PDA

View Full Version : OOOWEE ! Today was the last day at work

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-30-2014, 06:32 PM
...well for a while anyway...I'm hoping it'll be through spring and part of the summer also:Fire::Fire:

for the last 11 years, I have considered myself semi-retired, but I do have a part time job, well it's more 'on-call' full time really. When they ask me to work on a project, it's long days, 5 days a week...sometimes saturdays. Usually I get some time off inbetween projects, but til today it's been back to back projects for most of the last year.

I'm just ecstatic,:drinks: I have so many things I want to do, that have been put off. I haven't smelted any WW for like 18 months, that's on the list, cause I just gotta try out those new "castboolits" ingot molds from Beone. There is a Herters lubesizer (looks like a Saeco but appears to have lyman style dies) that's just waiting to be disassembled and cleaned (a pictorial is planned), and I have a 222 that needs to be fired, as well as a 358. Oh and the livingroom needs painting, and maybe the Garage and outside trim on the house, windows to be re-glazed...that is, if I'm off this summer too.

Well, anyway, I just hope I don't end up being online umpteen hours a day.:coffeecom Today was mostly plowing the 5" of snow we got early this morning. Tomorrow will probably be doing the 2013 taxes. Oh there is so many things !
:guntootsmiley:

s mac
01-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Pace yourself, enjoy.(must be nice]

Charlie Two Tracks
01-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Enjoy! I am a year and a half into retirement and really enjoy it. I can do my projects at my pace now. No more having to get it done on the weekend.

bhn22
01-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Relax and enjoy yourself. Sleep in late, 7:00 or so should be plenty. Do what you want to do, when you want to do it. Or perhaps a day or so later.

You've earned it.

lightman
01-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Sounds like a good life to me! Lightman

ph4570
01-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Good for you. I pulled the plug last April -- wish I had done it sooner.

AKtinman
01-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Congratulations, Jon!

I know you won't be sitting around with nothing to do.

Of course, as a retiree, you don't get holidays off ;)

popper
01-31-2014, 12:08 AM
Wait on the taxes, Fed doesn't have forms released yet.

MTtimberline
01-31-2014, 12:18 AM
I'll be joining you but only in about thirty more years.

dagger dog
01-31-2014, 05:52 AM
I started getting back some of my money 05-2013.

Had time to plant and harvest my garden, camp, fish, hunt, but it was hard for me to adjust to the change.

This coming spring I am going to manage my time better, do some needed painting, help the wife by doing the house cleaning and grocery shopping.

I feel guilty about our age difference, I'm 10 years her senior and hate to see her push herself so hard, she turned 57 this last Dec., and like everyone around that age is showing the wear and tear of 40 years of hard work.

sthwestvictoria
01-31-2014, 06:28 AM
Nice going. Today when I was working, a fellow handed me his business card. A simple white linen card with name across the middle. Then in small script just under the name was inscribed "retired gentleman".

Going to take me a while until I can claim one of those.

aspangler
01-31-2014, 07:53 AM
My first check will hit the bank in March. Looking forward to it after working public jobs since I was 16. Enjoy it. I know I will.

Col4570
01-31-2014, 08:10 AM
You know that old Cliché," I do,nt Know How I found time to go to work",well I have been retired more years now than you can shake a stick at and those words I used to scoff at are true.My days are full,come summer the garden needs constant attention and looks better for it.Come winter there are many things to do for the house.When I come to a standstill I have many times embarked on a gun making marathon or maintain my existing guns and Rifles.It is important not to decelerate too much,pace yourself but on no account must you take to that Rocking Chair.The combination of chores,Shooting,making accessories and doing them at your leasure when you decide to do them is a recipe for a good and comfortable retirement.

Harry O
01-31-2014, 11:23 AM
I can retire any time right now. First passed that hurdle about 2-1/2 years ago. I am still working because I don't hate my job and it pays well. However, I have decided that I am going to let it go in a little over a year. I don't intend to work after that.

Mumblypeg
01-31-2014, 11:38 AM
What Col4570 said..... period.

smoked turkey
01-31-2014, 06:16 PM
Here is another one for what Col4570 said. I try to only set the alarm on special needs days. Those are not very many. Work at your own pace. My wife is a list maker. I am not. But I will say it helps to stay focused on what you need to do. When I first retired I felt "guilty" because I was used to getting things done. I was taught to work and had a job that required it. Now that I am into retirement a few years I no longer feel guilty about what gets done or what doesn't. I figure I earned the right to sleep in and do what my wife says!!

shaggist
01-31-2014, 07:49 PM
My retirement philosophy-There is absolutely nothing that needs doing today that can't be put off until tomorrow.. This has worked well for me for 10 years. Think about it.

pworley1
01-31-2014, 09:02 PM
I have been retired for almost 11 years now and one piece of advice would be to stand in front of the mirror and practice saying no. Everyone you know will think it is there job to find you something to do. Also something else you will find out about retirement is that the hours are longer and the pay is less. The main thing wrong though is that it took so long to get it started. Enjoy!

Floydster
01-31-2014, 09:25 PM
JonB, if you ever get up Becker, Mn. Way, give me a holler, been retired 12 years and I can give you some pointers.:)

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Floyd,
I grew up in Big Lake.
I get up there to visit a friend's veggie farm about 6 to 8 times a year. Yes we should plan a get together.

To All,
Thanks for all the great advice, I'm thinking that either I didn't write the OP clear enough or some of you didn't read it thoroughly enough. I am not retired persay, I am semi-retired as I have been for the last 11 years. It's just I've put in way too many hours in the last year, that I'm celebrating this long over due period of time off. They may call me back for a project at anytime. I have let them know that they worked me too hard in the last 12 months and I don't expect a call soon...but they surely could call in a couple weeks, but I hope not.
Jon

WILCO
02-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Pace yourself, enjoy.(must be nice]

Indeed! Congrats on the time off Jon.

waynem34
02-01-2014, 04:53 PM
tNow!Slow down!Plenty of time.Have some fun.Dont go crazy, but you deserve this.Kick back and relax.R@R!

jaysouth
02-01-2014, 08:46 PM
After being retired over 10 years, I honestly don't know how folks ever find time to work.

However, since my wife retired two years ago, it's not nearly as much fun as it used to be.

geargnasher
02-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Now, just move somewhere that you don't have to shovel snow.

Gear

Idaho Mule
02-02-2014, 12:47 AM
Congrats Jon B. Go fishin', cast boolits, shoot em', but mostly just have fun. JW

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-29-2014, 03:20 PM
OOOWEE ! Today was the last day at work ...well for a while anyway...I'm hoping it'll be through spring and part of the summer also:Fire::Fire:

Well, the fun is over.
I got a call to come back into work, starting monday June 2. A couple large projects, it was mentioned that they will take about a month.

Moonie
05-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Well, the fun is over.
I got a call to come back into work, starting monday June 2. A couple large projects, it was mentioned that they will take about a month.

I'm sure you didn't get nearly as much done as you wanted/expected/needed to. That's always the case.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Yeah, almost nothing...After I got the call, it's been a frenzy to get a few things done...fix a broken window, install the window AC unit, split that last of the firewood, preserving a couple wood trailer decks and other misc outdoor wood items with Linseed oil...then it's gather up the tools and haul them to the jobsite. I'm actually looking forward to it, there have been a couple staff changes there, and need to catchup on the office politics so I'm not one they eliminate long term.

skeet1
05-30-2014, 02:52 PM
JonB_in_Glencoe,
You should have left the phone of the hook.

Ken

MaryB
05-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Caller ID always came in handy when ducking work calls on my days off... :drinks:

TXGunNut
05-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Well, the fun is over.

What a coincidence! I'm going back to work Monday too! Been off work a whole five......hours.
In my business if I take off more than a few months I have tons of catching up to do. Once i retire, I'll stay retired....I hope. So little time, so many rifles & moulds.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Well, I finished that last work project today at 3:30pm CDT that I started June 2, So the vacation starts TODAY !

Boy oh boy, have I got lots planned and timing is everything !
I just got a SFR box full of 222rem brass from Grumpa for the CZ I haven't fired yet, and a week ago a 316299 mold arrived from NOE for my Krag and I just might be playing with loading/fireforming some 11mm french gras.

But first I guess I should mow the lawn and weed the garden and maybe clean the garage. Oh lots of COWW to smelt. ALSO need to pick the Cherries/gooseberries/and the last of the wild black razberries ....Make Jam ? Then there is a ceiling fan project. Woo, I'm tired already :)

rush1886
07-15-2014, 09:22 PM
7 more working days for me.

There is a brand new wagge pot, and 3 uncast molds, just waiting. Of course there's SWMBO'd's Honey Do list, as well.

Jon, Congrat's, and if you need to dispose of any excess gooseberries, pm me. Nothing better than a fresh gooseberry pie!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-02-2014, 03:30 PM
I just got the call >>>Back to work I go, starting Monday Oct 6.
two large projects, the first is to last about 2 months and the other to last all winter and beyond. I'm glad my firewood pile is stacked to the MAX.

Looks like I'll be able to quickly replace the $$$ I took out of my slush fund to pay for my "new to me" used car ...but playtime is over :(

theperfessor
10-02-2014, 08:33 PM
No rest for the wicked! You must be a bad, bad boy. LOL

geargnasher
10-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Excellent choice of automobile, Jon. I go back to work on Monday, too, but I'll be doing that for a lot more Mondays than you will as I'm way behind you.

Gear

facetious
10-03-2014, 03:56 AM
I have got five more years to go till I can call it quits. I hope. But I all ready told the wife the shirt I want for my retirement. It said " I'm retired and your not, NA NA NA NA NA!!!"
and then when I don't have any thing better to do I will put it on and go to the old shop and dance around out side the big window at the end of the room and rub it in.:twisted:

geargnasher
10-03-2014, 02:03 PM
I have got five more years to go till I can call it quits. I hope. But I all ready told the wife the shirt I want for my retirement. It said " I'm retired and your not, NA NA NA NA NA!!!"
and then when I don't have any thing better to do I will put it on and go to the old shop and dance around out side the big window at the end of the room and rub it in.:twisted:

Be sure and coat yourself all over with Invisible Glove dip before doing that. It will make the tar and feathers a LOT easier to get off later.

Gear

facetious
10-03-2014, 02:38 PM
I told her that I could use it as my going to Walmart shirt but she said that that was just being mean.:roll:

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-15-2014, 08:04 PM
A neat bit of trivia:
My current work project is a connecting peripheral sensors on a large pharmaceutical processing machine to the PLC panel. My employer is building this for a China located company. It makes me feel good, knowing that a project/machine being build in Minnesota is gonna be exported to China.

This machine is so large, that when we set it up temporarily to test it, we will have to do so, in our tallest shop (35' ceiling), the top will be a couple feet from the ceiling, so we won't be able to set the top portion on by the usual means. We will be cutting a hole in the roof, so we can drop a cable from portable outdoor crank, so we can lift the top portion of the machine, then move the lower portion under it, then lower the top portion. I'll be posting photos that activity, (assuming the boss will let me take some photos? Some of the details of this project is confidential)

DCM
10-15-2014, 09:17 PM
What type of pharmaceuticals? The mention of that tat word in the same sentence with China makes me nervous.

Garyshome
10-15-2014, 09:41 PM
5" of snow? Ouch!

OeldeWolf
10-15-2014, 10:59 PM
Almost all our drugs and medicines are made in china. I read recently that all out antibiotics are made in china. And that only a small portion of our vaccines are made in the USA. Something to think about.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-16-2014, 07:26 AM
What type of pharmaceuticals?
I have no idea.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-25-2014, 08:58 AM
It looks like I am going to get some time off work for the holidays :)
Starting this afternoon...suppose to last til early Jan :)

What type of pharmaceuticals?
btw, in one of our meetings with the purchasing engineers, the name of the drug was mentioned what this system was going to produce, I don't recall it, but was told it's a antibiotic, and it's the "one" that is known to be the last defense against some of the antibiotic-resistant strains of infections.
This thing was tested all last week, we are disassembling now, and it'll ship out next week.

Dave18
11-25-2014, 02:50 PM
been caught up in a similar rut where Im at, except I got a few more yrs then out,

but its getting old dealing with people who just don't have a clue to doing things, and when you work around technical stuff , induction melting, vacume funaces, cnc robotics, you have to be careful, or you can cause some life threatening issues, and we have these idiots that go do things and everyday is almost a disaster anymore, yet the company keeps hiring outsourced company people who have not a clue, and beating down those that keep things together,

meanwhile these corporate kiddies are reaping in billions, go look up orthopedic implant companies,(not the place to work right now, for skilled trade hourly people right now)

Down South
11-26-2014, 08:17 PM
...well for a while anyway...I'm hoping it'll be through spring and part of the summer also:Fire::Fire:

for the last 11 years, I have considered myself semi-retired, but I do have a part time job, well it's more 'on-call' full time really. When they ask me to work on a project, it's long days, 5 days a week...sometimes saturdays. Usually I get some time off inbetween projects, but til today it's been back to back projects for most of the last year.

I'm just ecstatic,:drinks: I have so many things I want to do, that have been put off. I haven't smelted any WW for like 18 months, that's on the list, cause I just gotta try out those new "castboolits" ingot molds from Beone. There is a Herters lubesizer (looks like a Saeco but appears to have lyman style dies) that's just waiting to be disassembled and cleaned (a pictorial is planned), and I have a 222 that needs to be fired, as well as a 358. Oh and the livingroom needs painting, and maybe the Garage and outside trim on the house, windows to be re-glazed...that is, if I'm off this summer too.

Well, anyway, I just hope I don't end up being online umpteen hours a day.:coffeecom Today was mostly plowing the 5" of snow we got early this morning. Tomorrow will probably be doing the 2013 taxes. Oh there is so many things !
:guntootsmiley:
Doesn't sound too semi retired to me. Sounds more like a full time job. I'm on vacation, Last Friday to Next Sunday. Taking care of a few things here too.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-15-2015, 07:52 AM
Back to work, on the jobsite, today. I guess I'm good with it? Although I'm not ready for the loooong days that'll be needed for this project.

At least 'part' of my Garden is already in...and most of next years wood is cut/split/stacked - just needs some time to season in the sun :)

I'll still be able to 'check in' here once or twice a day. Just mentioning this, to those, I am in the middle of deals with.
Jon

mold maker
04-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Being retired isn't all I expected. The aches and pains, kept at bay with constant exercise, have snuck in, unexpected.
No complaints though as I now have time to rub the hurt away instead of just working through it.
Seven years now and I'm further behind than ever. I have quiet a few molds that are still virgins. Several guns that haven't been shot, and a couple buckets of WW that need to melt.
At least I'm not looking at my watch waiting on quitting time. After 39 years, I was burned out. Dealing with incompetent young folks, and fixing their mistakes made life a constant strain. Often I couldn't apply myself to my job, for most of the day, but my job had to be done.
The company went under within 2 months after I left, because of work all going to China.
Glad I was old enough to retire. At that time hunting a job here was hopeless.
If your health is good and you have sacked away enough funds, give early retirement a serious look. I wish I had escaped the maddhouse a couple years sooner.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Well, after almost 7 weeks off, I get called back to work. It was a good time off, but fewer trips to the range then expected :(

and Dang, right in the middle of a heat wave...no AC in that shop, Welders and CNC lasor cutters in the far end of the shop, and their exhaust fans pull air throughout the whole building...So that means outside air rolls in from the poorly sealed doors in our end of the building...But at least the air is moving, right?