PDA

View Full Version : Ordered out of stock .22LR ammo from Cabela's by mistake.... they shipped it anyway.

destrux
01-30-2014, 12:32 AM
So about a week ago I saw on one of the "deals" websites that Cabela's had 525rd value packs of Remington Golden Bullet in stock, normal $21 price, and they have that free site-to-store shipping program. Excellent... I live near the Hamburg store.

So I clicked through and got an error that the item number was invalid... so I tried the link again and it worked. So I added a box to the cart and when I tried to check out it told me it was out of stock. Being stubborn like I am, I started over once again and this time the whole order went through! :drinks:

Then, no order confirmation email. Then the next day they retracted the charge on my credit card. Then I read on a forum that someone else called Cabela's and found out that the problem was someone rigged up the link using a third party cart system that forced the item to show in stock (likely to draw traffic to their "deal" website) when it really wasn't. That's a dirty trick.

So I figured... "Oh well, I tried. No big deal."

Then yesterday I get an email from Cabela's that my order is at the store ready for pickup. Haha.

I drove down there today... showed them my order number and ID and they gave me a box. Opened it up, and there was a 500rd brick of Remington Thunderbolt inside. Not what I ordered, but I wasn't about to refuse it.

So... sometimes it pays to be stubborn I guess.

Funny thing is, if I go back to the "deal" link in my history (the deal page took the link down the day they posted it) , the page still shows the stuff in stock over a week later. I wonder if it would work again.... but I'm not going to try.

Oh, and after I picked it up, they did automatically charge my card for the amount. $23 total with tax.

wantoutofca
01-30-2014, 01:09 AM
23 is a steal for thunder duds. I may have to try this myself!

starmac
01-30-2014, 02:58 AM
Funny that we call 23 bucks a steal now, when 2 years ago we would have called it highway robbery. lol

destrux
01-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Yeah thats the sad truth. I never had a problem with the thunderbolt myself though. Had a few bricks over the years.

taiden
01-30-2014, 09:32 AM
There's a lot of stuff like that going on online right now. If you know where to keep an eye out, you can order stuff well before it's live on the site. This is how I got 5000 rounds of Federal AE shipped to my door for 4.5 cents a round just about a week ago.

You can also use live CSS editing with a tool like Firebug to reveal Walmart stock on their website.