PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try casting AND shooting bismuth or rotometals bismuth/tin mix?

Whiterabbit
01-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Hi Guys,

simple question. Within 100 yards, can I cast with either 100% bismuth or rotometals 93/7 Bi/Sn alloy, and expect (within minute of dessert plate) the same POI and identical accuracy regardless of a small POI shift? With the same load, same powder charge, etc?

Has anyone actually tried it yet? Wanna hear from someone who's done it before I volunteer to be the guineapig at $20 a pound.

popper
01-31-2014, 03:59 PM
They have a report on their web site.

Whiterabbit
01-31-2014, 04:03 PM
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/leadfreebulletalloy.htm

"Be the first to write a Review"

I'm still searching, but cant find it.

williamwaco
01-31-2014, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't hazard a guess but I might offer a question.

At $20 per pound that is half a buck per bullet ( 150 gr )
You can buy some pretty high quality stuff for that price.

Why would you want to cast bullets from something that expensive?

Whiterabbit
01-31-2014, 06:17 PM
the alternative is solid brass which is $1.50 a pop.

bhn22
01-31-2014, 06:59 PM
Must be in California...

Also consider zinc for bullets. The Aussies and the Kiwis seem to do this regularly. I hear it's a pain to size though.

Whiterabbit
01-31-2014, 07:11 PM
I tried zinc in my 357. Shot fine, camera flash... uh, I mean muzzle blast was amazing.

I'm not putting zinc into my flintlock. Nor plastic.

popper
02-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Can't find it now either. IIRC, 30% lighter, accuracy wasn't good.

Whiterabbit
02-03-2014, 12:19 PM
well, I tried more of the brass balls this weekend with interesting results. First time I tried them it was barely on paper at 50 yards, someone suggested (and RIGHTLY SO!) that maybe they were too polished and slipping from around the patch. So I dunked them in a muriatic/H2O2 bath (copper etchant) which did a good job of removing the polish. Not as good as a sand blast, but I don't have access to that in a pinch. Anyways, maybe 4-6" groups, 6" above the bull at 50 yards (the gun is a tack driver off the bench normally). So maybe I don't need to seek alternatives to brass as a non-lead option just yet. It's not there yet, the load seems to fall apart at 100 yards, but it's showing potential at least, assuming I can get close enough to the critters!

My secondary interest in the bismuth was something that might expand, and of course be heavier. But looks like by the time I add enough tin to expand it won't have a weight advantage anymore. So maybe I have something to play with here before I try buying a point of bismuth casting alloy.

Littleton Shot Maker
02-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Rotometals- NO
contact Atlantic metals. It is damn expensive no matter what - plus the adding of tin need to control expansion was too much money to use in bullets.

I was getting quotes from about 5-7 different companies for two alloy types, and 5-10 tons ( Roto almost had a cow) and almost all, 5 out 7 where getting it, the Bismuth from Atlantic, then marking it way up.
Makes crappy bullets but makes great Non-tox shot. %5 tin added of coarse .

It expands real bad in pure form, does not like being and a "cold" mold, takes a long time to cool , lead shrinks down drops from molds allot easier.
Yes we tried it about 14-15 years ago.