getting lost. It does not need to come out to remove the barrel.

Thanks for the info on the screw. I should have stated, I'm having trouble getting the caps on. To tight. The pusher stick is a good idea. Thanks for the info. Gotta love this site.

GunnyJohn
01-31-2014, 10:46 AM
try rws caps.

I'll look for them. Small town, mostly we have CCI or Remington around here. We just had a new store open up that is dealing mainly in muzzle loaders, just haven't caught him open yet do to my work schedule. Have to check with him.

Hellgate
02-01-2014, 01:32 AM
If you are using #11 CCI caps, try the Remington #11s they are larger than the CCIs. RWS is close to the CCI#11s in size but just a bit. I can't remember if the RWS#1075s atr a scoche larger or smaller. The taper of the nipple cone can determine which cap fits. The Rem#10s are a longer version of the #11s which means they grab farther down on the cone. The Remingtons are pre-split and flare more easily when being seated. They have more "give" as they seat whereas the CCI & RWS are a harder shelled cap that is less forgiving as to what they will fit.

Omnivore
02-02-2014, 02:59 AM
My Piettas like Remington 10s. An 11 being too tight sounds like something is wrong, or the nipples have been replaced. Regardless; there are several possible remedies. You want a fit that allows the cap to slip on easy enough you don't need to force it. That also makes them ignite more reliably because a tighter fit may not let the cap seat all the way, causing the hammer to seat it farther rather than pop it. If they slip on with a little push, always go bang, and never fall off before being fired, then you have the right fit. Otherwise you don't.

If you like to spend money; the Treso Ampco nipples for the Piettas take Remington #10s perfectly.

Captain*Kirk
02-05-2014, 01:19 AM
ALL my BP revolvers like Remington #10's And I have a bunch. The only one they won't fit is my Lyman Plains Pistol single shot.

GunnyJohn
02-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for all of the info. I got some remington 11s and they fit well, and go pop. I'll just use up the CCIs on the rifle. BTW the Rems also seem to seat easier on my rifle.