PDA

View Full Version : Lee Service

Driver man
01-30-2014, 04:43 PM
I thought to treat myself to a new mould for christmas just past and wanted a 6 cavity RB mould in .457.I love to shoot my Remington 1858 and shoot it most weeks, I load 23 grains of fffg and top that off with semolina before compressing a .457 ball on top. This then gets a coat of lube over the lot before capping. At 25m it will group about 3.5"shot one handed and the cloud of smoke and boom attracts a lot of attention when she goes off . Try as I might I couldnt find a store in the entire country (I live in New Zealand) that had stock so I went on line and bought it from a supplier listed on EBay. The price was right and the service excellent and the mould arrived in 10 days. After preparing the mould I began casting and after about 60 balls the sprue plate handle came off in my hand. It had broken at the bolt hole. These things happen I guess but I didnt want to pack it up and send back to the US as the cost was pretty high so I sent an email to my supplier asking for advice, a reply came back from Lee saying they were sending me a new sprue lever and it arrived this morning. I will fit it later and use it today. I am really impressed with Lee's service. I use a lot of Lee products and over 40 years have had no problems. I am about to head to the range to shoot some 200grain 45acp cast from another 6 cavity Lee mould bought on line just prior to Christmas . Its about 9.30 Friday morning here, the sun is shining and its warm . I can hear the birds in the trees, in particular a Tui making his territory clear to the others and the early morning rush hour traffic will have cleared.The range is waiting.

frkelly74
01-30-2014, 05:27 PM
In case no one has told you, a way to prevent the breakage of those handles is to start with a warmed mold and only fill one or two cavities until the cut is easy and then add one or two more cavities until those cut easy and in time , you will be casting 6 at a time with an easy sprue cut. These handles are not especially strong but will do okay if care is taken. If you take a cold mold and fill all six cavities at once you will probably break the handle very soon. But i agree with your comment about Lee service. They have been excellent whenever I had a problem.

the birds here are really scratching for food just now.

pworley1
01-30-2014, 05:32 PM
I have had very few reasons to call Lee about a product, but when I have, they have always come through for me.

winchester 71
01-30-2014, 07:14 PM
E-mailed customer service 3 days ago..............still no answer on their "HELP LINE" glad it wasn't a life or death situation

d1nk3r_9mm
02-01-2014, 12:07 AM
i just sent in a safety scale i had knocked off my bench, and broke the beam on it, i've had it for a few years now, no questions asked, they sent me a new one in 3 days!!!