PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Precision Alignment (P-A) Seater Dies

Alan in Vermont
01-28-2014, 02:57 PM
It seems that Lyman has discontinued the Precision Alignment seater dies. Another good product has apparently bit the dust. The very dis-interested lady I just talked to in CT knew nothing about any such product, could not tell me when they stopped making them, nor if there was any inventory of the various parts involved in them.

Anyone know anything additional/different or have any ideas of where to find any other than ebay where I already have opened an ongoing watch for them?

Bent Ramrod
01-28-2014, 03:22 PM
The first mention of the Lyman Precision Alignment die in the Handloader's Digest was the 1967 edition. The last mention was the edition of 1978. It appears that the P-A die may have been supplanted by the specialty die sets for benchrest, the small base dies, and necksize only and extra die combinations that Lyman offered in succeeding years.

I don't see them very often but they are definitely worth grabbing up when I do. The P-A and the Vickerman dies are great for seating cast boolits as the sliding chamber helps keep the lube from building up and interfering with seating depth.

enfieldphile
01-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Yes! I have a Vickerman .30 cal Seater die

A nice set up.

Alan in Vermont
01-29-2014, 03:59 PM
I managed to pick up a 22 cal. P-A seater on ebay yesterday evening. It's not the right body for 22 Hornet but it will work until I can find the right one. That may take a while as the only cartridges that use that particular body are the Hornet and K-Hornet. The one I found does 22 Jet, 221 Fireball and 222-222 Mag and 223 so it brackets the length nicely just a little bigger in diameter than the Hornet requires. No matter what it's not a loss as I do also load 223. For $22 shipped I figured the price was right as well.