PDA

View Full Version : MVA sight question

2ndAmendmentNut
01-28-2014, 03:22 PM
I just agreed to buy a CPA rifle from forum member Idaho Sharpshooter. The rifle currently has an MVA sight base on the tang but the sight itself has been relocated to another rifle and is not part of the sale. I have been looking on the MVA website and really want to order one.

1.) Are the MVA sights made to be a drop in fit with all of their bases or will it need to be fitted to my base?

2.) If fitting is required is it pretty simple or should I send the base back to MVA and have a new sight fitted?

3.) MVA makes their Sharps Vernier style sights and Soule style sights. Are the bases the same or do I need to figure out which one is currently on the rifle before ordering?

Thank you for your time and responses.

country gent
01-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Call MVA and talk to them. They are very helpfull and willing to offer information as needed. Ive always had good results working with them.

Boz330
01-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Give them a call they are great folks to work with and you get the answer from the horse's mouth.

Bob

Don McDowell
01-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Once you have the MVA base on your rifle then any of their sights fit it.

Gleedaniel13
01-29-2014, 12:24 AM
The support of MVA is very responsive so there is no reason why we couldn't contact them if we want there rifle.

Tatume
01-29-2014, 07:40 AM
MVA has an Internet presence.
http://montanavintagearms.com/soule.html

kokomokid
01-29-2014, 09:42 AM
MVA sight I have will move from gun to gun with different MVA and Baldwin bases. LB

johnson1942
01-29-2014, 10:10 AM
i bought a cpa 45/70 many many years ago and didnt know anything about sights, bases and such. so i just ordered a mva sight for a sharps. well as most know, wrong angle and atachment holes. i drilled and tapped a hole in the tang and it fit. and some little work on the angle setting device on the bottom(spring) and that also made it work fine. my grief doesnt have to be yours. they will send you the right one to fit when you tell them what they have.i later got the right one and put the sharps one on a long distance muzzle loader. also if you can,buy the hadley cup for hole size adjustment, but more so because it has a small buffer ring made of rubber around it. was useing the cup the other day that doesnt have it and scratched my glasses with the recoil and the rubberless cup.getting new glasses in a week but it was something i should have changed before i shot that day. have fun , you will like the cpa.

Baja_Traveler
01-29-2014, 11:09 AM
When you call MVA to order the sight of your choice, be sure to specify that you are ordering the Staff only. Otherwise the posted cost includes a base.

I've been fitting MVA bases to most of my lever guns and swapping staffs between them. As money permits I order a new staff for the next rifle in the line to avoid the swapping hassle.

2ndAmendmentNut
01-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Thank you all for the replies! I'll have to give them a call once the rifle is in hand.