PDA

View Full Version : Same lead, same boolit, different lube w/POI change?

rockrat
01-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Shot at the range today, bit brisk. Fingers going numb after about 20 rnds. I was shooting a 375 H&H with 4759 and shooting the NOE 275gr brp copy boolit. Both groups were around an inch with one flyer opening it to about 1.75" on both groups. Could be numbing fingers or the other fellow that was shooting a 300blk SBR with a brake, a fraction of a second before my trigger broke.

Used different lubes, one a BAC+CR blend and another I worked up, which is harder. The softer lube shot about 1.5" lower than the harder lube.

Is this normal?

The NOE 382-235 boolit, mould made with the 35-200 cherry offset a bit, shot very well with 5744. More work needed on both loads.

btroj
01-28-2014, 11:08 PM
Lube change can make a huge difference.

bhn22
01-28-2014, 11:15 PM
And temps too!

btroj
01-28-2014, 11:25 PM
I view temp changes as being very similar to a lube change.

bobthenailer
01-29-2014, 08:40 AM
I ran into this years ago , all componets were the same lot number and loaded at the same time , the only difference was boolet lube , i was using RR Zambeni red and switched to LBT commercial bullet lube
accuracy was the same at 100 yards but the LBT bullets shot low , at the time i was shooting a match and was useing the ammo loaded with the boolets using the LBT lube, I just added a few clicks of elevation and all was well, a few days later i chroned the loads and the LBT lube loads averagded 68 fps less velocity than what i got with the Zambeni lube .

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-29-2014, 01:03 PM
I wish we could outlaw manure spreaders (muzzle brakes) at our range.
Never fails, you got 4 shots into a great group and the dirtbag down the line
lets loose with his side pipes when you nudge to boom switch

xacex
01-29-2014, 01:35 PM
I was next to the guy with the 50BMG bolt gun with a muzzle brake last weekend. I gave up when my notebook blew off the bench. He was nice enough to let me light it off. Man, what a beast that one was. I think it cured me from ever wanting one.

felix
01-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Lube changes (residue too) can strongly affect the acceleration curve. As long as the accuracy remains the same for the event, so what. However, always expect a change in accuracy as well as the impact location because of the F = MA rule (recoiling barrel effects, .i.e., vibes). ... felix

NVScouter
01-29-2014, 05:46 PM
I wish we could outlaw manure spreaders (muzzle brakes) at our range.
Never fails, you got 4 shots into a great group and the dirtbag down the line
lets loose with his side pipes when you nudge to boom switch

O man with the way a 300 BLK recoils...a guy might break a shoulder with that rig!