PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Question

histed
01-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Not sure if this is the right area or not for this question, but here goes. I'm new to cast and I've been reading a lot - here, mostly. I've seen that some have a separate press for using the Lee sizing dies, keeping that separate from the reloading dies. As a beginner, I will likely tumble lube at first, though I am anxious to try some of the pan lubes I've see on here, So, my question is - do I really need a second press? If so, is the cheap Lee press enough to do this? My gut says yes to both questions, but I'm interested in what the experienced crowd has to say

country gent
01-30-2014, 09:42 PM
You can easily use the same press for doing both. Keep in mind that one press means changing over back and forth more but not a real big deal. The lee tunble lube works good for pistol and some rifle loads. Pan lubing opens more lubes to test try. For sizing with lee style die I use the little lee c- frame press. Its small light and the open front allows a lot of hand room. But almost any press will work for this.

pworley1
01-30-2014, 09:44 PM
One press is all you have to have. You will just have to change the dies as you need them. If you decide to use two, the lee press will be fine for sizing. You will soon learn that you always need one more press and one more set of dies no matter how many you have.

Down South
01-30-2014, 10:59 PM
One press will do it.

bangerjim
01-30-2014, 11:19 PM
It is a batch process!

One press.......many dies.

Do one process 50 times, change die, do next one 50 times....etc.

works for thousands of folks!

bangerjim

tg32-20
01-30-2014, 11:20 PM
I have a cheap Lee press, I do not even know the name of it, that I have used for years for sizing.
They are so cheap that there is no reason for not having one or two.
It frees up the other two presses for keeping dies in to reload.

Tom

Jeff H
01-31-2014, 12:13 AM
I've worked with one press for 30+ years - the LEE turret press and it's done everything I have needed from basic reloading, some not too terribly radical case forming to sizing bullets from .22 to .45. I had been working with a bench full of cast iron presses up to that point but after using this one, I realized the others were superfluous clutter.

One day while putting together a mail order a long time ago, I saw a deal on a LEE single stage (O-frame) pres for something like $20 and I added that to the order. That one is bolted to a board so I can use it wherever I want and it's the one I use when I have a big decapping operation or a bunch of bullets to size and I can take it to the basement and stay warm. Having that second press is really just a luxury and if I'd had to pay full price the day I noticed it, I'd probably still be using just one press.

Echo
01-31-2014, 01:10 AM
I believe the Lee presses will handle most any job short of making 8mm brass from 30-06 cases, or any other major reforming operation. I have two presses, a 40+yr-old Rock Chucker and a Lyman Turret that is loaded with 38/357 dies. I also have a couple of Lee presses I planned to use to reload at the range, but I found that the Boss didn't want anyone reloading on the range - maybe a liability issue, he does things without explaining the rationale. So they sit...

mdi
01-31-2014, 12:57 PM
FWIW; I have been using a Lee turret for 16 years and I have a spare turret filled with Lee sizing dies, .358", .431", .433", and .452". I have 3 other presses and if I need to use a different Lee size die I'll use one of them. I use one of them that's dedicated to ram priming, but the turret works well sizing too....

44man
01-31-2014, 01:19 PM
One press does all but I have only one single stage RCBS press mounted to my bench.
I have all kinds of presses to 3 shotgun and case trimmers, neck turners, measure, lube sizer, you name it. My bench is only 5' long. How to do it?
I use a Thompson Tool Mount, comes with one plate so I made plates for all else.
EVERYTHING I have slips in and can be changed in seconds with an Allen wrench.
This is my Lyman turret press. 95174

gray wolf
01-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Simple answer is you don't need two presses, but the boys have explained very well why they may choose to have more than one. So you can see now that you have options.

histed
01-31-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks to all of you. 44man, that looks like a sweet set up! My bench is pretty small also, so that's an option I never knew about. My biggest concern was getting lube built up in the press and having a mess to deal with or contaminated powder/primer/whatever. Looks like I worried about nothing, as usual.

gwpercle
01-31-2014, 08:32 PM
I have one bench press and two Lee Hand Presses. I found the first so handy for doing things I got a second. My bench is 36 "X 36" so bench space is limited. The Hand Press is inexpensive, dosen't need to be mounted to a bench and you can take them into the house to use or to the range. I got a good sized tool box and now have a portable reloading set- up ready to go for rifle and pistol. Stays in the bedroom closet till I want to do some inside reloading.

Gary

mdi
02-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Lube shouldn't be building up on/in the press itself. If anything, the lube usually builds up in the seating die. Lube often is rubbed off the bullet during seating and sticks inside the seating die (sometimes the crimp die) and can cause seating depth variations.

robpete
02-01-2014, 03:57 PM
I use a cheapie Lee press for decapping all cases and for using my Redding glock buldge fixer. My only gripe with it is that the spent primers are flung into the body of the press and it needs to be removed for emptying. My fix was cutting a hole in the side and covering it with masking tape. Sucks that I had to do that, but what can you expect for $26 new?!