PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else try this method of loading for .32 Colt or rimfire?

texassako
01-30-2014, 01:57 PM
I did not want to revive this long ago thread since my question is about the first part: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?90532-Duplicating-the-32-rimfire . Anybody else try Molly's 'breech seating' method? Drop a bullet in then chamber a primed and charged case sealed with a plug of lube? I am about done rehabbing my #2 with a spare CF block and lapping the bore, but not sure how it is going to shoot since the bore was so bad. I thought this might be a good way to function test the rifle with a few rounds using some .32 Short Colt brass I already have. I am also planning on loading up a few with round balls. I just don't want to gather up .32 Long Colt dies and components only to find the bore is to far gone to be worth that much trouble. If it works, I would not need those anyway.

4060MAY
01-31-2014, 11:48 AM
tex
I breech seat a number of rifles including some rolling blocks
a few notes.......the block does not have enough camming force to seat a bullet....
with the solid case method you will need to clearance the rim as to not catch on the extractor..it will eventually break if this is not done...I just grind the rim away on the left side of the case
make a brass punch and leave the primer out of the seater case, tap the bullet in with the punch
I use floral foam to keep the powder in the case....make sure it is the wet foam..the dry foam leave a coating of plastic in the barrel

uscra112
02-02-2014, 04:38 AM
Absolutely. I have a Bay State falling-block for which I made this seater tool: The boolit was a swaged Hornady .32 caliber wadcutter, just because that's what I had at the time. The bore in this rifle is quite good for having been made in 1885 or 1886, and it shot them pretty well. No hard data on paper, but definitely minute of pop can at 30-40 yards. Load was 2 grains of Bullseye, as I recall.

texassako
02-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the 2 different options. I like the punch method, at least until I know if it will hit a can at 50 yards. That is a neat little tool, uscra112. Might be a good project to add to the list if I can get anything resembling accuracy out of this bore.

helice
02-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Looking forward to seeing pictures.