PDA

View Full Version : Remington M14 clacking.

beleg2
12-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi, this in my first post.

I have a Remington M14 carbine and I want to use it for hunting.
My only concern is the sound (clacking) that the fore end/magazine make as it moves a little with the action closed. It is a little movement but makes a click/clack sound.
Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks
Martin

Char-Gar
12-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Figure out where it is loose and hiting. When you have done this wrap the tube with some kind of tape to tighten it up. Aluminum duct tape is very good and if cut properly and placed under something it won't be seen. use as many wraps as necessary to take up the slack.

It has been a long time since I have carried a Model 14 afield, but they should not rattle.

beleg2
12-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks Chargar.
I will try your solution but theres some back and froth movement also I will try to reduce.

Thanks
Martin

Char-Gar
12-12-2007, 08:16 AM
When you take out the slop, you will probably also remove the back and forward movment of the magazine tube as well. I would posit, it is the same problem.

When you get everything tight, don't be removing the big "take down" screw and break the rifle down at the receiver. If you need to clean the barrel , use a muzzle guard and clean from the muzzle. If you take these Remington trombone guns down enough times, they will start to get loose.

The last of the Model 14s. left Remington before WWII and have some years on them. They are well into gun geezerhood and need some TLC.

beleg2
12-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Chargar,
Thanks again.
Do you know where can I find when it was produced (the year)?
Thanks
Martin

Char-Gar
12-12-2007, 04:16 PM
http://www.remingtonsociety.com

Go to the Remington Society site and poke around, they have the date of manufacture codes

cuzinbruce
12-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi,
I have a Remington Model 141 which is just an updated version of the Model 14. Mine makes the same kind of noise. I don't know HOW noisy yours is but it has never been a problem. I would start by just checking that nothing is loose. Also note that on these guns the magazine tube moves back and forth when you work the action. It goes back into the receiver and deposits a cartridge when you push back, then moves forward and the gun chambers the cartridge when you push forward. That is one of the reasons that these guns normally feed very well. It doesn't depend on a little stop at the back of the magazine. If you try to take the movement out, be careful that it will still release properly when you fire the gun. I am not sure about the Model 14, but on the Winchester Model 12, the slide has to go forward a small amount (when the gun is fired) for the slide to release. Good Luck. I hunt with mine. They ae nice guns and with the pump action, very fast for a second shot, if you need one.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-12-2007, 10:41 PM
If you wrap your hand around the barrel and magazine tube just ahead of the receiver, it carries well and the magazine noise is prevented. Notice that there is a bit of clearance where the tube goes though the front tube support. That's where most of the sound comes from. I watch that area for careful handling while on stand trying to be still and quiet, especially when I put my hand on the pump handle and start moving the gun to aim. Push outward a little on the handle too and the tube will be quiet as you mount the rifle. Mine is a .32 Remington near #10,000, from 1914. I still get a deer with it once in a while, as it has to take it's turn in the woods and there's some luck involved in that. BvT

beleg2
12-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Chargar,
Thank you for the link, I found a lot of info.

Cuzinbruce,
Thanks
It makes not much noisy but enough for been concern about hunting from ground blinds at night. M14 feeding is outstanding!

Baron,
Thank for the tips.

Martin

Bret4207
12-22-2007, 10:59 AM
IIRC I saw rifle with the same issue. The guy just put a hunk a electrical tape at the recv'r/mag tube junction and it quited it down. That was his story and it was like 30 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt....

12-23-2007, 06:56 PM
What caliber is your Model 14 beleg2? I've got one that's chambered in 25 Remington, it was made in 1914.

beleg2
12-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Sorry for being so late.
Mine is a Model 14R (carbine) cal. 30 Rem made in 1921.
I try to find one in .25 here in Argentina but could not find one.
The .25 Rem. is a fine cartridge.
Thanks
Martin

12-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Sorry for being so late.
Mine is a Model 14R (carbine) cal. 30 Rem made in 1921.
I try to find one in .25 here in Argentina but could not find one.
The .25 Rem. is a fine cartridge.
Thanks
Martin

Thanks for the reply, no worries on being late. Late only counts at dinner time. :mrgreen:

The 30 Rem is a nice cartridge, how does yours shoot?

beleg2
12-29-2007, 06:05 PM
My .30 REm.?
I love it !
I put a 2.5 scope on it and it can shoot 1.5 MOA with JB and 4 MOA with full charged boolits. This shooting was on my farm from the car, I think it can be improved in a shooting range.
My next proyect is medium leadload with Unique and 2400 (not you.LOL) looking for accuracy to use my M14 as small game/varmint rifle.
Have you meassure accuracy of your .25 REM.?
Thanks
Martin