PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 SPC Primers…

BCB
01-29-2014, 11:39 AM
This cartridge is available with both LRP and SRP…

I am presently using the Remington case that are LRP. I have some Hornady cases on the way and I think they are SRP…

I will try them side by side with the Remington cases to see if the SRP makes any difference as opposed to the LRP--velocity, accuracy, etc with the same recipe...

Anyone have any first-hand info on the use of small primers as opposed to large primers in the same cartridge?...

Guess I’m just trying to figure out why both types of cases are made regardless of the caliber…

Thanks…BCB

Moonie
01-29-2014, 03:31 PM
The small primer brass is better for use in full Spec II loads. With the Remington stick with the standard SAAMI published loads. I use Remington for my light cast loads an my SSA for the jacketed Spec II loads.

Haven't loaded any of those up in years.

Colohunter
02-02-2014, 11:54 PM
I use all SSA small primer brass for my 6.8. I believe small rifle brass gives slightly lower velocities, but leaves more brass around the case head for extra strength and the small primers don't show pressure signs quite as quickly.

LeftyDon
02-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Remington most likely is making their 6.8 brass using some if not all of their 30 Remington brass tooling and that round had LR primers since the get go. Others might be starting from new sheet of paper or converting other brass that used SR/SP primers.