PDA

View Full Version : Cookie tins???

WolfSpring
01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
I was wondering what cookie tins are made from? My work got a ton of them and I brought a bunch home the kids ate all the cookies and I was playing with the can and it is magnetic. I was wondering if these are tin? If so what percentage, is it good for anything? I use them for storage a lot, that and popcorn tins but they get damaged and after time thrown away.

mrbillbus
01-29-2014, 03:38 PM
I was wondering what cookie tins are made from? My work got a ton of them and I brought a bunch home the kids ate all the cookies and I was playing with the can and it is magnetic. I was wondering if these are tin? If so what percentage, is it good for anything? I use them for storage a lot, that and popcorn tins but they get damaged and after time thrown away.

Tin is old school. It was actually "tinned" cans. They used it to keep the base steel from rusting. Now most cans have a polymer coating of some sort for that purpose. I highly doubt that your "tins" have anything but sheet steel in them.

Bill

merlin101
01-29-2014, 03:38 PM
"Tin" cans havent been made from tin in a long time. What you have is painted(or some other coating) thin rolled steel. Use for boolit storage not boolit casting :)

BIGRED
01-29-2014, 04:56 PM
2nd clue. Magnetic = Ferrous = steel/iron. Tin is not Magnetic

WolfSpring
01-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Are you sure tin is not magnetic?!?! I remember as a kid doing recycling you kept a magnet to sort the tin cans form the aluminum, again I was a kid so my memory may be off, but I thought it was. I should have known it was not tin don't know what crazy things I was thinking

bangerjim
01-29-2014, 09:34 PM
Are you sure tin is not magnetic?!?! I remember as a kid doing recycling you kept a magnet to sort the tin cans form the aluminum, again I was a kid so my memory may be off, but I thought it was. I should have known it was not tin don't know what crazy things I was thinking

TIN IS NOT MAGNETIC!!!!!!!!!!!

The magnet attracted the steel under the thin tin plating. As stated above, the term "tin can" is decades out of date. Everything today is polymer coated.

Old toys were called "tin plate" because the steel is PLATED with a thin layer of tin....to protect the steel from rust.

Sorry, you do NOT have a treasure trove of tin you can use for casting!

bangerjim

dale2242
01-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Cookie "Tins" make great boolit storage containers.
Stand the sized/lubed boolits on end with layers of light cardboard between.
They work quite well for short handgun boolits.....dale

CastingFool
01-30-2014, 09:18 AM
If the cookie tins are thin enough, maybe they would work for gas checks. Just a thought.

William Yanda
01-30-2014, 10:07 AM
Use the lids for pan lubing boolets. Call it an effort to promote domestic harmony.

WolfSpring
01-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Could also use them as targets. So I did my research after hearing tin wasn't magnetic. I am not going to revisit this as there are extensive arguments about it. But I do understand why when I was younger that tin cans were attracted to magnets and it has nothing to do with the kind of tin that is used in bullets. thank you for the education. Only thing I don't like about these cookie tins is they don't stack well at all. If they did that would be awesome, but I like the bullet idea of holding them. Thank you guys for putting up with my ignorance.