PDA

View Full Version : Ballisti cast

seekersoftheredmist
01-29-2014, 01:05 AM
i was given a ballisticast sizer luber...im getting it ready to set up and i noticed on the air cylinder there is a threaded opening on top for my regulator and air but also toward the bottom of the cylinder is another threaded hole. do i plug this or leave it open? Anyone that has any dealing with these critters and wouldnt mind helping me out... Id be much obliged! thanks!

Tech2
01-29-2014, 01:19 AM
I don't know the specifics of your machine but there are a few possibilities
1 Just a brass muffler to keep the noise down.
2 A variable restriction to slow down the speed of the piston. It is better to restrict the back side of the cylinder then the inlet.
3 A little air pressure to act as a return mechanism.

seekersoftheredmist
01-29-2014, 01:39 AM
it looks exactly like the markVI but without the digital heat box. so do i plug that side hole off or just restrict it a bit? it would be nice if i had a manual for it. but im not going to complain.

VHoward
01-29-2014, 10:33 AM
You leave that hole unplugged and unrestricted. That cylinder can be used for many different porposes and the extra hole is so you can plumb it for a return travel. You don't need that on your lube/sizer. Some people when they run out of lube, will put the nozzle of an air gun to that hole and give it some pressure to retract the piston. I have the star with air option and it is the same. I just unscrew it and pull it out when I need to add more lube. Then when I put it back on, the piston gets pushed back up.

seekersoftheredmist
01-29-2014, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the help guys! now to find some sizers that will fit this thing and figure out how to change and install them...

VHoward
01-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Do you mean sizing dies? If so, then Lathesmith on this forum can make you whatever size you need and his turnaround is fast.

I believe the Ballisticast Mark VI and the Star lube/sizer take the same sizing dies, but the punches are different. If you contact Lathesmith, just make sure you tell him the die is for the Mark VI.