PDA

View Full Version : Linotype

T-Man
01-30-2014, 05:19 AM
closed

WilliamDahl
01-30-2014, 05:25 AM
OK, I'll be the first to say..... "Totally useless, send it to me for proper disposal".

Seriously though..... Good for mixing with other alloys to get different alloys. The antimony adds hardness and allows you to heat treat the bullets.

http://www.lasc.us/castbulletalloy.htm

white eagle
01-30-2014, 05:26 AM
use it to harden up some of your softer alloy
some use it to make boolits but I have heard its to brittle for hunting applications

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2014, 07:18 AM
well if it were mine id keep it squirreled away but theres alot of money sitting there. Figuring its worth 2 bucks a lb shipped and theres proably a good 1000 lb per barrel. keep in mind though that its real tough to find anymore. You may think you have twice what youll ever use but ive probably gone through that much two times over through the years. Once its gone your not going to be able to replace it.

M-Tecs
01-30-2014, 10:10 AM
If you're going to sell it please post on this forum. If its priced fairly it wont last long.

fredj338
01-30-2014, 02:33 PM
I used to get lino from a small town printer, cheap enough to just cast everything with it. Now days, $2-$3/#, it's used sparingly to sweeten pure lead. A nice find. It doesn't go bad so I would hang on to it & use it as needed or trade it for pure or ww.

detox
01-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Linotype is worth more in raw form because it is easier to identify. So do not melt it down into ingots for resale. Linotype is also the most forgiving and easiest alloy to cast with and makes the purdiest bullets. I like using strait linotype when casting for my .357 Magnum and .30 caliber rifle bullets. Lots of people have used strait linotype for hunting also.

mold maker
01-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Your Grand Dad, and Dad left you a welcome surprise. It used to be common, but it's use in printing, is a thing of the past.
Like the others said, hang on to it. It's value will only go up.
If you don't cast, maybe it's time to start.

Down South
02-01-2014, 12:04 AM
If those barrels are 55 gallon barrels, that's more like several K lbs per barrel. It's still in type form? It's worth a lot and will increase in value.
There was a guy in Houston here a year or so back that had barrels of the stuff too. He had a lot of Foundry and Monotype as well. He sold it all off mostly here on this site. I was lucky that I was only a few miles from him and bought several hundred lbs local pick up.

KingAirNeal
02-01-2014, 09:06 AM
You are sitting on a gold mine. Keep some rare stuff for yourself, sell some, and consider donating something to a good cause too. One of those Springfields sold at a charity auction could do some serious good. Your father and grandfather had some serious vision of the future for you. Bravo!

Down South
02-01-2014, 11:50 AM
You are truly sitting on a gold mine with the things that you have mentioned in this thread. You are blessed.
Back to the type metal, I bet some of that type is Foundry and Monotype. Those metals contain higher percentages of Sn and Antimony. They can fetch a higher price. But, you would have to sort it.

Reloader06
02-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Pictures please.

SlippShodd
02-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Oh, my...

photomicftn
02-01-2014, 03:46 PM
T-Man,

Your story sounds familiar. When my dad passed a couple of years ago, my mom wanted everything *OUT*, and as the only unsupervised (divorced) son, I did the removal of his 60+ years of shooting and reloading stuff. There was easily 3 tons of bullet metal at the house.

That said, I am my own sort of junky for old treasure like this, be it molds, receivers, or whatnot. I look forward to your future tales of discovery.

Thanks,

Bob

Right now I'm sorting through a wood Winchester ammo box of Lyman mold blocks he stashed away packed in axle grease and wrapped in craft paper. After that will be a box of German Nazi marked Mauser receivers. He told me he had stripped down a bunch of Mausers and was building sporters on them back in the day. Wish he would have just preserved and packed them away. The few I checked out had some really interesting pre-war markings. I have a 7mm Rem Mag he built for me when I was in highschool that has Death Head markings on it. I just can't fathom breaking down one of these weapons and doing this. But, back then, such things were common practice. Anyhow...

Bad Water Bill
02-02-2014, 11:16 PM
In the 50s and early 60s we could buy those NASTY KRAUT things for next to nothing. The 98s were shipped and sold here with 0 sorting so you simply got what was next on "THE SCRAP PILE".

Back in the early 60s SEARS sold 30-06 sporter rifles for $29.99 delivered to your house.

All of the actions were SURPLUS military actions with new bbls and very nice new walnut stocks.

You have enough STUFF left to you to probably selectively sell and pay off your mortgage and possibly send a kid or 2 thru college.

I will be sending Girty down there to help you dispose of some of that deadly toxic stuff at no charge.:bigsmyl2:

Down South
02-02-2014, 11:46 PM
There is a GB going on here now for a 22 air rifle pellet. But yes, I've seen others as well.

Bigslug
02-04-2014, 02:17 AM
My dad told me, about a month before he passed, that there was a crate of 1903 Springfields stashed away in there somewhere he got from my granddad, who picked them up at a surplus auction back in the 50's. I found the original receipt in his filing cabinet dated 18 July 1957. It was for twelve United States Rifles, Caliber .30-06, Model 1903 packed in a wood crate with cosmoline preservative. The total bid cost was $27.50.

Tell you what T-Man; when you find that crate full of WWI clunkers, I will pay you $27.50 for EACH of those twelve Springfields, just so you can get that heavy box out of your way and get on with your housecleaning. That should cover inflation and then some. I'll even pay shipping, because that's the sort of kind, considerate fellow I am. You find yourself tripping over those barrels of linotype, just pour some in the bottom of the crate - this will help keep it from flipping over in transit.

Down South
02-04-2014, 06:45 AM
You know...I would give all the stuff in his collection away, and deliver it free of charge, just to have one more day with my father.
There are a number of us that would give much of what we have to have one more day with one of our loved ones.
RIP

RogerDat
02-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Don't forget to take the time to appreciate what these objects represent in terms of who these family members were, what they did, and how they went about it. Those drums of type are something they owned for what they could do with it, that was it's value to them. Those rifles were an auction they went to with family or friends and bought in order to do something with them. The receipt says they watched were their money went. Every tool represents a skill they attempted or mastered.

The tools, books, record albums, pictures and papers my father left behind provide me a touchstone with who he and my mom were, and how they went through and about living their life.
While some of these things have a commercial value, their value to me as a son is much greater.

Clay M
02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
I use it 80% WW/ 20% Lino. The hardness comes out right on Lyman#2.It also makes casting easier also.

Clay M
02-04-2014, 03:01 PM
At Roto metals prices you are sitting on about $22000 worth of Lino.

uscra112
02-04-2014, 04:30 PM
That place must be Aladdin's cave.

MaryB
02-05-2014, 03:25 AM
My dad passed away this summer suddenly and I know what you mean. I would give anything for one more pheasant hunt or fishing trip.