PDA

View Full Version : rust issues on 93 spanish mauser.

twc1964
01-29-2014, 11:18 PM
Hi folks, i recently aquired a 93 mauser of spanish make. it was free and rusty on action and barell but with orig chambering in 7-57 and a good bore. i really need to get the rust off to see where i stand. any ideas how to remove it fairly easily ? any help would be appreciated

timspawn
01-29-2014, 11:42 PM
The finest steel/bronze wool and some oil will work. Also if it has chunks of rust on it you can scratch the rust off "lightly" with the edge of a penny then go over it with the steel wool. I wouldn't use this method on a high dollar firearm, but for badly rusted guns it works well.

pworley1
01-29-2014, 11:49 PM
My usual method is to take them out of the stock and use OOOO steel wool and Ed's red until the rust is gone then clean cloth and Ed's red until clean then rub with Ed's red oil and let set for a day or two. Wipe off the oil, replace stock, and enjoy.

twc1964
01-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Yeah timspawn, i tried that method and no luck. finish on gun, if there was any to begin with is gone. i have been trying a gel rust remover but is slow going. as this gun is not going to be a beauty queen, I'm open to all suggestions. this gun is not original at all , eg modern sporter stock, modern sights etc. just gonna be a ugly shooter. might make a decent hog gun I'm thinking.

timspawn
01-29-2014, 11:54 PM
Bead blaster and some Aluma-Hyde?

Multigunner
01-30-2014, 12:04 AM
Balistol removes rust gently and in most cases will leave a blackened stain in any rusty pitting below the surface.
Bronze wool is probably better but 0000 Steel Wool will do the job if you use a light touch.

To break up scabs of rust I soak the area with balistol or liquid wrench and scrape lightly with a popcicle stick whittled to a chisel point.

twc1964
01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. i wrapped yhe barrel and action in plastic wrap after coating everything with navel jelly. hope to keep jelly from drying out so quick. looks like its working. if i had a big plastic tub of the stuff, id dunk the darn thing lol

MtGun44
01-31-2014, 01:00 AM
Oh - IMO, a bad choice. Naval jelly will remove 100% of the original finish.
IMO, you should have done the 0000 steel wool and light oil route,
that leaves it pretty smooth and the surface is stable, minimal future tendency
to rust easily.

After Naval Jelly you will have to do a refinish, it will typically be splotchy
and uneven in color and texture. Rebluing will be the best route now.

Bill

OBIII
01-31-2014, 01:11 AM
Evapo-rust, sold at Tractor Supply and other places, will do an excellent job, non toxic, does not have to be removed, just let dry. Stubborn areas can benefit from toothbrush or steel wool. If left too long, it will also remove the finish, but by keeping a careful eye on it you can eliminate that problem. Another method is electrolysis, which if you do a search for electric rust removal on the forum should bring up some useful threads. Naval Jelly is, ...YUCK. Good luck.

OB