PDA

View Full Version : Mini slug

beppe
01-28-2014, 03:11 PM
hello friends chargers! I made these mini slug (oal 42 mm) in our guns do not feed, nor in semiauto and no pump.
I know that you in the united states (wonderful), you have these mini slug, I explained what the rifles used? I'm curious!
:Fire:
Ciao a tutti !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and thanks for the explanation!:cbpour:

beppe
01-28-2014, 03:14 PM
here are the pictures of my little work94855

savage308
01-28-2014, 04:36 PM
I use old used shells that will not crimp good at regular 2 3/4" length and cut them down to 2" and load slugs. they work great in my rem. 870, but I have some of the factory made agulia mini shells that wont cycle at all. you might try
just a little bit longer OAL. and see if they will cycle through your guns. my reloaded slugs are slightly longer then yours. 51.55 MM

HiVelocity
01-28-2014, 05:46 PM
When the 2" Aguila shotshells first came out, they were [allegedly] made for the CASS crowd. I contacted the company, then in Texas, to ask what shotguns these would reliably function in. I was told both the Winchester 1200/1300 shotguns without modification. Then, was also told that there were gunsmiths that could modify other shotguns (870's, Mossbergs, etc) to make them function 100%, but got no names or addresses. I still think its a good idea.

Personally, I like the idea of a "standard" capacity pump shotgun having 12, or 13, 2" buckshot shells. I'd like to see Mossberg come out with a 500/590 already modified to accept the shorter shells. I'd like to see someone do a real comparison of the 2" buckshot versus the 2 3/4" buckshot. Just food for thought.

HV

bikerbeans
01-28-2014, 05:50 PM
beppe,

What is your powder charge? Do you have enough pressure to cycle your semiauto with your short slugs?

I made some short slugs at about 1.75" (44.4mm) and they would cycle in a Mossberg 500 Pump but I never tried them in an autoloader.

BB

beppe
01-28-2014, 06:46 PM
hello to all! I loaded it into my mini slug 19.5 grains of N 320, in the slug normal load 23 grains of N320.
before you try them in my rifle, I want to try the barrel manometric to control the pressure.
the gun store in my small town, it is very nice, and makes me feel my cartridges in the barrel manometric when I do these tests.

acguy45
01-28-2014, 07:31 PM
very interesting concept. Does anyone here who has successfully assembled these loads have any load data or starting points as far as making these short shells.

longbow
01-28-2014, 08:48 PM
While the short hull/slug idea is kind of appealing there are a couple of things you should think about:

- short hulls seem to generate more pressure than long hulls ~ I do not have a good answer as to why but my take is that same powder charge with same weight shot/slug no longer has a cushion leg to crush at ignition so pressure spikes, I think due to smaller volume (no increase in volume as cushion leg crushed). BPI's information indicates this is real.
- if you are using hollow base slugs be careful using them in short hulls. Hollow base slugs, made of soft lead anyway, do obturate to fill the bore. In short hulls they can obturate to fill the chamber before getting to the forcing cone. Ask me how I know. I think there were also other factors at play but I wound up holding pieces of a shotgun so loaded and the remains of the chamber showed lead starting where the hull ended.

BPI does have short hull load data for shot which can be safely used for slugs. It is speculation on my part but from what I have read and load data I have compared, it seems the slower powders do not see as much pressure spike as fast powders when a cushion leg is omitted. It would take some shooting of various loads and powders with pressure testing equipment to determine for sure though.

Not saying this can't be done safely but do check and compare loads before cobbling something together.

Longbow

acguy45
01-28-2014, 11:50 PM
While the short hull/slug idea is kind of appealing there are a couple of things you should think about:

- short hulls seem to generate more pressure than long hulls ~ I do not have a good answer as to why but my take is that same powder charge with same weight shot/slug no longer has a cushion leg to crush at ignition so pressure spikes, I think due to smaller volume (no increase in volume as cushion leg crushed). BPI's information indicates this is real.
- if you are using hollow base slugs be careful using them in short hulls. Hollow base slugs, made of soft lead anyway, do obturate to fill the bore. In short hulls they can obturate to fill the chamber before getting to the forcing cone. Ask me how I know. I think there were also other factors at play but I wound up holding pieces of a shotgun so loaded and the remains of the chamber showed lead starting where the hull ended.

BPI does have short hull load data for shot which can be safely used for slugs. It is speculation on my part but from what I have read and load data I have compared, it seems the slower powders do not see as much pressure spike as fast powders when a cushion leg is omitted. It would take some shooting of various loads and powders with pressure testing equipment to determine for sure though.

Not saying this can't be done safely but do check and compare loads before cobbling something together.

Longbow

I understand fully, I know shot shell recipes don't have as much room to grow as metallic. I was inquiring about start points and personal experiences. so I can form a general consensus.

FullTang
01-29-2014, 12:02 AM
What a coincidence---I was just downstairs putting some of these together! I used some once-fired NobelSport hulls (roomy, straight wall, low basewad) cut down to approx 2", with 22 gn Green Dot (what my Lee Load All is set to drop) and NS primer. I start loading with a gas seal (BPI's X12X in this case, but I think a number of others could be substituted) then 1/4" felt, then a Lee 7/8 oz slug inside the shot cup cut from a Windjammer wad (thin petals and not much good for anything else, IMHO.) I roll crimp; this time I skipped the clear overshot disk, and got them really small. Total length = 1-5/8", which isn't as short as the Aguila, but these seem to cycle pretty well in my gun (even semi-auto Mossberg 1000). This is a low pressure round, running around 1100 fps and less than 10,000 psi, so no worries about blowing up the guns with these. Fun overall, but a bit pointless in the end---even though I can get more in the tube, reliability concerns make these useless for home defense. Just doing it cuz I can!

acguy45
01-29-2014, 12:37 AM
What a coincidence---I was just downstairs putting some of these together! I used some once-fired NobelSport hulls (roomy, straight wall, low basewad) cut down to approx 2", with 22 gn Green Dot (what my Lee Load All is set to drop) and NS primer. I start loading with a gas seal (BPI's X12X in this case, but I think a number of others could be substituted) then 1/4" felt, then a Lee 7/8 oz slug inside the shot cup cut from a Windjammer wad (thin petals and not much good for anything else, IMHO.) I roll crimp; this time I skipped the clear overshot disk, and got them really small. Total length = 1-5/8", which isn't as short as the Aguila, but these seem to cycle pretty well in my gun (even semi-auto Mossberg 1000). This is a low pressure round, running around 1100 fps and less than 10,000 psi, so no worries about blowing up the guns with these. Fun overall, but a bit pointless in the end---even though I can get more in the tube, reliability concerns make these useless for home defense. Just doing it cuz I can!

totally understandable fun blasting on the range does not mean load me and use me for self defense. Thanks for the info. thank you for the info