PDA

View Full Version : Value of S&W 686-1

truckerdave397
01-28-2014, 10:34 PM
So I was at a LGS today and found a S&W 686-1 four inch for $583 OTD. No scratchs or scuff marks on the stainless. No flame cut or cone issues. Large wood S&W grips. Some scuffs on the bottom of grips but no chips. No box or papers. Does not appear to be fired very much. Sights seem plain. No paint on them. I did not check the timing but handling it the gun felt tight.Does this seem like a good price? Thanks Dave

bruce drake
01-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Run...don't walk...your happy butt back to the LGS when he reopens in the morning. That's a great price for a Stainless 357 Magnum from S&W. Especially for a Dash-1 series.

One note of concern is that you don't mention a "M" struck over the model designation on the pistol's yoke. The Dash-1s required a modification from the factory for pistols assembled prior to 1987. That was the year a recall was sent to owners of base 686/586's owners and the Dash-1 owners for potential issues with cylinder binding when shooting 357 Magnum ammunition. 38 Special ammo was not an issue with these L-frame pistols.

S&W will pay for shipping of the pistol back to them and the return is on average 4-6 weeks for the repairs.

Bruce

osteodoc08
01-28-2014, 11:14 PM
I had a 686 no dash 8-3/8 that I foolishly sold a few years ago. I had bought it for $500 at the time and someone wanted it more than I did for more. Still wish I had it.

FYI, there is a firing pin bushing recall on those. I never sent mine in. It was GTG.

truckerdave397
01-28-2014, 11:40 PM
I forgot to add that it does have the " M". I all ready have 2 other 686s one being a 4 inch and the other a 2.5 inch or this one would have came home with me today. I think it will come home with me tomorrow.

ShootNSteel
01-29-2014, 01:45 AM
The cause of the recall was more of an ammo issue from what I hear. Soft primers had the potential to expand into the firing pin bushing upon firing, causing the cyl to bind. Smith tightened up the firing pin bushing and called it good. Better quality control for ammo has made the problem non existent from what I've read.

That's a good price!

GP100man
01-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Yep , a smaller hole in the FP recoil shield, had a 586 that would bind up with upper loads with federal primers.

Excellent price on a decent shootin iron, BUT, `round here that price is very close to a NEW GP100

GP

truckerdave397
01-29-2014, 10:02 PM
So I did pick up the 686 today. I would like to thank every one for their input. Maybe I can get my daughter to help me put up some pictures. Thanks Dave

MtGun44
01-29-2014, 11:02 PM
With enough HOT mag loads the early 686s will develop end shake and need to have
the crane stretched to correct it. I have seen some that have been stretched 3 times.
The alloy on the early guns was a tad soft so they pound a bit. Later ones - somewhere
around -4 or so do not have this limitation.

Not unsafe in any way, just they show wear and tear a bit sooner than the later
guns.

Bill

bcr
01-30-2014, 11:52 PM
S&W will pay for shipping of the pistol back to them and the return is on average 4-6 weeks for the repairs.

I don't believe this is currently true. I sent my 696-0 back to S&W for repairs last April. I got a letter from them saying they had received it and typical turn around time was 2-3 weeks. 6 months later, I sent them an email asking for an update. They responded that the work had not been done yet and that they had no idea when it would be scheduled because they're very busy. I emailed them again a few months later and got no response. I called two or three times and would wait on hold for 1/2 an hour and then give up. I sent them an email at the end of the year saying to please return it immediately, and another one the first week of January. Those didn't elicit a response. I sent another email at the end of last week saying I wanted it back immediately and if I didn't hear from them within 48 hours I would be referring the matter to my attorney. They responded the next morning saying they would send it back right away. We'll see.

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, I'm just very frustrated and upset right now, and worried about my $1000 gun.

Congratulations on your wonderful new gun, just don't send it to S&W right now for any reason.

beezapilot
02-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Just a note- sent in a Mod 66 (bought at a gun show and did not check for push off), came back home in 22 days, with a moderate repair bill and the old parts. This was less than 6 months ago. Hope that your 696 is OK...