PDA

View Full Version : Need load data for 12ga. with triple7 rs Select

Bulldog Brown
01-29-2014, 12:04 AM
New to loading Black Powder. Need load data or advice on a 12 ga. load using Triple 7 RS Select. Need this for Cowboy Action. Kansas State shoot coming up in May. All advice will be wecome. Bulldog Brown (using AA hulls)

Westwindmike
01-29-2014, 12:49 AM
Check out this link. It has 777 and Pyrodex loads.

http://castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/Hodgdon/Hogdgon%20Cowboy%2003.pdf

Bulldog Brown
01-29-2014, 09:45 AM
Westwindmike: Thanks for the link, will check it out. Bulldog Brown

john hayslip
01-29-2014, 12:10 PM
I had bad luck loading 777 in brass cases for a rifle. Twas horribly corrosive on brass. Probably ok in AA hulls but I'd suggest you select a different powder if you go to brass 12 ga hulls.

iron mule
01-29-2014, 09:08 PM
hey
any of the black subs are corrosive /// they are not like smokeless /// you must clean the guns and brass after shooting does not have to be immediate but do not put it off for more than 3hrs 6 at the most
i have been shooting black powder for years in cartridge guns a lot of it in cowboy action
i have guns that have had nothing but black shot in them that are 1 yrs old and look better than some that have only had smokeless in them and are a couple years old
i suggest that you use real black powder for your shells
this is the loading sequence to use
prime the hull
measure and pour the powder charge measure black powder or subs by volume not weight if you use 777 back off 10 percent of volume at to what black would require
insert over powder card i use a.030 thickness
insert fiber cushion wad i use 1/2 thick one
pour in shot charge
insert over shot card i use the same as the over powder card
crimp the shell you can either use star crimp or if you want to look like the old ones roll crimp
note--- you may need to trim the hull if this charge column does not fit the hull

if you need more info let me kno
mule

Bulldog Brown
01-29-2014, 09:17 PM
Thanks Iron Mule. I know I'll have more questions as I start loading. Bulldog