PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt 5.5" barrel, going back to Ruger.

Changeling
01-29-2014, 06:37 PM
I have a Ruger SS 45 Colt 5.5 " that I am sending back to Ruger. I (and others) have tried everything Imaginable to get it to shoot, to no avail.

Question to those that actually know:
I had the cylinder honed by "Cylinder Smith" and some other custom things done till the revolver was in the exact specs for it to be perfect for shooting cast bullits/Boolits
Will Ruger totally ignore this custom work and just do a "Rebuild" or take the time to see what is really wrong?

This will be the first time I have ever had to send a firearm back to the manufactuer, and I am just plain uneasy!!:roll:

No_1
01-29-2014, 06:48 PM
That is a question that only Ruger can answer.

captaint
01-29-2014, 07:10 PM
I personally would have a much higher regard for Ruger if they either repaired the gun and explained what the problem was - OR - sent you a new gun and still explain the problem and why it was (certainly something must be) out of spec. It would be much less satisfying if they just sent you a new gun with no explanation. Kinda like "yeah, we couldn't get it to shoot either, so here's your new gun". I mean, if we don't know what the problem is, we can't fix it in future manufacturing, can we ?? Just my take. Mike

felix
01-29-2014, 07:30 PM
As always, it depends upon the PERSON doing the fitting of the parts. A person with an accuracy mind, or one with factory authorized specs will do your gun. I sent a 22LR/22Mag old model in for a new firing pin installation. That was all. It came back as a new model with the heaviest trigger pull that a lawyer would love all the way to the bank. I was mad as helll. Decided to go the basement and pull off a few anyway. Surprise!!! All rounds went into the same hole at 25 feet with BOTH cylinders. About 12 rounds each cylinder. Somebody down on the line decided to do his job for the customer and the corporation at the same time. A very rare occurrence. ... felix

cbrick
01-29-2014, 07:41 PM
I've only sent one revolver back to Ruger, one year later I got it back with a new cylinder, all new internal parts brand new really nice Ruger wood and a brand new two finger trigger job. Shoots really well now and the trigger was an easy enough fix.

Rick

EDIT to add: In fairness to the OP this revolver was sent back FOR a new cylinder. That's all they were supposed to do but they went through the whole gun.

Airman Basic
01-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Same here. Spent a tidy sum trying to get one to shoot. Didn't work. Great trigger job, white outline red ramp. Came back with no red ramp after Ruger replaced cylinder and barrel. Replaced my expensive trigger job, too. Shoots good now. After a poor boy's trigger job.
Moral is, send it to Ruger before you sink money into custom work.

DougGuy
01-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Changeling did that gun have a bit of thread constriction or did you ever check it?

contender1
01-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Ruger has a liability issue to deal with.
If you do custom work, you are modifying a factory gun. You assume any liability. So, when Ruger gets a gun in for repairs, they will return it to factory configuration. Custom action jobs, special parts etc are not Ruger stuff so they can not be held liable for such stuff.
If you send in an Old Model, (built prior to 1973 before the New Models) they will install a transfer bar safety system. They will return OM parts as long as they are still safe.
Will they tell you what they find out about your gun? Most likely not. It takes a lot of time for a service tech to write it up, send the info to another person to type & prepare. Time is money.
What will they do? It will depend upon the problem.
If they test the gun, with factory ammo, (Likely NOT cast bullets,) and it falls within factory specs, they will not work on the gun. They do not build custom guns.
Keep your expectations within reason for a company with a lot of liability & shareholders to keep happy.

9.3X62AL
01-30-2014, 01:19 PM
My sole example of Ruger Customer Service is an EXEMPLARY one. At Christmas time 2012 (12/21/12) I Fed-Ex'ed my Redhawk 44 x 5.5" back to Ruger to address a draggy cylinder rotation issue that had been a PITA since new in 1999. It came back on 01-08-13 fully repaired and SMOOTH AS BUTTER. I'm a happy customer, and how.

Changeling
01-30-2014, 06:09 PM
As always, it depends upon the PERSON doing the fitting of the parts. A person with an accuracy mind, or one with factory authorized specs will do your gun. I sent a 22LR/22Mag old model in for a new firing pin installation. That was all. It came back as a new model with the heaviest trigger pull that a lawyer would love all the way to the bank. I was mad as helll. Decided to go the basement and pull off a few anyway. Surprise!!! All rounds went into the same hole at 25 feet with BOTH cylinders. About 12 rounds each cylinder. Somebody down on the line decided to do his job for the customer and the corporation at the same time. A very rare occurrence. ... felix

I sincerely hope your luck rubs off on me somehow Felix.
I have been fussing with this revolver to long! I should have sent it back when Jim told me to! However I have a hard time with admiting defeat, therefore every thing I could think of was tried to no avail!!

I have been calling Ruger for a week or so now (To get a RMA number as instructed) but there answering machine states they are experincing unusually high volumes of traffic and to call back later, that's starting to get old! However it is understandable in the times we all have all been facing.
Thanks very much Felix for your comments, things will probably work out in time! I just hope it's in my lifetime, LOL.

Hopefully things will get better soon.

jonp
01-31-2014, 10:42 AM
Sending a gun to Ruger to be "fixed" after custom work is done and having Ruger actually do it says more about Ruger than anything.

Char-Gar
01-31-2014, 11:12 AM
When you send a firearm to Ruger it will come out of their shop the second time, just like to came out the first time. They will replace any parts that have been modified since shipped when new. There is a possibility that you voided the warrantee with all of your work. There is a chance Ruger will inform you the pistol won't shoot because of the work you did, and they may be right. Ruger is pretty good about this stuff, but don't have a stroke if you get the pistol back the same way it left.

Factory Ruger revolvers will give adequate accuracy the way they come. The accuracy level may not be bench rest quality, as they handguns are not made for that and are made to sell for a reasonable cost. There is a reason why Freedom Arms revolvers sell for much more than Rugers. I have followed your frustrations with this sixgun and have some theories, but without having the gun in my hands, that is all they are, just theories. As a general rule, one should not modify a firearm unless they really know what they are doing and something really needs to be modified. Casting about modifying this or that in a vague attempt to improve something is never a wise approach to these matter. Random changes is not a good plan. Neither is relying on internet advice for that matter.

I will seldom if ever buy a revolver that has been modified by a previous owner. I have seen too many guns on the used market ruined by folks trying to improve something that didn't need to be improved or they didn't know how to do it.

I have found that folks most often get dissatisfied with cast bullet in their sixguns for a couple of basic reasons;

1. They just can't shoot a revolver well.

2. They don't know how to load and shoot cast bullets that will perform well.

There is the outside possibility that the maker of any object can let one ship out that is defective. Ruger does not do it often, but I hold the possibility that is could happen. If you get one, that won't give even adequate accuracy, in the hands of a good shooter, which the ammo for which it was designed, then send it back right then and there, don't try and tweak it to make it shoot. A good shooter can be tweaked to make it a better shooter, but a defective firearm can't be tweaked to make it a good shooter. Bad is bad and good is good. Start with good and you are OK. Start with bad and you are not OK.

I am through now...

Airman Basic
01-31-2014, 11:19 AM
When you send a firearm to Ruger it will come out of their shop the second time, just like to came out the first time. They will replace any parts that have been modified since shipped when new. There is a possibility that you voided the warrantee with all of your work. There is a chance Ruger will inform you the pistol won't shoot because of the work you did, and they may be right. Ruger is pretty good about this stuff, but don't have a stroke if you get the pistol back the same way it left.

If there is a reason why your pistol won't shoot, you need to know the reason why before you send it in.
Had no clue why when I sent it to Ruger. Last resort kind of thing. Now know should have sent it earlier. But just the fact it left Ruger and Talo originally needing a new cylinder and barrel kind of makes me sad.

snowwolfe
01-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Even though Rugers price is great (free) if it were me I would send it off to a custom smith and have it fixed or changed to exactly what you want. Warrantys are great but sometimes not worth the hassle. A good smith can change the barrel, adjust clearances, change sights, etc.
Then you have a custom that will last your lifetime.

Char-Gar
01-31-2014, 11:48 AM
Had no clue why when I sent it to Ruger. Last resort kind of thing. Now know should have sent it earlier. But just the fact it left Ruger and Talo originally needing a new cylinder and barrel kind of makes me sad.

I have sent two sixguns back to Ruger that I purchased new and sent them back before I even fired them. They both had heat scale inside the barrels where the front sights had been soldered. Ruger rebarreled both of them and sent them back in short order and they were good to go.

One of them had some tool marks in the cylinder which I pointed out to Ruger and they replaced the cylinder on that one with one that did not.

I have also sent new Smith and Wessons back before I fired them. If a new firearm is defective, the defect can be spotted before it is fired. The purchaser just has to go over them with a fine tooth comb before he starts stuffing ammo in and banging away and wondering why he can hit what he is shooting at.

I have tweaked a few sixguns in my time, but they were already basically solid guns before I worked on them.

Char-Gar
01-31-2014, 11:55 AM
Even though Rugers price is great (free) if it were me I would send it off to a custom smith and have it fixed or changed to exactly what you want. Warrantys are great but sometimes not worth the hassle. A good smith can change the barrel, adjust clearances, change sights, etc.
Then you have a custom that will last your lifetime.

I have had handguns ruined by some of the biggest names in the custom gunsmith business. I won't list their names here. I have been burned so often by gunsmiths that if I can't do the work myself, then it doesn't get done.

To be certain there are some good people out there, and I don't intend to indict the entire craft. I will say that Gary Reeder built me a custom Ruger that is perfection. I can find nothing that was not done right and I have a good and critical eye. Hamilton Bowen and Alex Hamilton (10 Ring Precision) are two more names you can trust.

snowwolfe
01-31-2014, 01:16 PM
I have had handguns ruined by some of the biggest names in the custom gunsmith business. I won't list their names here. I have been burned so often by gunsmiths that if I can't do the work myself, then it doesn't get done.

To be certain there are some good people out there, and I don't intend to indict the entire craft. I will say that Gary Reeder built me a custom Ruger that is perfection. I can find nothing that was not done right and I have a good and critical eye. Hamilton Bowen and Alex Hamilton (10 Ring Precision) are two more names you can trust.

Can't argue with one point you mentioned and totally agree with you. A pistol smith has to be picked carefully. As an owner of Ruger 44 mags, 45 Colts and a couple of S&W 629s as well as a BFR 500 JRH and FA 475 Linebaugh there is a trend as to the more they cost generally the better they shoot.
Overall I had pretty good luck with Rugers but maybe my expectations are lower. If I have a revolver that can shoot 2 inch groups off the bench at 25 yards its a keeper. But I have gone through quite a few Ruger semi's that shoot so bad I just sold them off immediately.

Love Reeders work and his flair. One of these days I will get him to do a revolver for me.

Char-Gar
01-31-2014, 03:11 PM
Can't argue with one point you mentioned and totally agree with you. A pistol smith has to be picked carefully. As an owner of Ruger 44 mags, 45 Colts and a couple of S&W 629s as well as a BFR 500 JRH and FA 475 Linebaugh there is a trend as to the more they cost generally the better they shoot.
Overall I had pretty good luck with Rugers but maybe my expectations are lower. If I have a revolver that can shoot 2 inch groups off the bench at 25 yards its a keeper. But I have gone through quite a few Ruger semi's that shoot so bad I just sold them off immediately.

Love Reeders work and his flair. One of these days I will get him to do a revolver for me.

Rugers are what they are, i.e. a basic durable low end revolver. If you want to lavish several thousand dollars on it you can have a fine handsome heirloom revolver that shoots good as well.

Gary Reeder's work is somewhat garish for the taste of some, but style aside his mechanical ability is second to none.

Changeling
01-31-2014, 04:09 PM
There was "0" thread constriction.

When I say "custom" modifications, that meant having "Cylinder Smiths" grind the cylinders to match at .5215.

When Char-Gar implies I can't shoot and just stuff the cases with bullits he doesn't have any idea what he is talking about. There were also a couple other shooters, friends of mine that are not members of this forum.

44Man shot this revolver extensively, made a custom front site (heavy Boolit front site) he could not get any accuracy whatsoever!

Char-Gar all you have done is ramble on and on implying it is my fault the gun doesn't shoot! You never once asked me what had been done to the revolver, not once!
Of course you just buy them and immediately send back to Ruger! I'm not that kind of person, but obviously you don't have a clue what I mean by that!

Your only interest seems to be puffing up like a barn yard rooster and telling everyone and me how YOU would have handled it!
After listening to your BS please refrain from ever answering my posts again, you're a NUT case!

DougGuy
01-31-2014, 04:40 PM
There was "0" thread constriction.

I can't for the life of me think of why that would be a bad shooter. There are some very simple dimensions that when applied to Rugers, seem to straighten them out in short order. First is the cylinder throat diameters, and how even all 6 are. As long as they are half thou or a whole thou over the boolit diameter, and boolit diameter is a thou over or two thou over bore diameter, and the forcing cone is smooth and concentric with the bore, it almost has to shoot good at that point. True there will be a combo of boolit/powder/crimp that will work better than others but for the most part the majority of handloads that I have used in .45 Colt have all shot decent groups.

There is a lot to be said about the shooter as well, and again the Ruger needs a lighter trigger return spring IMO to make it easy to fire the gun without disturbing the sights. In dry fire exercise, until I can dry fire one and the sights stay where they were when the hammer fell, it isn't ready for the range. That one test alone, is a must. Not saying you or anybody else that shot the gun is doing something wrong, but when you get it back, put the lighter Wolff trigger return spring in it and see if you can dry fire it and hold the sights motionless. I have found that's all the trigger work necessary for mine to shoot well. This exercise IMO, will tell you if it's the gun, or if it's the shooter.

Char-Gar
01-31-2014, 05:07 PM
Changling...You are a temperamental sort given to anger and drama. You also misconstrued the nature and purpose of my post. You take things personal that were not intended for you.

This is a public forum and I will give my input any time I feel like I should, your touchiness not withstanding. If you find me annoying beyond tolerance, I would suggest you put me on your "ignore" list and that will free you up from my posts and the angst that causes you. Life is too short for you to be so vexed.

Changeling
01-31-2014, 05:18 PM
Hi DougGuy, when I say won't shoot think 10 inches (serious) and up groups, trigger return springs don't cause that. However I appreciate your interest in helping, thanks.

I'm going to leave it up to Ruger at this point, I feel I have done everything I can do. When they send it back, it will immediately be shot at my home range or maybe Jim's.
Hearing some guys talk about not getting there firearms back for a year however is quite unsettling, I sure as Hell hope it doesn't take that long.

Char-Gar
01-31-2014, 05:20 PM
I can't for the life of me think of why that would be a bad shooter. There are some very simple dimensions that when applied to Rugers, seem to straighten them out in short order. First is the cylinder throat diameters, and how even all 6 are. As long as they are half thou or a whole thou over the boolit diameter, and boolit diameter is a thou over or two thou over bore diameter, and the forcing cone is smooth and concentric with the bore, it almost has to shoot good at that point. True there will be a combo of boolit/powder/crimp that will work better than others but for the most part the majority of handloads that I have used in .45 Colt have all shot decent groups.

There is a lot to be said about the shooter as well, and again the Ruger needs a lighter trigger return spring IMO to make it easy to fire the gun without disturbing the sights. In dry fire exercise, until I can dry fire one and the sights stay where they were when the hammer fell, it isn't ready for the range. That one test alone, is a must. Not saying you or anybody else that shot the gun is doing something wrong, but when you get it back, put the lighter Wolff trigger return spring in it and see if you can dry fire it and hold the sights motionless. I have found that's all the trigger work necessary for mine to shoot well. This exercise IMO, will tell you if it's the gun, or if it's the shooter.

There are three elements to a handgun accuracy: The gun, the ammo and the shooter. If a fellow has a Ruger handgun that is dimensionally correct in all regards, with no obvious or detectable flaws and faults, then that takes the possible number of elements down to two.

I have been shooting, loading for and working on hanguns for over 50 now and there is no voodoo in it. All problems related to the handgun can be found and fixed, the human element is often much harder to fix than the mechanical element.

C. Latch
01-31-2014, 05:27 PM
made a custom front site (heavy Boolit front site)

This isn't terribly relevant to the problem at hand, but I'd like to see your front sight, just out of curiousity. I didn't care for the stock ruger front. Replaced mine.

eta: picture of my sight

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/clatch/Mobile%20Uploads/52FEEAF1-28AE-4206-9D72-C754CF95498B_zps3a9buyxj.jpg (http://s78.photobucket.com/user/clatch/media/Mobile%20Uploads/52FEEAF1-28AE-4206-9D72-C754CF95498B_zps3a9buyxj.jpg.html)

cbrick
01-31-2014, 05:31 PM
Hearing some guys talk about not getting there firearms back for a year however is quite unsettling, I sure as Hell hope it doesn't take that long.

It did take a year for Ruger to return my New Model Blackhawk but that's not the norm. It was sent to Ruger by my Smith for a screw up made by my Smith for a new cylinder. The caliber at the time was no longer produced by Ruger and they were waiting on a determination of bringing that caliber back into production which they did, finally.

Rick

williamwaco
01-31-2014, 05:35 PM
I predict they will call you and tell you the cylinder is out of spec and you can have a new one for only $175.00.

If you had a trigger job, they will tell you the same thing except they probably will not charge for that.

You will have the choice of do it all or do nothing.

If you do it all, you will NOT get your original cylinder back.

At least that is what they told me when I sent mine back.

nicholst55
01-31-2014, 05:47 PM
I've seen a several similar reports on the Ruger Forum. Based on those, I would expect Ruger to replace the barrel and cylinder, and maybe other parts as well (hammer and trigger). Realize that the chamber throats will most likely be below optimum diameter when the gun is returned (assuming that they do indeed replace the cylinder). Factory specs for chamber throats are pretty generous, and the only recourse available is to have them reamed (again).

Hope things work out better the second time around.

MtGun44
01-31-2014, 08:19 PM
AFAIK, Ruger will replace any parts that have been modified in any way from
factory specifications. Frankly, if I ran their shop - I would do exactly the same thing.

They do not have time or money to run experiments on their nickel. They have specs
and they will make sure the gun meets those specs - END OF STORY.

If you ship them with "out of specification" parts - be they parts that have broken or that
have been lovingly modified by the finest pistolsmith on the planet. . . . . - they will
identify them as not meeting Ruger specifications - and therefore deemed unsafe - or
at least UNKNOWN to be safe, so they bring the gun into specifications. Your only hope
is that they don't notice the throats and leave the cyl alone by default.

There is nothing much else that they can practically do, especially considering the lawsuit
crazy pool of circling sharks (lawyers) that this country has become.

Bill

Changeling
02-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Hi Bill. It just started off as a question as to what I could expect that got out of hand. I will do as you suggest (I think) and say nothing about the up grades. I thoroughly understand there position that is why I was so hesitant about sending it back to Ruger.
Now all I have to do is get through to them, so far that has not happened.

Airman Basic
02-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Hi Bill. It just started off as a question as to what I could expect that got out of hand. I will do as you suggest (I think) and say nothing about the up grades. I thoroughly understand there position that is why I was so hesitant about sending it back to Ruger.
Now all I have to do is get through to them, so far that has not happened.
Took me a while to dig out the right phone numbers. PM me if you like and we could compare notes and see if my numbers are same as yours.

44man
02-02-2014, 10:26 AM
The very first thing I do is get rid of creep, then work the trigger spring just enough so the transfer bar does not drop when the trigger is pulled. (Did not work on a few so I made longer transfer bars.)
THEN, I install a Wolfe over power variable hammer spring of 26#.
Now you can dry fire to see the hammer jar the guns, sort of like a flinch will do, no way to keep the sights on target! Yeah, heavy hammer fall.
But it has never made the guns shoot bad, if anything accuracy is better with the stronger spring.
Nothing I hate more is a hard, creepy trigger.
My Rugers have 1-1/2# triggers and my BFR 45-70 has a 19 oz trigger.
I want to get back to why a gun can never shoot if all is perfect and it makes me wonder about a flaw in the barrel steel that affects vibration.
The amount of all makes of guns I have worked with has shown just a few that nothing could be done with and it could be the most expensive or the cheapest. Seen the same with rifles and muzzle loaders.
The last thing you will hear from me is the shooter, I expect all of you to know what each gun does.
I have sold off guns that I could never make shoot to get another the same that was a tack driver.

762 shooter
02-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Unless something has changed recently, Ruger firearms have no warranty.

Sweetpea
02-02-2014, 12:53 PM

I guess you'd need to throw some weight with that statement, there are MANY here, that have had nothing but EXCELLENCE from Ruger!

762 shooter
02-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Deleted

762 shooter
02-02-2014, 01:33 PM
I guess the weight is that my statement is true. Ask Ruger.

The first two firearms I bought 41 years ago were Rugers and the last 4 firearms I bought were Rugers. I'm a big fan of Ruger.

They still have no warranty.

http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html
Click Service Department FAQ.

Sweetpea
02-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Semantics...

They have an awesome CUSTOMER SERVICE, even if they don't call it a WARRANTY...

762 shooter
02-02-2014, 02:31 PM
True

It's probably better than a warranty. That's why they usually fix all firearms, even someone who tried to win a Darwin Award with one.

You can't void one if there isn't one.

RadioTech
02-02-2014, 02:52 PM
The one and only time I sent a gun to Ruger was many years ago and that was to have a spare cylinder fit so I could have it rechambered to a wildcat round. When the gun came back I almost didn't recognize it as to operation. They had replaced all the internal parts and even the grip frame that I had modified to better fit my hand. It was gritty and had lots of creep. I called and was told that they do that with any gun that comes in for repair or refitting. I asked about the old parts and was told that they would have been thrown away. It took a while to get the action back to where it was before I sent it in.
I haven't sent another back since then.

DougGuy
02-02-2014, 03:06 PM
I had a 4 5/8" stainless Vaquero that shot low and badly left. Sent it back asked them to rebarrel it. They did, polished it up a little more, shipped it both ways on their dime. Pretty cool or so I thought. I took it hunting and missed a NICE 8pt whitetail buck standing 20yds facing me, oh was I mad!

Left the woods, went to my truck, put up a target and sure enough, 8-10" left, and 4" low @25yds.. By now I am just mad enough to spit nails. I took it apart and threw it in a box where it sat for the next 17 years.

Finally dug it up a year or so ago and called Ruger, they sent me a prepaid shipping label, I sent them a nice letter detailing specifically why there was an absence of venison in my freezer and how frustrated I was and how long it had laid in that box. I also asked them for a SBH hammer and a black powder chamfer and if they could do it, a bird's head grip frame. After all this time the gun shoots directly to the sights when I got it back, it had a SBH hammer AND a bird's head grip frame! And shined up like a mirror to boot!

Gil in customer service is THE MAN! Oh they had their fun with it too! They told me that it had been fitted with a Bisley grip frame and they didn't have any bird's head frames, said it had a Bisley hammer and trigger on it now, they played it to the MAX! Man, when I opened that box and saw what was in it, I hollered and danced around like a kid at Christmas!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/DSC01294_zps7e5319f3.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/DSC01294_zps7e5319f3.jpg.html)

Changeling, I hope yours comes back shooting to the sights and grouping decently. I know too well the frustrations of having one that don't! Even after mine came back in all it's beauticious glory, it had .450" cylinder throats and a .449" thread constriction. It was badly constricted I guess from clocking the barrel a bit to get the windage to come in?

I traded some stag grips for a Brownell's forcing cone cutter kit, a .4525" Manson reamer, AND the in-the-frame Taylor throating reamer. An afternoon on my bench with the tools and some tap magic has this one dimensionally corrected in every sense of the word.

Finally, it shoots as good as it looks, and in the end, it was worth the trouble..

Changeling
02-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Thanks AB but I know I have the right phone number: 603 865-2442. This is the support number for Revolvers, shotguns,rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol.
Ruger sent me an email with all pertinent information. It's just that they are so busy I guess, as they say. I'll start again Monday, sooner or later I'll get through. Thhanks for the offer though.

Char-Gar
02-02-2014, 04:12 PM

There are two kinds of warrantees, expressed and implied. Whether or not the manufacturer makes an expressed warranty, the law (Uniform commercial Code) creates several implied warrantees by operation of law. So everything made in this country comes with warrantees, whether there is one in the box or not. Ruger knows this and hence they fix their mistakes.

762 shooter
02-02-2014, 06:35 PM
There are two kinds of warrantees, expressed and implied. Whether or not the manufacturer makes an expressed warranty, the law (Uniform commercial Code) creates several implied warrantees by operation of law. So everything made in this country comes with warrantees, whether there is one in the box or not. Ruger knows this and hence they fix their mistakes.

Agreed sir, but the implied warranty of merchantability of goods is this:

The warranty of merchantability is implied, unless expressly disclaimed by name, or the sale is identified with the phrase "as is" or "with all faults." To be "merchantable", the goods must reasonably conform to an ordinary buyer's expectations, i.e., they are what they say they are.

Pretty generic and basically covers the fact that it is a working firearm.

Sorry for the Hijack.

prs
02-02-2014, 06:43 PM
When I,do a mod, I often do the work on new parts and keep the OE parts in case the fire arm does have to return. Ruger has been very good to me.

prs

Char-Gar
02-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Agreed sir, but the implied warranty of merchantability of goods is this:

The warranty of merchantability is implied, unless expressly disclaimed by name, or the sale is identified with the phrase "as is" or "with all faults." To be "merchantable", the goods must reasonably conform to an ordinary buyer's expectations, i.e., they are what they say they are.

Pretty generic and basically covers the fact that it is a working firearm.

Sorry for the Hijack.

There is also an implied warrantee for " fitness of purpose", which means the object does what is supposed to do. In the case at hand this would cover a Ruger handgun that does not do what it was sold to do. A revolver that does not give adequate accuracy to do what it is sold to do, is in violation of this warranty. The issue is what is adequate accuracy and I have no answer to that.

But this is all academic. Ruger will fix a bad revolver if it does not meet THEIR standards. Not to do so is just bad business plus violates implied warranties. A fellow can void the warranties by doing accuracy destroying modification if Ruger wants to push the issue. However that is a business decision and not a legal decision.

My only point is all manufactured objects come with implied warranties that the manufacturer cannot exclude or disclaim. Therefore to say Ruger doesn't come with a warranty is not accurate. Consumers need to understand that manufacturers can't run away from making stuff that is safe and does what it is sold to do. Manufacturers would love to make it, sell it and forget it, but they cannot. Folks that lay out their hard earned money need this protection from rapacious makers of stuff.

762 shooter
02-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Point taken.

44man
02-03-2014, 10:32 AM
The best gun maker to care for you ever is Ruger. However I will never leave my parts, like the longer transfer bar in a gun I send back. I have a 1-1/2# trigger and know they will change out parts. It means more work for me.
Long ago I was sitting at a bench at a shoot cleaning my bore. My shooting box was on another bench and someone picked it up by mistake, same box he had. I lost the cylinder.
I called Ruger, they gave me a price and I sent the gun back with a check.
Later I got the gun back with a new cylinder, then a few days later I got the check back. I called and the nice lady said FREE!
Then the guy hunted me down and returned my box so I have two cylinders.
I would like my barrel set back in my SBH because after about 72,000 rounds, the cone is sandblasted pretty good. It still shoots good and I might make the frame wrench and barrel wrench myself and buy the facing tool to get the gap right.
But I will NEVER complain about Ruger and you should deal with other makers today to see. Things have changed.

white eagle
02-03-2014, 10:44 AM
I agree from the limited experience I have actually needed from them they have been top shelf

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Previously mentioned in this thread were 10" groups and possible "barrel steel" flaws.
I'd like to add:
Have you closely inspected the Muzzle/Crown ?

Char-Gar
02-03-2014, 12:10 PM
A few years back, I bought an OM Ruger BH in a pawn shop for $160.00. Somebody had drilled a couple of holes in the top strap for scope mount screws and the barrel forcing cone and cylinder throats were eroded and pitted beyond use. I plugged the hole and sent the handgun back to Ruger where they installed a new barrel and cylinder, blued it and sent it back, all for $110.00. They installed the new lockwork, but as per my request send the old parts back which I quickly reinstalled. Later I installed a stainless steel trigger guard/back strap from a ROA, a steel ejector rod housing and Belt Mountain base pin. I traded Doc O'Meara out of some horn Gunfighter grips and fitted them to the frame. It is one fine 38/357 sixgun and shoots like a house-a-fire.

Needless to say, I am a fan of Ruger service. Oh yes, the original barrel was 5.5 inches but Ruger installed a shorter barrel as per my request.

44man
02-03-2014, 04:04 PM
A thing of beauty, nothing on earth is so pleasing as a great SA.

contender1
02-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Good looking OM Blackhawk there. And, you've had good service from Ruger so far & I doubt you'll be disappointed with the next round.
No, Ruger doesn't have a "written" warranty, (as it's been pointed out,) but they do prefer to handle any issues w/o the legal issues a written warranty has. Many years ago, Bill dropped the written warranty in favor of a customer service system. It has saved them tens of thousands of dollars by doing this. I have some paperwork in my stuff, (somewhere) that explained all this in terms we could all understand.
Now, looking at that fine OM Blackhawk, I was pondering something. You mentioned it "originally" had a 5.5" barrel. Ruger has never produced an OM Blackhawk 357 with a factory 5.5" barrel. The original lengths were 4-5/8" & 6-1/2". Made me wonder a bit.

Char-Gar
02-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Good looking OM Blackhawk there. And, you've had good service from Ruger so far & I doubt you'll be disappointed with the next round.
No, Ruger doesn't have a "written" warranty, (as it's been pointed out,) but they do prefer to handle any issues w/o the legal issues a written warranty has. Many years ago, Bill dropped the written warranty in favor of a customer service system. It has saved them tens of thousands of dollars by doing this. I have some paperwork in my stuff, (somewhere) that explained all this in terms we could all understand.
Now, looking at that fine OM Blackhawk, I was pondering something. You mentioned it "originally" had a 5.5" barrel. Ruger has never produced an OM Blackhawk 357 with a factory 5.5" barrel. The original lengths were 4-5/8" & 6-1/2". Made me wonder a bit.

You are correct, it was a 6.5" barrel. My memory slipped a cog. :-)

Char-Gar
02-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Oh yes, a little trick I picked up from some serious Ruger people; The ROA blue or stainless grip frame with fit the OM frame but the trigger slot is too wide for the OM trigger. A strip of brass installed on the inside of the grip frame will narrow the slot to prevent side to side motion of the trigger in the larger slot.

DougGuy
02-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Changeling, if you haven't sent that Ruger off yet, and you got a nice trigger job, you think it might make sense to order some stock parts from Brownell's or Midway and swap them in there saving your good parts for when it comes back? If they see any polishing or changing of the internals they will replace them and you may or may not get them back, depending if they fall within their specs or not. They won't return any parts that are out of spec that much I know from experience.

Changeling
02-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Changeling, if you haven't sent that Ruger off yet, and you got a nice trigger job, you think it might make sense to order some stock parts from Brownell's or Midway and swap them in there saving your good parts for when it comes back? If they see any polishing or changing of the internals they will replace them and you may or may not get them back, depending if they fall within their specs or not. They won't return any parts that are out of spec that much I know from experience.

Hi Doug , I didn't have any extra parts for the trigger job. The trigger job was done on the original Ruger parts (Manual adustments). Thanks for the reply and thought though.
The real trigger job will come when everything is working correctly. If I ever get through to RUGER!

enfieldphile
02-05-2014, 08:45 AM
+1!

I bought a Ruger RAR Rifle this past fall. It would not group. I contacted Ruger CS. They sent a shipping label and I dropped the rifle off @ a UPS hub. A week later l got a call from CS stating they were replacing the entire rifle w/ a new one. I can't ask for anything more then that.

As per the other posters that mentioned OEM parts, I too put the factory trigger return spring back in the RAR prior to shipping it back to Ruger.

Semantics...

They have an awesome CUSTOMER SERVICE, even if they don't call it a WARRANTY...

birch
02-06-2014, 09:14 PM
I have a GP100 that will shoot with any fine double/single action revolver on the planet.

I also had an old model Vaquero in .45 Colt that was the most worthless shooting .45 I have ever had. I was new to reloading, so I cannot completely blame the gun, but it seldom shot to POA more than 5 times in a row. I did everything I could and even had a buddy take it to a SA smith course in Colorado.

ravenn
02-08-2014, 03:29 PM
I have a Ruger Bisley /Blackhawk .45 .5.5" barrel. I sent it back last spring because it would led like the dickens and would not group. I ask them to check the cylinder bores and the barrel. They sent it back 20 days later with a new barrel and a test target. Three round group all cutting each other at 15 yards. I fired some 255 Gr.Bitter Root Valley led semiwadcutters through it, and it shot like a champ. I've since had the grip frame rounded and now it's officially "mine" I love it...

Rich and Ky

TXGunNut
02-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Very nice OM, Char-Gar.

C. Latch
03-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Any updates?

Changeling
03-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Any updates?

Hi Latch.
I have called Ruger practically every day now 1 to 3 times and all I get is: We are experiencing an unusually heavy traffic, please call back later! I have called from early in the morning till before they close to no avail (603 865-2442) !
This is the number I was given by them to call for the RMA number to send the revolver back. I'm not to happy with Ruger at this point!!
To me it seems they are a company in transition to some new level, like most companies now.
Sell it and forget it, when customers call, give them the old "Bums Rush"!

DougGuy
03-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Ruger FAQs..

Q: I have not been able to get through to customer service or an operator at ShopRuger.com; what should I do?
A: Please be patient. We have received an unprecedented volume of calls and are working to increase capacity and improve call center performance.

Also, on this page: http://www.ruger.com/footer/contact.html# you can submit an online request and they will email you an RMA, but I think in the comments box if you will ask them to call you (along with a detailed description of the problem with the firearm) they just may. I got an RMA online that I was gonna have to pay the shipping for, but then finally got through to a live person and they emailed me a shipping label, and I got a different RMA. I would keep trying, and fill out the online request asking for customer service to call you and verbally give you an RMA.

C. Latch
03-16-2014, 05:30 PM
I broke a part on my Blackhawk the other day (transfer bar; I noticed the pinch but thought it was a feature, not a bug, so ignored it until the bar broke) and after reading so much about their CS I just ordered a new one from Brownells and installed it then did the pinch-fix on my own. Kinda hard to do that with a barrel, though, without spending some serious coin.

Changeling
03-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Well Doug, I just sent them another email as suggested. Hopefully I will hear something soon.

Changeling
03-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Ruger FAQs..

Also, on this page: http://www.ruger.com/footer/contact.html# you can submit an online request and they will email you an RMA, but I think in the comments box if you will ask them to call you (along with a detailed description of the problem with the firearm) they just may. I got an RMA online that I was gonna have to pay the shipping for, but then finally got through to a live person and they emailed me a shipping label, and I got a different RMA. I would keep trying, and fill out the online request asking for customer service to call you and verbally give you an RMA.

Hi Doug, I did as you suggested and received a call today ( Mon, March 17) from Janet at Ruger to straighten out my problem.
She gave me an RMA number and UPS will pickup the Revolver this Wednesday. I'm supposed to just put there label on the box with the address and RMA number.

This is the first time in my life I have ever had to send a a firearm back to the maker! I should have listened to Jim and done it when he said to, but I was sure I could figure it all out "WRONG"! Anyway, I wanted to thank you for the advise and let you know what was going on.
Oh, I also asked for any parts replaced to be sent back to me. We'll see.

DougGuy
03-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Gonna miss Jim.. Maybe he will come back. Glad you got something shaking with Ruger, there's no need to put up with one that won't shoot. You know the story behind mine, LOL sitting disassembled in a box for 17yrs, that's how p'ssed off I was about it.

Changeling
03-17-2014, 07:03 PM
Gonna miss Jim.. Maybe he will come back. Glad you got something shaking with Ruger, there's no need to put up with one that won't shoot. You know the story behind mine, LOL sitting disassembled in a box for 17yrs, that's how p'ssed off I was about it.

What are you talking about? Has something happened to Jim?

DougGuy
03-17-2014, 08:35 PM
He left the forum afaik... I thought he left, but his profile is active and recent so maybe I was mistaken or mixed him up with another Jim that left. I dunno..

tacklebury
03-17-2014, 08:44 PM
I had to send my .45 Colt/ .45 ACP back also. At 15 yards, I couldn't hit an 18 x 18 backstop and neither could anyone else. Ruger replaced the barrel and both cylinders and performed a trigger job and when it came back, it's nearly a match grade pistol. Last deer I shot had a hole perfectly through both ventricles of his heart and it'll do that every time if I do my part. ;) Hopefully, they will figure out it's issues and get it fixed for you. Now my ACP cylinder is just as accurate too, if not a bit more accurate than the Colt. ;)

Tar Heel
03-17-2014, 09:13 PM
I have had handguns ruined by some of the biggest names in the custom gunsmith business.

Hamilton Bowen and Alex Hamilton (10 Ring Precision) are two more names you can trust.

Agree on both counts! Bowen rocks.

Tar Heel
03-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Funny thing is I purchased a 'jeweled' Ruger in '90 with a custom action job and a rebarrel (Bowen). The owner had decided to burr up the trigger for some reason and the darn revolver bites hard when you shoot it. I've been shooting it for 20+ years like that and today, decided to call Ruger to order a new (factory) trigger which I can install. After explaining the situation, the aftermarket action job and the previous owner with a dremel tool on the trigger, Ruger refused to take any money for the new factory trigger. They simply stated that one was 'on the way' to me. They have some of the best customer service in the industry and as indicated in all the above posts, they do in fact stand behind their products.