PDA

View Full Version : Double Dip The Chip??

LUBEDUDE
01-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Hey with Super Bowl Weekend coming up the following scenerio is bound to come up. Just like in Seinfeld, the battle between George and Timmy.

George dips his chip, takes a bite, re-dips the same chip into the community bowl of dip for a second bite. Timmy jumps all over him for double dipping. Saying that is the same as putting your mouth in the bowl. George says it's no big deal. A big verbal fight insues.

So what says you wise ones??

Double Dip ok? Or Not??

Now this dipping with non family members at the same time.

merlin101
01-29-2014, 03:36 PM
I double dip all the time, but then again I OWN the bowl!

sparky45
01-29-2014, 03:36 PM
Absolutely not!! Especially at this time of year, FLU SEASON!!

429421Cowboy
01-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Nasty

powderburnerr
01-29-2014, 04:18 PM
absolutely , then you have the dip to yourself,

ACrowe25
01-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Is it double dipping if I dip, bite half the chip, strategically reverse the chip 180, and dip the unbitten portion? Lol

SciFiJim
01-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Put a spoon in the community dip bowl.

Everyone spoons out the amount desired onto their own plate and can dip from that any way they want.

Bullshop Junior
01-29-2014, 04:29 PM
I double, heck sometimes triple dip. No one has ever got on my case.

MBTcustom
01-29-2014, 04:35 PM
The folks that I usually share Superbowl with don't care.
We are family and friends, and unless I know about some disease that's especially catchy, I'll share a bowl, cup, bottle, or stein with any of them.
Read Little House on the Prairie. A whole family sharing the same cup.
Lot's of these things are really inconsequential.
I see it no different than shaking hands with someone. Do I run inside and wash my hands as soon as I get a chance? No. That would be seen as over the top.

plmitch
01-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Gross! Might as well be spiting into someone else mouth. That ranks up there with not washing hands after using the restroom.

obssd1958
01-29-2014, 04:36 PM
One large bowl of dip to scoop from - into smaller bowls for each individual!

Then they can double dip to their hearts content, and I won't have to slap their hands!!!

Menner
01-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Never shared a Coke with a friend when you were a kid? Never Kissed a girl on a blind date (or go further)? never ate the steak that your mom (or somebody else) could not finish? Never drank from a Beer Bong at a party? Never ate from the same popcorn box at the movies? (how often do lick the salty butter off your fingers before reaching back in the box for more) Shall I keep going? My Lovely Wife is a Germ a Phobe and I am the opposite does not bother me one bit Just Saying

Bullshop Junior
01-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Gross! Might as well be spiting into someone else mouth. That ranks up there with not washing hands after using the restroom.

You are supposed to wash after..?

AK Caster
01-29-2014, 05:06 PM
I am guessing most of you would not French kiss some beautiful lady you just met without knowing her health history.
Well, I would:)

obssd1958
01-29-2014, 06:45 PM
I am guessing most of you would not French kiss some beautiful lady you just met without knowing her health history.
Well, I would:)

If I French kissed some beautiful lady that I had just met, I could tell you that I wouldn't have any health - I would just be history.

My wife would make sure of that!!!!!

bear67
01-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Gee Lube, what is a super bowl. Maybe a large container to hold dip. People look at me funny when I tell them I am old enough to vote X at least 3 times 21, but have never watched a football game on TV. Watched lots of high school ball especially when Son and now grand sons play. Heck, I used to announce Texas 6 man football games up through the state finals.

Enjoy the game and I will go play in the shop.

I just can't get excited about college and pro games on TV. Might go to an Aggie game in person, if someone else buys the ticket.

waksupi
01-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Some of you fellers wouldn't be much fun, passing a jug around the campfire. The fastidious types might wipe the top in their arm pit a bit if some one ahead was a tobacco chewer, or known back washer. Durned flat landers.

williamwaco
01-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Sparky + 1

gbrown
01-29-2014, 09:56 PM
If it is one of my family, who I would kiss on the mouth, regardless of gender, that's fine. Someone outside my household--no. Very tacky in my way of thinking--you stingy on chips? Plenty of chips, why you need to double dip? I'm not a clean freak, but it's just common sense. We share bites, bottles of water, bottles of soda, cups, spoons/forks and everything else, but we are family. That's my measurement--family, fine--everyone else, NO! IMHO

osteodoc08
01-29-2014, 09:57 PM
If it's me and family, dip away. If I'm at a party with folks I don't know that well, single dip. It's more a respect thing than double dip thing.

MaryB
01-30-2014, 02:35 AM
Absolutely NOT if it is more than family. Family all tend to get sick and share the germs anyway so it doesn't matter.

WilliamDahl
01-30-2014, 03:00 AM
Absolutely NOT if it is more than family. Family all tend to get sick and share the germs anyway so it doesn't matter.

As I've gotten older, I have gotten a lot more anti-social (not that I was that social in my younger days) and as such, I just do not shake hands when offered. I have found that by doing this and washing my hands as soon as possible after I touch something that might be contaminated (door knob, etc) that I get significantly less colds.

The side effect of this is that my wife thinks that I'm unromantic and I don't get laid as much anymore.

Then again, maybe *that* is why I'm not catching colds so often anymore...... Hmmmm......

Seriously though, if you want to cut down on your colds, don't associate with kids or anyone else who associates with kids. I've heard kids described as "petri dishes with legs" and I entirely believe it.

Blacksmith
01-30-2014, 04:31 AM
Double dipping is fine with me , that's why I only invite good looking women to my Super Bowl parties. Maybe the double dipping will lead to skinny dipping later.

Ajax
01-30-2014, 05:09 AM

My issue with washing your hands after using the restroom is probably from me being a bit of a germ aphobe. I wash my hands prior to using the restroom you just grabbed everything everyone else has all day opening the door. I wash after using the restroom out of common decency. I use a paper towel to open the door because if you don't you just grabbed every penis of the guys who don't wash.

Andy

WilliamDahl
01-30-2014, 05:34 AM
That ranks up there with not washing hands after using the restroom.

And if you've been cutting habanero peppers, you will soon learn to wash your hands very well BEFORE using the restroom.

762 shooter
01-30-2014, 08:42 AM
We were taught not to pee on your hands.:takinWiz:

Charlie Two Tracks
01-30-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm from Illinois. Double dipping means a whole other thing around here. It's quite popular in the political circles.

garym1a2
01-30-2014, 09:19 AM
If your married you are supposed to wash before also.

You are supposed to wash after..?

Bullshop Junior
01-30-2014, 09:52 AM
If your married you are supposed to wash before also.

I usually wash before if i an in a store since my hands are covered in mud and oil and grease. 90% of the time I wiz outside since im not really gonna drop everything to drive to the closest restroom.

Boyscout
01-30-2014, 10:16 AM
I break my chips and dip each piece. My father used to STIR the salsa with the piece he had partially eaten; it made me want to scream. I used the french kiss anaolgy. "Double dipping is the biological equivalent of french kissing the double dippers around the table; look around; do you really want to do that?" It was a table of men. Stopped them dead!

jcwit
01-30-2014, 10:20 AM
In a word, NOPE, my health is something dear to my heart.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-30-2014, 12:16 PM
I thought only democrats and liberals double dipped?

osteodoc08
01-30-2014, 12:54 PM
And if you've been cutting habanero peppers, you will soon learn to wash your hands very well BEFORE using the restroom.

I remember one time as a kid, I was trying to help set the table. My father loved hot peppers and I put some on his plate. I went to the bathroom before dinner and.........I still remember to wash after handling things like that.

FLINTNFIRE
01-30-2014, 05:50 PM
This came up last night with the teenage daughter and my little kids , am informed that according to tests your chips and dip have germs already and that the double dipping adds very little more , sorry with 3 under the age of 5 there is double dipping and sharing off plates , guess I am not a complete germ phobic , been a lot of jugs passed around the fires and in the crummys coming out of the woods , put out bowls of single user size for your guests , am not wasting my time on the superbowl.

DeanWinchester
01-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Personally, I wouldn't share the dip bowl at all. Why not use smaller bowls or a ramekin for each individual person?

WilliamDahl
01-30-2014, 05:54 PM
I have noticed that if you make up a container of sour cream ranch dip and put it in the refrigerator, it lasts longer without greenery growing on it than a similar container that you even single dip out of. Double dipping would introduce even more bacteria to the medium and result in more greenery. Salsa doesn't seem to promote the growth of greenery as readily though.

MaryB
01-31-2014, 01:12 AM
I make my own chili powder form 12 different dried chili's. I grind them in the kitchen then mix in a large bowl before putting in jars to send to family. Friend walked in one day and I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance the way he started choking and turning red. I am used to the pepper dust and the only one that really gets to me is habenero dust, makes my nose run and eyes water. My chili powder is HOT one teaspon to a pot of chili is usually enough for most people. I use more like 2 tablespoons.

catmandu
01-31-2014, 07:13 AM
Flue season aside, I think we are setting up our immune systems for failure. Kids in Mexico drink out of puddles and are fine. We drink bottled water and get sick. Also eating something within 5 days of its expiration date is fine as long as it passes the snif test and was stored properly.

Paul in WNY

762 shooter
01-31-2014, 07:30 AM
Don't get me started on expiration dates.:roll:

WilliamDahl
01-31-2014, 08:16 AM
Flue season aside, I think we are setting up our immune systems for failure. Kids in Mexico drink out of puddles and are fine. We drink bottled water and get sick. Also eating something within 5 days of its expiration date is fine as long as it passes the snif test and was stored properly.

Sniff test or not, if there is greenery growing on it, I am very unlikely to eat it. The exception to this would be dry aged beef.

Apparently the greenery that is growing is not harmful since I give the food to my dogs for "disposal" and they are still alive and quite happy for the change in diet, but personally, I won't eat it.

dragon813gt
01-31-2014, 08:17 AM
Don't get me started on expiration dates.:roll:

Expiration dates on certain items are spot on. Ground beef usually goes bad a day or so after. Other items not so much. Then you have Sell By, Use By and Best By. Most of them are to get you to throw out good food and buy more.

As far as double dipping, absolutely not. Having a healthy immune system is one thing. Which is why you don't disinfect everything when you have kids. But double dipping is just poor manners all around. As far as washing your hands after using the restroom. I'm able to go w/ out touching any part down there. I also have a hard time understanding why a part that's covered up all day and not exposed to the elements is so "dirty." Restroom doors are supposed to swing out so you don't have to touch anything. But to many of them don't.

Col4570
01-31-2014, 08:17 AM
Think heppatitis.

WilliamDahl
01-31-2014, 08:24 AM
I'm able to go w/ out touching any part down there. I also have a hard time understanding why a part that's covered up all day and not exposed to the elements is so "dirty." Restroom doors are supposed to swing out so you don't have to touch anything. But to many of them don't.

Assuming we're talking about urinals here, you must remember that the liquid stream sometimes splashes or causes a slight mist when it hits the urinal. That might just be your urine or it might contain the germs that were already on that surface. Some people are very disgusting and apparently stand well away from the urinal while also having a very bad aim. In the grand scheme of things, I suspect that peeing on a tree is more germ-free.

WilliamDahl
01-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Think heppatitis.

Not something to mess around with. Remember Chi-Chi's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi-Chi%27s)?

mold maker
01-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Your immune system won't work without prior experience. That is what immunization shots do. The strange bug is introduced, in an safe form, to give the immune system experience.
Small doses of what is in the environment causes immunity. Without that, you are open to everything. We can be too clean, as in never getting out in the presence of others. We are not exposed to the everyday expanding amounts of presently common germs. Thus when we either get something from outside our small environment, or venture out, we encounter massive doses of strange bugs.
Using hand washing and hand sanitizers is only a step towards good health, as in one step forward and two steps back. We inhale the germs that everyone else exhaled up to an hour before us. The filthy chair we sit on is only a slightly damp cloth layer or two from everyone elses you know what. The floor/sidewalk we walk on transfers every ones spit/hark and who knows what else, into our home and onto our hands.
I consider what I handle in the restroom to be the cleanest thing there. I do not touch anything there (door and fixture knobs) without a paper towel.
The very best we can do is never going to totally protect us.

Bullshop Junior
01-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Ive never had anykind of shots. Other then tetnes once when I was about 10. I never get sick. I cant tell you the last time I had a cold. Im not the cleanest germ free guy by a long shot

Bullshop
01-31-2014, 09:46 AM
I heard you just recently had a shot and as you said it was not by a long shot.

jcwit
01-31-2014, 09:52 AM
Ive never had anykind of shots. Other then tetnes once when I was about 10. I never get sick. I cant tell you the last time I had a cold. Im not the cleanest germ free guy by a long shot

Famous last words "I never get sick".

I thought the same, till I came down with cancer.

Illness and ones health is not something to play around with, and uncleanliest is not a virtue.

I played the odds with the polio shots back in the latter 50's, I had polio in 1956. I came close to loosing the game altogether.

dragon813gt
01-31-2014, 10:05 AM
I never get sick.
Famous last words and ones you should never say. You are in your "invincible" phase of life. I can assure you, you are not. While I rarely get sick I do feel "ill" more then when I was in my twenties. At 34 this wasn't long ago.

WilliamDahl
01-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Famous last words "I never get sick".

I thought the same, till I came down with cancer.

I suspect that cancer if one of those things that everyone will get if they can just manage to live long enough. It's kind of nature's way of regulating the species so that we don't last so long. Some people either have lifestyle choices that result in them getting it sooner or they're just unlucky enough to have genes that make them more susceptible to it. Despite all my efforts to the contrary, my "hold my beer" moments have yet to kill me. If nothing else gets me, maybe it will be cancer one of these days. I was kind of hoping for it to be more of a "blaze of glory" type of ending, but I'm getting a bit too old for blazes OR glories. :)

Col4570
01-31-2014, 11:07 AM
Reminds me of when I was an apprentice many years ago.Most guys had a Mashing Can,this was for Tea.I was warned early not to accept any Tea from a Guy named Nobby due to his habbit of washing his dentures out in the tea after eating his Bacon sandwiches.A generous man he was oblivious of the indelicacy of his generosity.Anyone feeling just a bit queezy.

mtnman31
01-31-2014, 12:31 PM
I say your double dipping depends on the crowd. If it was me and my less civilized male friends, no one would likely bat an eye if a chip were to be double dipped. If it was my wife and her friends, I'd hear about it and be cast outdoors.

As a general practice of health, I only double dip from a container that I alone use. If it is shared, I try not to double dip. As mentioned, it is a good way to spread sickness. Think of it this way, if you were at a salad bar and the guy in front of you stuck his fork in the potato salad and took a taste then went for a second taste, would you follow up with a helping of potato salad on your plate? I wouldn't.

That being said, all my years of camping, third-world living, and field exercises in the military - I have eaten some things that boggle the mind... I guess I tend to have a strong stomach that can take just about anything.

Bullshop
01-31-2014, 01:15 PM
hmmm - just one question ... any of you ever go out to eat?

BS Mom

Bullshop Junior
01-31-2014, 02:56 PM
I say your double dipping depends on the crowd. If it was me and my less civilized male friends, no one would likely bat an eye if a chip were to be double dipped. If it was my wife and her friends, I'd hear about it and be cast outdoors.

As a general practice of health, I only double dip from a container that I alone use. If it is shared, I try not to double dip. As mentioned, it is a good way to spread sickness. Think of it this way, if you were at a salad bar and the guy in front of you stuck his fork in the potato salad and took a taste then went for a second taste, would you follow up with a helping of potato salad on your plate? I wouldn't.

That being said, all my years of camping, third-world living, and field exercises in the military - I have eaten some things that boggle the mind... I guess I tend to have a strong stomach that can take just about anything.

Id go for the potato salad.

Love Life
01-31-2014, 03:14 PM
Reminds me of the Super Bowl 5 years ago when I watched two friends get into a knock down, drag out, brawl over double dipping.

WilliamDahl
01-31-2014, 07:53 PM

BS Mom

From some of the restaurants that I've seen, I'm pretty sure it is a case of "ignorance is bliss".

dragon813gt
01-31-2014, 08:23 PM

BS Mom

Just got back from eating at the dinner. Not worried in the least. Same as I don't worry about bathrooms....well I never attempt to use one at a mushroom farm :mad:

Blacksmith
01-31-2014, 09:43 PM
My father was a health inspector and said some of the fanciest restaurants were the biggest violators. You want to eat where the health inspector does.

largom
01-31-2014, 10:03 PM
Since I refuse to watch the super bowl I don't have to worry about single or double dipping.

Larry

bear67
01-31-2014, 10:51 PM
Me too Larry. May be some dipping though as we are having a sixteenth birthday party for my grand daughter Sunday. Will take her shooting in the AM, maybe shoot her red, white and blue 10-22, Papa fixed up just for her

She did order Dutch Oven Cheesecake for the celebration and I will comply.

CastingFool
01-31-2014, 11:59 PM
Reminds me of a time we went to a party being held by some friends from church. My youngest daughter was about 5 and ate a whole bowl of dip, with maybe 4 chips. She kept dipping and dipping, and eventually the chip would break and she would grab another one, and this went on until the bowl was empty. I never noticed what she was doing, but the youth pastor did and told us after the fact.

MaryB
02-01-2014, 01:28 AM
Oh yeah restaurants are nasty. At the casino I worked for we needed to run some data lines over the top of the buffet kitchen, asked the chef to shut down a lane so we could pull ceiling tiles out. He refused, we had work to do so pulled tiles over the top of food. Dust, mouse ****... whatever was up there was raining down on the food.

WILCO
02-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Absolutely not!! Especially at this time of year, FLU SEASON!!

Yep. Just common sense and good manners.

waynem34
02-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Everybody bring dip and beer .In a shoulder holster.Get a grip on a chip whoop out your spray dip and beer and voila.Nice and santary.

waynem34
02-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Oh yeah restaurants are nasty. At the casino I worked for we needed to run some data lines over the top of the buffet kitchen, asked the chef to shut down a lane so we could pull ceiling tiles out. He refused, we had work to do so pulled tiles over the top of food. Dust, mouse ****... whatever was up there was raining down on the food.

Thats not funny.That would cause me to go crazy.I am so funny about my food.I will not fast food again.

MaryB
02-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Native American casino so health regs were kind of ignored to begin with. You could skate on the grease on the floor back by the fryers. I never ate there, we were one of the few that could leave for lunch so we would send one of the crew in to town to pick ours up.

Col4570
02-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Yes you still get a few places where customers wipe their feet when leaving the premises.

Col4570
02-02-2014, 11:26 AM
The worst one is when some drunk dips his full house hot Dog in your coffee.