PDA

View Full Version : Kroil?

wv109323
01-29-2014, 11:29 PM
I have read on the forum people using kroil to to coat their bullet molds. My question is who sells it? Does any of the big box stores or automotive places sell it? I have been unable to find it.

btroj
01-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Man, haven't seen that come up in a while.

Do yourself a favor, keep your mould oil free. Just trust me on this one.

Outpost75
01-30-2014, 12:27 AM
I use mineral oil USP from the drug store. I use it also as gun oil. It is inexpensive, effective and available verywhere. Pre-heat your molds on an electric hot plate and the oil sublimes away leaving no residue. Use a 300 degree F Tempilstik to regulate pre-heat temperature and rest your empty blocks on the hot plate when you stop to refil and flux the pot.

Bzcraig
01-30-2014, 12:31 AM
Kroil is a great product, smells good and has many uses, but as Brad said, not as a boolit mold lube. I read the stories of its miraculous properties for making boolits jump out of the mold. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and in all sincerity any oil in your mold not cleaned out will produce unusable boolits. To answer your question, I could not find it locally and had to order direct from the manufacturer.

Airman Basic
01-30-2014, 05:48 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Penetrating-liquid-KROIL/dp/B000F09CF4
Face it. They have everything. You will be assimilated.

Socal147
01-30-2014, 07:06 AM
Works great on a bore mop to keep the barrel clean. Never lubed a mold to date. No need.

ubetcha
01-30-2014, 08:38 AM
I have used it on both steel and aluminum molds and for me , yes it does work. First few bullet may be wrinkled but after that they come out and looked great.. As the saying goes, your mileage may very.
you can get Kroil from Brownells and from another source ( at the present I don't recall) and from the manufacturer

CastingFool
01-30-2014, 09:15 AM
You can get Kroils at some home building supplies store like Lowe's, or Menard's. Some parts stores may carry it, too. I have heard of high power shooters using it to clean the bore of their rifles. It gets underneath any metal deposits and you just wipe them away.

country gent
01-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Kroil oil can be found at alot of places for awhile cabelas was carrying it even. Most Tool supply places ( machine shop supply) carry it. Its available in aresol quart gallon and 5 gallon containers. Ive never tried it in a mold but have used it to clean mixed 50/50 with shooters choice. Also used it at work in the tool room to clean and pre lube ball bushing on dies. Its also a great for a penetrant on stuck screws and or sliding members.

pdawg_shooter
01-30-2014, 02:31 PM
I mix kroil, mineral spirits, and atf for a great bore cleaner.

Hardcast416taylor
01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
I`ve seen Midway list small cans of Kroil.Robert

JSnover
01-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Maybe for long-term storage… maybe. But you want to clean it all out before you cast.

bhn22
01-30-2014, 05:55 PM
It seems to be cheaper from the manufacturer than anywhere else: http://www.kanolabs.com/

I see they also offer a spray on graphite lube. Hmmm...

winchester 71
01-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Kroil it the best stuff for about anything, it frees frozen tools such as pliers,folding knives,coated rust along with the shooting aplications..........zippers, bore cleaning with JB just the go to stuff............keep a can everywhere easy access as needed..............

EMC45
01-31-2014, 10:44 AM
I get mine from the Kano Lab.

skeet1
01-31-2014, 11:53 AM
I have a Lyman 452460 mold that had a very bad habit of bullets sticking in the cavities. The mold in question I have owned for many years and I had given up on using it because of the aggravation of sticking bullets. I had tried everything I could think of to make this mold work and when I saw on this forum of guys using Kroil for this problem I thought why not try it, what could it hurt.

Like was said above the bullets turned out wrinkled very badly at first even after cleaning but then they started getting better and the mold now works as it should. I don't know why it works but I think it does. So if you have tried everything else, what could it hurt to try Kroil?

Ken