PDA

View Full Version : 22 lr ammo and CCI or ATK

shdwlkr
01-30-2014, 07:49 PM
A friend of mine is in Lewiston on business and stopped buy to see if he could get a tour of the facilities there. The short story is no as they have insurance and security issues.
But the interesting part is that the 22 lr lines run 4 shifts a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The plant is turning out 1.3-1.4 million 22lr cartridges a week. Also only 80% of production goes to the public market. So who is sucking up all this ammo?
You still have remington and winchester to throw into the mix even if they are only putting .6-7 million a week to make it a cool 2million total that is still a lot of 22 lr ammo.

Just found this information interesting

imashooter2
01-30-2014, 08:27 PM
This country used over 2 billion rounds of .22LR a year BEFORE Obama was elected, Sandy Hook happened and democrats started talking about bans and taxing ammunition. People love to talk about conspiracy theories, but this whole shortage is simply demand outstripping supply.

lefty o
01-30-2014, 08:49 PM
your information is incorrect. CCI publicly released that they are doing 4 million rnds of 22lr a DAY. i work for the other part of the company, and all i can say is we make even more than they do. there is no shortage of 22LR ammunition, people just need to quit hoarding it.

dragon813gt
01-30-2014, 09:15 PM
3 posts and hoarding was mentioned. Should I be the first to mention gouging or the ancient Chinese dragons?

Doe Run

enfieldphile
01-31-2014, 12:48 AM
The military has ALWAYS bought .22 ammo, nothing new, no secret. Ammo is sold to civilian markets out of the US, again, nothing new, no secret.

AND....

1. There are millions of new gun owners since the Sandy Hook affair, they need ammo. 2. All the rumblings by Barry, Joe-Smoe & Dizzy Fartstein over new gun control got panic buying started. 3. Piece-of-fecal-matter Gougers buying ammo they have zero intention of shooting that keeps shelves bare.

A friend of mine is in Lewiston on business and stopped buy to see if he could get a tour of the facilities there. The short story is no as they have insurance and security issues.
But the interesting part is that the 22 lr lines run 4 shifts a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The plant is turning out 1.3-1.4 million 22lr cartridges a week. Also only 80% of production goes to the public market. So who is sucking up all this ammo?You still have remington and winchester to throw into the mix even if they are only putting .6-7 million a week to make it a cool 2million total that is still a lot of 22 lr ammo.

Just found this information interesting

Love Life
01-31-2014, 01:16 AM
Evil dragons hoarding up all the treasure.

trochilids
01-31-2014, 02:16 AM
there is no shortage of 22LR ammunition, people just need to quit hoarding it.

Doesn't compute. Stores are not receiving stock. If they were getting it and it just wasn't lasting, that could be hoarders. Somehow manufacturers saying, "We're making more than we ever have" and stores saying, "We haven't received anything in 3 months" just doesn't make sense to me. I talked to 3 stores today. None received their order this week. One store said they ordered 1000 (boxes?) -- shippers confirmed they were on the way. It was not included in the shipment they got this morning. The other stores said they never got confirmation that they would get any and were just hoping... I had to laugh when one of the stores told me that it was that increased HazMat shipping charges on the barge out of Seattle (to here in Alaska) that was limiting 22lr shipments. Apparently center-fire ammo follows different HazMat rules (or so the logic goes). The whole 22lr thing is a circus. Good for a laugh if it wasn't so serious.

MTtimberline
01-31-2014, 02:36 AM
All the .22lr is saved for my two daughters that are getting more and more interested in shooting. Running low so I hope it settles soon.

w5pv
01-31-2014, 08:18 AM
your information is incorrect. CCI publicly released that they are doing 4 million rnds of 22lr a DAY. i work for the other part of the company, and all i can say is we make even more than they do. there is no shortage of 22LR ammunition, people just need to quit hoarding it.
Thank you,this what I have been saying for a while if people would stop hoarding and not buy at these elevated price gouging prices there would be plenty ammo at prices we can afford.

blaser.306
01-31-2014, 08:34 AM
I recently talked to an online retailer here in Canada , and he had placed an order for a pallette of 22 lr ammo that he received. Late but received! About a week later the US based supplier that he dealt with contacted him about his order , wondering if he had any of it left as he wanted to buy half of it back from him at his full retail.And that he was told that he would not see any more 22 lr for possibly a year to a year and a half! How can a supply line just dry up entierly if manufacture has never been and a higher level? If it is indeed a problem with hoarding ? where are they all? There has to come a point where even the hoarders become saturated with product, yet it seems that no one has any availability, to hoard?

taiden
01-31-2014, 08:50 AM
Before I write up this post, I hope we can all agree that there has been a huge increase in demand even if we cannot agree on the reasons.

Many people think "if supply is the same, stores should still be getting ammo, since demand only effects the supply line at the stores inventory."

This is fallacious. Before the large demand increase, stores would make less frequent, smaller orders. After the demand increase, every store is making huge orders to try to keep their shelves stocked. The manufacturers now have to fulfill orders for an amount of product far exceeding their manufacturing capacities. As a result, they have to throttle and reallocate their orders to keep as many people happy as possible. At this point, I would say that they prioritize their accounts by order volume. That is to say that places like Midway, WalMart, Cabelas, Natchez, etc etc are likely getting a larger percentage of their orders fulfilled than say your local gun shop whose order volume is probably on the order of 1/10,000 of these larger retailers.

Additionally, I don't know if retail contracts exist in the world of ammunition, but assuming it does, you can rest assured that just about all of the manufacturers production is dedicated to filling up these large retailers.

And yes, these large retailers are getting ammo. I bought 5000 rounds of Federal AE from Midway about two weeks ago at 4.5 cents a round. I just had to be quick on the draw. :guntootsmiley:

mold maker
01-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Nothing is going to change till the hysteria subsides. As long as anyone pays the gougers inflated prices, the WalMart line at 7 am will remain, and the shelves will only gather dust.

shdwlkr
01-31-2014, 12:09 PM
Well my LGS has an order for 22 ammo that will fill a pallet and hasn't seen only a case or two in almost 18 months. Now if you think a pallet of 22 ammo is cheap go price it and then think you had to pony up the money to get the order placed.

I have a standing order with him for 2 cases of the 22 ammo I use and just may bump it up to 3. I will get it when he has a good supply for others, that is how we work things, I realize he needs to supply others not just me.

As to the new shooters I saw someplace that they figure their numbers are around 45 million so that is a great new hungry animal to feed and then you add in the uncertainty of available ammo for these new shooters and you wonder where it is all going. I haven't even mentioned us old timers that are looking for ammo, or the speculators/gougers.

I will truthfully be honest if I see any large quantities of 22 on shelves before the next panic I will be totally amazed and if it is at a price a old timer can afford hope I don't have a heart attack over it.

Usmc1968
01-31-2014, 12:32 PM
I guess I am kind of lucky. Walked into my local WallyWorld and bought a 100rd box of CCI .22lr but that was it! Could not buy anyomre. Sheesh this is insane. I just bought my 9yr old a Savage Rascal and wondering how much she shoud shoot it...

Semper Fi

Squeeze
01-31-2014, 01:46 PM
Its the same all over, cant even find powder. Obummer has been the undisputed all time best gun and ammo salesman the world has ever seen.

Bonz
01-31-2014, 02:01 PM
saw a clip distributed by GunsAmerica regarding ShotShow 2014 where they were interviewing a Hodgdon rep. He was asked about gun powder availability and he stated that we will probably not see any improvement on availability of gun powder in 2014.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/hodgdons-newest-pistol-powder-cleans-your-barrel-while-you-shoot-shot-show-2014/

Love Life
01-31-2014, 02:08 PM
I think all the retailers should raise their prices to $45-$60 per brick. That'll end the shortage real quick.