PDA

View Full Version : reversing base on Lee 10 lb pot?

Patrick L
12-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I think this has been covered before, but here goes;

How hard is it to reverse the base on a Lee 10 lb pot ? I now use a 20 lb pot, so I'd like to rig up one of those tandem setups where sprues and fresh ingots would go into the 10 lb pot to premelt and get up to temp. The 10 lb pot would be positioned above the big one with the spout lined up to pour that melted mix into the 20 lb pot. I suppose I could just cut the base if I had to.

creekwalker
12-10-2007, 06:34 PM
I've read about this but never seen pictures of the set up, but I would think drilling a hole in the base for the lead stream to flow through would also suffice. Flip it over and use a 1/4 " or larger bit positioned directly below the drain spout. This way you can use the 10# as a stand alone whenever you needed it as such.

Whatever you do please post some pictures of your setup and of it in use.

Creekwalker

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
12-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Patrick, remove the four screws in the base and reverse it, hole spacing is even, goes right back on.
Nick

ovendoctor
12-11-2007, 11:16 AM
make shure its well secured , dont want any accidents :groner:

you will see its front heavy in this set up

IcerUSA
12-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Hello Patrick , do a search on casting pots and you should get a ton of ideas on setting yours up , some have done what you want to do , others have used a trogh to direct the lead from one pot to another , and others use a ladle , I revamped the base of a 10lb Lee and attatcher it to the top of a 20lb Lee so the spout is just inside the edge of the pot piggy back style , added a heavy duty push button switch that turns both on at the samt time . Works for me . :)

Keith

Winger Ed.
12-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Turn your mold around in the handles so the sprue plate can be opened by turning it counter clockwise from the 5 o'clock position to about 9 o'clock.

Wear those big gauntlet style welder's gloves.
Hold the mold handles in your right hand.
Trip the pot's lever, and fill the mold.
When the sprue cools, rotate the sprue plate with your left hand, and catch the sprue.

You can drop the sprue right back in the pot**, and then open & let the bulletes fall out of the mold.

It won't splash much, but keep the big glove between the top of the pot and your face anyway.

With a little practice, and developing your rythm,,,, Its fast.

By the time your 20 pound pot gets down to about 5 pounds,
you'll be ready for a break while ya re-fill and let it stabilize.