PDA

View Full Version : Sugaring time in the PacNW again

quilbilly
01-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Never seen a year like it. Our maple trees are pumping so much sap, I can't boil it fast enough. I may have to plug a couple today to get caught up. Last night I had some finished syrup left over so we mixed it with whiskey for a night cap. Ummmm Gooood!

Love Life
01-28-2014, 03:07 PM
That sounds delicious!

Reg
01-28-2014, 03:32 PM
We raise hard red winter wheat. Run some through a grain grinder to a medium course grinder, add to boiling water just like creame of wheat but you have to boil it a bit longer. You want it "al dente" and just a bit more. Add double shot of good maple syrup, a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon and a small splash of milk. Now that's a breakfast for any cold morning.

You ever feel you have too much syrup on hand and would like to part with a little, let me know !!

square butte
01-28-2014, 04:16 PM
We're probably a month and a half away from sugaring season here in VT

Changeling
01-28-2014, 05:55 PM
It's so dam cold in Maryland (Frederick), the only sugar I intend to keep having is the one laying next to me at night, LOLAL!

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-28-2014, 06:01 PM
It's been below Zero degrees, day and night, for 2 to 3 days. The last thing on my mind is maple syruping ;) I bet MN is 7 to 8 weeks out yet.

quilbilly
01-29-2014, 04:03 PM
The barometer started falling last night so the trees stopped producing. Catch up time.
For the record for those on the West Coast, these trees are the native Pacific Big Leaf Maple common to the damp forests from San Francisco north to SE Alaska. These are trees that can get to 9 feet in diameter and can, in windy areas, produce the beautiful wood used in musical instruments such as guitars and cello's that is worth a dollar a pound for a raw log. In my experience, however, the best sap producers are the youngsters 8-12 inches in diameter. Sugaring time begins in January and runs through March whenever the barometer is rising or high and steady. The flavor of the syrup is slightly tangier and just as good as the East Coast maples according to Gourmet Magazine. There are a few commercial producers on Canada's Vancouver Island.

Shiloh
01-30-2014, 02:57 PM
http://www.myminnesotawoods.umn.edu/2009/03/saps-and-syrups-in-minnesota/

They make this stuff from birch trees like cooking down maple tree sap.
Never tried it. Neve even seen it offered. They say it is quite tasty though.

Shiloh

frankenfab
01-30-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm 45 years old, and I recently decide to splurge on some real Maple syrup as a "treat".

One of the best things in life, as far as I am concerned!

MaryB
01-31-2014, 12:31 AM
I need to buy a case of maple for the pantry, unopened it will keep for years

reloader28
01-31-2014, 12:44 PM
There is absolutely no comparing "maple syrup" to REAL maple syrup.
Its like comparing a frozen fish stick to a fresh walleye fillet.
Or a TV dinner to a smoked pork loin.

dragonrider
01-31-2014, 01:02 PM
What he said (above) is exactly right.

Shiloh
02-01-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm 45 years old, and I recently decide to splurge on some real Maple syrup as a "treat".

One of the best things in life, as far as I am concerned!

And after trying the real stuff, it is all the bride will use. 100% pure maple syrup.

Shiloh

Shiloh
02-01-2014, 10:59 PM
I think the various nuances in the seasons influence the quantity of sugar in the saps of different maples Bill.

Shiloh