PDA

View Full Version : Need A Gunsmith.

Hickory
01-30-2014, 05:33 PM
About a month ago I picked up S&W Model 58, 41magnum. At a really good price. I've always wanted one of these. I would like to have a 5" barrel on it to hunt deer. 5" is the minimum length that is legal here in Ohio. This may not happen but there are a few other things I can do.

The first thing is to fill (tig weld) two holes drilled on the frame that held a BoMar sight.

Second, I like to have the grip frame cut and re welded to a round butt configuration. The second is not that big a deal, but would fit my hand better than the larger grip that came from the factory.

bhn22
01-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Honestly. Sell it and buy something else. You're going to end up with over a grand in a $600.00 gun.

NSB
01-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Agree with bhn22

Hickory
01-30-2014, 05:51 PM
If nothing else, I'd like to get the holes welded shut.
I have less in it then you'd think, it's a good gun.

376Steyr
01-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Will round-butting it cut into the serial number? If it will, you better rethink that part. Plus, where are you going to get a 5" .41 barrel? Cut down a 6" and put on a new front sight? Take it from a guy who has sunk too much money into moneypit project guns, this looks like a project to refrain from starting.

MT Gianni
01-30-2014, 08:02 PM
I would sell it and get a mod 57. Model 58's are in high demand because of the fixed sights, 4" bbl and nothing to snag on. It is a quick draw marvel with enough power for bear and some have outpriced the 57 recently. For hunting I would go with a Blackhawk or a 6" 57 or 657 if you can find one. RB N frames are tough to find grips for, they have made a few but very few and they are not a great fit for most hands.

06ackley
01-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Although I am guilty of putting too much money into guns I say do what you want to it.Its yours and you might as well make it what you want.Will you have more in it than its worth,sure,but if your happy and can afford it who cares.

bhn22
01-30-2014, 08:33 PM
The gun cops will write him a ticket if he messes up.

osteodoc08
01-30-2014, 09:18 PM
To answer your question:
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com

To offer free advice, turn a profit on your M58 that you got so cheap and buy a M57. Adjustable sights and 6" barrel. Done.

357Mag
01-31-2014, 12:14 AM
Hickory -

Howdy !

Thinking out loud.....

- You can get a .41 caliber pistol barrel from Green Mountain Barrels for $80 + shipping ( one example ).

- You could have the new ( custom ) barrel fitted, and save the original.

- You might be able to have the original barrel " lined ", with the last 1" of liner sticking out beyond the muzzle of the original barrel ?

- You might be able to find a 6" M-27 barrel, and cut it back to 5".... if that is a really important dimension for your needs.

In all truth, the first idea seems the most practical... and work-able.

With regards,
357Mag

Jupiter7
01-31-2014, 12:38 AM
Would a pinned, welded and blended comp make it legal? At same time have holes welded. Send off for a refinish. Leave grip frame as is. Seems like it could be done on the cheap.

smoked turkey
01-31-2014, 02:22 AM
Just a thought because the next guy if there is one may like the D&T in the top strap. I'd put filler screws in the holes and it really wouldn't bother me, but that is just me.

kweidner
01-31-2014, 05:55 AM
Douglas offers .41 too. That is what I used on my 2 bbls for my Dan Wesson. Stupid accurate and the interior finish and accuracy are unbelieveable. My Smith threaded them up and cut the cone for me. We were at the range together with the first shots from the 8". Slack jaw would be the word that comes to mind. He said they machined like butter and given the tiny threads on the DW getting a chatter free thread that fine was a bit of concern for me. It turned out fantastic!